R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Visibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AustinS
Thanks. I phoned Multivex, got voice-mail, left a message, but they have not returned my call. It just makes me uneasy to order from a place that does not answer or return calls. Especially when they do not have a toll free number.
Well, you won't feel any better when they answer. I got a guy that told me he had no idea if the R56 and R57 used the same mirror and that they could custom make any mirror. They told me that that I should trace my mirror and FAX (no not scan, but FAX) it to them. I just measured mine and found that it matched the dimensions shown for the R56. I gambled, ordered it, and it fits fine. I get the impression that Multivex is a ma and pa outfit.

You can also order them from Minimania at http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

Happy Motoring!

Old 03-25-2010, 05:09 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the recommendation of gawannamini, I ordered the set. I ordered from Mini Mania and using the promo code "BESTMINI" got a 10% discount - $71.95. $77.50 including shipping. So...hopefully, no more blind right lane changes.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Good luck. I installed a rear view camera (see my gallery) following a great how-to post by lacning74. This eliminated the parking challange. Lacning74 also recommended the Multivex mirrors so I went with them and have (groan) "never looked back".... The distortion on the outer half will bother you for a few days but I don't even notice it now. I can now drive in Atlanta with 6 lanes across and have a great rear view of where the cars are. Happy Motoring. Hope you like them and they are satisfaction guaranteed.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
The outside edges of the Multivex mirrors are curved. If you look at the top edge of the mirrors you can see this. Also the outside edge of the mirror has some distortion while the edge nearest the car is flat with no distortion. It takes a few days to get used to the distortion but I don't even notice it now. What I do notice is NO blind spot. Mine are just slightly smaller. I'm guessing that this allows some margin of error in the install. If not perfectly centered the smaller size would keep the edge from hitting the housing when the mirror is repositioned. Good luck!!
I put the mirrors on Saturday, but haven't driven yet. I will be out today. When I backed into my garage, the distortion was extremely "weird." I read the instructions and they said not to stare at the mirrors, so I guess time will tell.

My problem is my OCD and that I like everything to be of instant gratification. It may be harder for me to adapt than you, but I will try. It will not be easy to remove them if I can't.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
It will not be easy to remove them if I can't.
Should be easy to remove by pulling dental floss between the mirrors to cut the foam tape. This is a common technique for double stick tape.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Rose's Mini
Neutral
Multivex mirror

I just got off the phone with one who claimed to be the President of Multivex.

He stated there was no tooling available for the 2010 Mini Cooper R57 or R56 mirror.

Can anyone help clear this up?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rose's Mini
I just got off the phone with one who claimed to be the President of Multivex.

He stated there was no tooling available for the 2010 Mini Cooper R57 or R56 mirror.

Can anyone help clear this up?
I don't think they (Multivex) know what they have. I called and got the same along with a request to trace my mirror and fax it in. I can assure you that they do in fact fit and you can also order them at http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

I ordered mine from Multivex and ordered the ones for the R55 (Clubman) which is the same mirror as is on the new generation R57 convertibles. The R55, R56 and R57 mirrors are the same.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
I put the mirrors on Saturday, but haven't driven yet. I will be out today. When I backed into my garage, the distortion was extremely "weird." I read the instructions and they said not to stare at the mirrors, so I guess time will tell.

My problem is my OCD and that I like everything to be of instant gratification. It may be harder for me to adapt than you, but I will try. It will not be easy to remove them if I can't.
The distortion absolutely drove me crazy for about 3 days - in fact I almost got dizzy looking at them at first. I can honestly say that I now don't notice it at all. Use the outer edges to kill the blind spot but focus on the half nearest the car body as there is no distortion in that area. Your side vision will pick up the outer edge. Sounds way too complicated when I write it but it was pretty natural after 2-3 days. I hope I haven't lead you astray Austin S! I believe they have a satisfaction guarantee. Let us know how well they work for you.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I believe they have a satisfaction guarantee.
They have a 30 day return policy. I started with Multivex on both sides and after a few weeks decided to stay only with the passenger side. I had no problem with returning the drivers side and being refunded.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
I hope I haven't lead you astray Austin S! I believe they have a satisfaction guarantee. Let us know how well they work for you.
I wouldn't blame you if I didn't like them. My problem is always patience, or lack thereof. Also I haven't driven on other than 2-lanes yet, so I haven't seen their true benefit.

I bought mine from Mini Mania and they do have a 10-day "satisfaction guarantee," but it is worthless since "Returned items must be in original packaging, unused, uninstalled, unmarked and re-salable, with all documentation and packaging intact..."

At this point though I think I could have done without the left mirror but again, time will tell.

Per the instructions, I did run a bead of silicone rubber at the top and side to retain the heat.

Don and Tina on The Dragon

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM
TRL
2nd Gear
Love my Multivex mirrors (both sides) on my R57 but will still be adding back-up sensors very soon to get over my fear of backing up. I have them on my family sedan and love them on it so can't wait to install on the MINI.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TRL
Love my Multivex mirrors (both sides) on my R57 but will still be adding back-up sensors very soon to get over my fear of backing up. I have them on my family sedan and love them on it so can't wait to install on the MINI.

Yeah, it is really creepy backing up in an R57 with or with the Multivex. I added a camera and it made a world of difference (pics in my galery). I imagine the back up sensors help alot too. It is kinda strange but I believe back up sensors were standard on the first gen MINI convertibles but are optional on the R57.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:51 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
Multivex for sale

It has only been a week and my wife said, "Take them off!!!" So I took them off - cleaned them up and put on new double-sided tape. They are as good as new but Mini Mania will not take them back since I installed them. I have all the shipping material and instructions.

And before you say anything…remember the old saying,
“When Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”

Mini Mania price - $79.95 + shipping
Multivex - $73.00 + shipping

Yours for $60.00 including shipping. If interested reply or PM or email me