R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 FrontWheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
thestiguy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FrontWheel Drive

well guys i havent driven a front wheel drive in 5 years ive had my sti for 3 years now and this thing wont loose control even if u wanted too handles like its on rails would i expect the same thing or would i not be able to push it to the limit on the turns

Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
You can certainly push the MINI to its limits at your discretion [like you can in any vehicle for that matter], however its behavior will be quite different than your STI. Basically in my experience the STI makes a hero out of a sloppy driver [which makes it easy to drive quick], whereas the MINI [especially the R56] requires the driver to be as competent as the car.

I think in the end the MINI should satisfy. I'd suggest getting comparibly sticky tires to the STI before passing judgement on "out of the box" chassis capability. Also keep in mind the MINI's suspension is very tweakable with aftermarket. If you find you want more oversteer capability, a rear sway bar is a quick install away.

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM
thestiguy
1st Gear
there not really any aftermarket parts for the mini and being a german car it would cost a arm and a leg for anything

Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Adjustable rear suspension links, anti-roll bars, springs, dampers, coilovers, ARB drop-links all available right now for the R56. What do you mean nothing available?! Cost is also not a big deal unless you want coilovers. Springs are $200 a set, that's right in line with anything else.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:04 AM
ygblat
4th Gear
If it's rear-end rotation you're after, there are tons of thee-way adjustable rear sways out there for just over two bills a pop.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
Let's be honest guys... MCS will not out perform STi. They are totally different creatures. They are not even in the same SCCA autoX class.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Honestly, Subies can't hang with MINI's on roads like the Dragon. Hauling around 3400 pounds of softly suspended beast is a detriment in places like that. Places like autocross with their slippery parking lots, Subies with AWD and +50 wLb-Ft at their disposal it surely helps quicken their pace.

If we're talking about chassis balance however, both cars understeer from the factory. The MINI understeers less, and is less prone to brake fade. It also has quicker transitioning capability, however again, the all-wheel drive of the STI defintely helps in raw traction. They both have their strong points without a doubt.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
ygblat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
Let's be honest guys... MCS will not out perform STi. They are totally different creatures. They are not even in the same SCCA autoX class.
They are also in different price segments, lest you forget. An apples-to-apples comparison is not at stake. The MCS will never be able to put power down via its rear wheels so power oversteer is out of the question and controlling the line with the throttle becomes quite different in the two. However, the handling dynamics of the MCS are quite tweakable and the car can be made to handle neutrally or to rotate its rear if an owner so desires.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Sinthanius
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thestiguy
there not really any aftermarket parts for the mini and being a german car it would cost a arm and a leg for anything
With that kind of an attitude, it seems like you're pretty dead set on the STi.
Of course German parts are more expensive, they're not made out of recycled Chinese belts.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ygblat
They are also in different price segments, lest you forget. An apples-to-apples comparison is not at stake. The MCS will never be able to put power down via its rear wheels so power oversteer is out of the question and controlling the line with the throttle becomes quite different in the two. However, the handling dynamics of the MCS are quite tweakable and the car can be made to handle neutrally or to rotate its rear if an owner so desires.
Yes. STi is a lot of car for its price as well. I am saying we should not blindly persuade a STi driver to buy a MCS. MCS's strong points are the high gas mileage for its performance numbers and the lower price. If he is a power car lover who is not so crazy about torque steer, he is better off with the STi.
I just don't want people here to make the wrong choice for the guy. It has to be his decision after a thorough test drive.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:05 AM
eVal
6th Gear
The Mini is a very engaging fun car to drive, the best of the fwd cars I've tried - that said though, nothing changes the fact that the wheels steering the car are also the drive wheels and that brings with it certain characteristics so I suggest you get some test drives in to determine if it is what you want or not.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 AM
amazonracer
4th Gear
I have never had a front wheel drive car and I am not sure what everyone's talking about. If I buy the S or base for that matter, is the car harder to control. My teenagers will also be driving it time to time. I don't want to seem like I am on the edge of loosing control when driving because I will be driving a lot and use the car for work. Thanks

Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 PM
laughbuddha
2nd Gear
torque steer

Originally Posted by amazonracer
I have never had a front wheel drive car and I am not sure what everyone's talking about. If I buy the S or base for that matter, is the car harder to control. My teenagers will also be driving it time to time. I don't want to seem like I am on the edge of loosing control when driving because I will be driving a lot and use the car for work. Thanks
What everyone is talking about is torque steer, the tendency under HARD acceleration for a front wheel drive car to pull the steering wheel to one side. I would not worry too much about front wheel drive and the dangers of torque steer. The purists may disagree, but in many instances, front wheel drive is much safer - for instance in snow. The front wheel power source pulls you out of trouble, while a rear wheel drive may push you into trouble

If I were buying a car that my son(s) might drive, I would not get a high powered car. You know they are going to drive it HARD. Let them learn on the MC.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by amazonracer
My teenage driving experience with front wheel drive was my father's Citroen DS21. It was much safer and much less squirrely than my 1957 Alfa Romeo Spider, or 1966 Dode Van.

Torque steer is not really a big deal. If you are going WOT on a right turn out of a driveway, you just need to hold onto the steering wheel. That's it. I found the torque steer on the MCS I test drove to be less than on my Acura Integra.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:52 PM
jlevy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A bit of a comparison

I just traded a 2002 WRX for the 07 MCS. I have also driven a friends 05 STi, but not enough to say I'm really familair with all aspects of the car. My WRX was a COBB stage 2 (280-285 crank HP - exhaust and reflash) and had the usual handling mods (ALK, rack bushings, rear diff outrigger bushings, bigger front sway bar, 'H6' bigger rear brakes, smaller brake booster, stainless lines, Hawk HPS pads, ...).

Here's what I've noted so far:
1. Gas mileage is ~10 MPG better with my driving in the Mini. I was getting 20-21 in the WRX and a little over 31 in the MCS (according to the computer). I drove both about the same (I'm no little old lady from Pasadena).

2. I immediately felt the weight difference (possibly overhang difference as well). It's apparent in braking, turn-in, basically every aspect of the car feels like I'm not sliging around as much mass.

3. More torque steer in the Mini. This is a bit hard to compare since the MCS has a more reactive LSD than the viscous center and rear diffs on the WRX. The STi is of course better in that respect and you've got the adjustable front/rear split capability *** well. I could still get that "dead wheel" feeling in the WRX with lots of throttle around a tight corner, but really nothing in a straight line. Even though the Mini claims to hve equal length half shafts, the bottom line is they're not a symmetrical layout. I wouldn't say the Mini's torque steer makes the car unsafe - IMO, you learn quickly what the boundaries are and then pretty much have to provoke it for it to happen. Just have two hands on the wheel.

4. My opion is biased. I came from 10 years of little 2 seaters before the WRX. I got it for the kids and because the MCS wasn't available yet in early 02 when I was shopping for cars. The Mini reminds me of my old 91 MR-2 and I can still haul the family. My wife drives it and loves it. She hated the WRX (no doubt shifting before the turbo ever had a chance to do anything).

5. Straight line traction in the WRX on a good road was basically infinite. Even on a wet road on a cold day, it just nailed you in the seat and took off. I'm not talking about dumping the clutch or any other tranny-busting activities, just hit the gas in first gear from a low speed.

6. Am I worried about the cost of Mini mods compared to those on the WRX? No, not right now. If I can't get a reasonably priced aftermarket downpipe a year from now, you might hear me complain, but the Mini is here to stay.

-my 0.02