R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I must be getting old -- chose MC over MCS

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by srfrman7
So, how does everyone like the manual MC compared to the MCS?
The 6-gear manual tranny is great, and is the same for both cars. The big difference is that the MCS is quite fast at a certain point and the MC is plenty lively but gets better fuel economy. Driven sanely I'm not sure there is a huge difference between the two cars. The big difference for me is that I have little real use for the impressive power an MCS makes and so it simply is not the right tool for my motoring needs. That's why I always have preferred an MC. If my needs/expectations were different, my choice would be different as the MCS is a tremendous value and a great car.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:50 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im 63, love my MC07 skateboard, has all the Mini character and power PLUS that any normal driver would want. without getting into trouble with the law. GO MINI.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:55 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At age 54, I found my MCS to be a bit sluggish and within a couple of months upgraded to the JCW package. I also found the Sport Plus suspension to be a bit soft in the turns once I got some sticky tires, so I upgraded to the JCW suspension.

I recently got a MC on loan while my MCS was in the shop and was completely underwhelmed. Not nearly enough power to safely enter major arteries from unsignaled side streets here in the DC area. Also not enough power to change lanes in bumper to bumper traffic where we are burdened with rude drivers unwilling to let anyone into their lane. I'm hoping the '07 MC has a better torque curve. The model has to suit the traffic as well as the driver.

On to the age issue, I've run into twenty somethings that are going to seed and acting like stodgy geezers. Most of my over-60 (and 70) friends in my motorcycle club, however, are still kids. Oldness is a function of the brain, not of actual age.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:11 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
I'm hoping the '07 MC has a better torque curve. The model has to suit the traffic as well as the driver.
Improved torque down low is a major feature of the '07 MC, but you're right...extreme driving situations require more extreme solutions. The MC is far, far above adequate around here. In a way it is sad that roadways in various cities (not just DC either) have become such hostile places.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:12 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
In a way it is sad that roadways in various cities (not just DC either) have become such hostile places.
True.

The most civilized driving environment I have experienced recently was in Vancouver. Drivers go out of their way to let you merge and are in many other ways quite polite. I had to tone down my DC survival driving style to accomodate the good manners.

It was a big shock moving to DC from the mountains of Colorado where people drive fast on the twisties but take their time to to say hi at the intersections.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Driven sanely I'm not sure there is a huge difference between the two cars. The big difference for me is that I have little real use for the impressive power an MCS makes and so it simply is not the right tool for my motoring needs. That's why I always have preferred an MC.
That's the sort of thing I was talking about in the other thread: You simply state your position without the need to denigrate someone else for making a different choice.

I liked the fact you were happy with your MC and decided to order the same model when you bought your new one. You felt it delivers what you need from the car and that you didn't need the extra horsepower from the MCS. Your thoughts over many months helped steer me toward the MC, too.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:45 PM
dwjj
6th Gear
The 6-gear manual tranny is great, and is the same for both cars. The big difference is that the MCS is quite fast at a certain point and the MC is plenty lively but gets better fuel economy. Driven sanely I'm not sure there is a huge difference between the two cars. The big difference for me is that I have little real use for the impressive power an MCS makes and so it simply is not the right tool for my motoring needs. That's why I always have preferred an MC. If my needs/expectations were different, my choice would be different as the MCS is a tremendous value and a great car.
They're both 6 speed Getrags, but did you notice the MC is geared lower?

Old 05-20-2007, 03:17 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dwjj
did you notice the MC is geared lower?
I didn't drive them back to back so, no, I did not notice that. Is it geared lower?? Edit: Well I'll be...they sure are different!!!

Last edited by gokartride; 05-20-2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: express utter amazement
Old 05-20-2007, 03:55 PM
skywalker
Neutral
Hi Guys,I think I'm getting old as well.I use to drive an MX5 and also a WRX before.But when I order my Cooper over the Cooper S and it was simple,cooper is just so good for everyday driving and I don't see the point having that much more extra power for everyday driving.Also because I choose the Cooper and I get to spend more money to get redwood leather,auto and comfort access compair getting the cooper s would be just basic, entry level car.There are too many speed camera around now days .Once you get done . It's not a good feeling as we all know.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:12 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I confess...I was infected/ruined at an early age by Sprites and Spitfires and Midgets so raw hp is just not my thing. The thought of 173hp sadly just doesn't get me going, although superb MINI handling most definitely does. The thought of upper 30s or even 40 mph is another huge personal attraction (a very Mini thing) so yeah, the Cooper is my choice. And yes, I did own a '91 Metro....no MINI, but a fun car.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by srfrman7
So, how does everyone like the manual MC compared to the MCS?
I am loving it! The transmission/shifter stirs through the gears easily and smoothly. I typically keep the engine above 2,000 RPM when I am driving. Seems to be a good spot.

But, keep in mind, I spend about 80 to 90 percent of my time in third gear, or lower. I have 160 miles on Romi and she is showing 27.2MPG on an average speed of 21.6MPH. She has been on the freeway twice since I picked her. The rest is all in-town driving.

An MCS would have been a waste of money for me.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
I confess...I was infected/ruined at an early age by Sprites and Spitfires and Midgets so raw hp is just not my thing. The thought of 173hp sadly just doesn't get me going, although superb MINI handling most definitely does.
Even when I was driving a Bugeye Sprite, I was addicted to more power. Most of us racing them over 3 decades ago were able to squeeze about 110 horses out of the puny 948 cc tractor engine. Doesn't sound like much, but a real kick given the car weighed less than 1200 pounds stripped down to racing weight.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I should clarify. My gas mileage is not going to be accurate. I had forgotten I had the car idling for about 4 hours this last Saturday trying to program some of the options in her.

That was an exercise in futility and frustration. Just FYI.