R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 MCS in Road and Track Comparison Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 MCS in Road and Track Comparison Test

Here’s a link to the test on the Road and Track website:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5244

This test is startlingly similar to earlier ones by MotorTrend and Car and Driver, with virtually the same car placement in each. Again, the MCS is at or near the top in objective tests and at or near the bottom in most subjective ratings. In fact, if you take a look at their points breakdown, it would have finished second based on its performance, even without the LSD or the sport suspension and on rock-hard runflats. If it was spec’d for performance (and if Mini ditched the runflats, but that’s a whole other post) I believe it could have really given the MazdaSpeed a run for its money in the handling department.

Dynamically, it is consistently right behind the first-place MazdaSpeed 3 in every single test, including acceleration. For the impatient ones: 14.9 @ 94.8mph, 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, .87g skidpad grip (much lower than most other recorded figures). But hey, these editors seem to take the Mini much more seriously than those at C&D. Still, the subjective ratings are questionable: for a car that handled so well and was effusively praised for it in the text, the ratings do not reflect this in the least…

Last edited by ygblat; 04-30-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 04-29-2007, 08:43 PM
MiniMeg
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Article from Road & Track

The new Mini (or is that the new new Mini?) is here. Well, we think this is the genuine article; as Monticello keenly observed, “Can't tell the new car from the old [2002-2006] car, unless they're parked side by side.” A tape measure would show an overall length increase of 2.4 in., with the wheelbase remaining at 97.1 in., but the style remains pure Mini — wide-eyed, wheels at the corners, a huge greenhouse and cuter than a bucket of puppies.

// var strReplaceAdStringPrefix = adstring.replace("= 0) || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("WebTV")>= 0) { var strReplaceAdStringSuffix = strAdStringWithURL.replace("",""); var strImageAdString = "

Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM
laughbuddha
2nd Gear
It seems to me the Mini was downgraded for its quirky features. While the performance on paper was second only to the Mazda speed 3, the article did denigrate the 'wonky egronomics'.

I like quirky, and I also like that the MCS has the highest MPG in the group by a wide margin - no sacrifices!

Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ygblat
For the impatient ones: 14.9 @ 94.8mph, 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, .87g skidpad grip (much lower than most other recorded figures).
This should answer the questions about the R56 in the "best handling car" thread. at .86g and 68.6 in slalom, I doubt its going to do better than the GP in handling. but 6.2 is a great time.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Old 04-30-2007, 02:08 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
Link fixed, thanks Nui!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Loui
4th Gear
Some dealers are charging a $2K second sticker for the Mazada. GTI discounts easy to come by. However, MINI is still the premium brand in this competition.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read that article today at lunch. Seems to me the MINI got a fair enough shake. Yep the MINI has wonky ergonomics, but heck that's part of the charm with a MINI. Has anyone bought a MINI for its ergonomics? It's the handling & the fun it gives. Some folks don't get it & never will. The other cars in the test are somewhat boring IMO.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:57 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
What's up with the GTI wheels?? Those are wonky. MS3 is over-budget for me AND it's Japanese. My granpa died on a ship during Pearl Harbor.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
so now your racist. thats cool

Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sdv515
so now your racist. thats cool
That comment doesn't make him a racist at all. Racist would be if he saw a japanese and thought he was going to ram into him with his car. Choosing to buy an american car over a japanese car because of family history is just his opinion.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I understand r56mini's comment. But I seriously doubt a person can buy all the goods one needs & not buy some Japanese products.

I asked my father who fought in WWII if Japanese cars bothered him. He said no to me, because among the freedoms he fought for was the freedom of choice.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
It may not be your grandpa, but does the number 6 million sound familiar? It is just as rediculous to punish the Japanese of today for Pearl Harbor as it is to blame the Germans of today for Hitler. Would you find it reasonable to be held responsible for slavery?

Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
It may not be your grandpa, but does the number 6 million sound familiar? It is just as rediculous to punish the Japanese of today for Pearl Harbor as it is to blame the Germans of today for Hitler. Would you find it reasonable to be held responsible for slavery?
Amen to that. But we should never forget!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:41 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
On topic: Thanks for the link to the article, it's always interesting to see how a car like the Mini is received by others that aren't quite as in tune with its quirks.
Not-so on topic:
I can certainly understand the sentiment of not wanting to by a Japense car if a Japanese attack claimed a relative, but a German company owns MINI...and the ***** did kill a few people back in the day. Point being, where do you draw the line?
EDIT: For background purposes, I've owned two Japanese cars and will soon own a British/German mutt of a car.

Last edited by JohnnyF; 04-30-2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Germans != Nazis
Old 04-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Point being, where do you draw the line?
That's a personal choice. He's made his choice & I understand it. I've also made my choices.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holding grudges for generations just leads to future conflicts. Protestants vs. Catholics in Ireland, Palastinians vs. Jews, Greeks vs. Turks, Serbs...this list goes on and on. Some of these gruges go back millennia.

We fire-bombed and nuked Japan. I think they got the message and are now one of the most peaceful nations on earth. Personally, I think the future will be better if we leave past grudges in the past.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
lets go back to the 0-60 times of the R56 MCS and the GP

Old 04-30-2007, 10:32 PM
5280mcs
1st Gear
Automobile manufacturing is an international business. I don't know this for fact, but I would imagine that there are several parts of the Mini's that are manufactured in Japan.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
I get that mag and couldn't believe they're still making a big deal about the speedo, give me a break and as far as the MS3 goes, well, its only .7 tenths off in the quarter mile and I'm sure with some better tires not only would that change but the handling WILL be improved upon. These articles are why that JCW Stage 1 kit needs to come out, espcially the ECU tuning part of it as a couple of us have already addressed the exhaust issue and are about to get the home-made open element K&N intake...CRACK THE CODE SOMEONE:impatient and then we can go out crack on some of our competition out there!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 PM
trackster
5th Gear
Had they just changed those 18's out for some performance wheels and tires ( non run flat ) its hard to tell how many more places higher it might have finished.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:05 AM
ygblat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by trackster
Had they just changed those 18's out for some performance wheels and tires ( non run flat ) its hard to tell how many more places higher it might have finished.
I don't think it would have simply because it faultered in the subjective ratings, not in the performance specs. Bone stock, it was a relatively close second to the MazdaSpeed.

I can understand the general public (and automotive journalists for such magazines are supposed to cater to the general public while giving only the occasional nod to enthusiasts) warming up to the more conventional layout of the VW dash or the greater space afforded by the MS3. Like someone said in a previous post, the quirkiness that we enjoy is the same trait that irks them in the MCS.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by trackster
From what I could see the Cooper S did not have the Sport Suspension or LSD. None of the cars appear to have a suspension upgrade available. I checked the GTI and couldn't find an LSD. The Sentra SE-R has an LSD available, and the Civic Si and MazdaSpeed3 come with LSD standard.

I know they rated the cars heavily based upon their performance, and I think that if the MINI had those two options, it would have taken nearly all of the performance categories. (not going to beat the MS3 in straight-line acceleration)

It was a good article though, and did approach the cars from a general consumer standpoint, but when it comes to someone purchasing a MazdaSpeed3, Nissan SE-R Spec V, and possibly the GTI, the buyer is looking for a performance car and will be specifically requesting them from the dealer. The Civic Si and Cooper S tend to be purchased by the more general consuming public, so there will be a lot more purchasers who bought the car for reasons other than performance.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:33 PM
JT-KGY
2nd Gear
I only read the objective ratings...

R56-S:
2nd in performace,
1st in MPG,
few k cheaper than 1st in performace

I'm sold

Old 05-01-2007, 02:41 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyF
I can certainly understand the sentiment of not wanting to by a Japense car if a Japanese attack claimed a relative, but a German company owns MINI...and the ***** did kill a few people back in the day. Point being, where do you draw the line?
the BRITISH suppresed the US locals. They taxed them without representation, billeted their troops in houses, and denied them freedoms under the Tyranny of a king.

yet nobody is slamming the British

Get over it ... all the wars are over (Sorry Johnny, this is not pointed at you). The world is a much smaller place for pettiness about past wars.

Originally Posted by Klasse Act
... I'm sure with some better tires not only would that change but the handling WILL be improved upon.
This test is about OEM. You change tires on one car, then EVERY car gets to change them. Car makers make choices on OEM tires for a reason. You don't like them, your certainly can spend the money to change them ... but so can't someone who owns one of the others cars and then what do you gain ... a mod war?

Last edited by chows4us; 05-01-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: R56 R56 MCS in Road and Track Comparison Test