R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Visibility

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Mdanner423
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visibility

I am new to the wonderful world of Minis, and have done some searching around the forum but haven't quite found the direct answer to this question I am hopeful to get.

Test driving a 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible earlier this week, I fell in love. I have never had so much fun driving!

Then.... I put the top up.... and got a little scared! Keep in mind this was my first time driving a convertible. The visibility difference from top down to top up is extreme. I had trouble changing lanes with confidence as I'm used to looking over my shoulder to check to see if the lane was clear.

I spent maybe 10 seconds adjusting my mirrors at the dealership before heading out, with the top down, so I know my mirrors weren't calibrated as good as possible when I put the top up and drove around a bit in the middle of my test drive.

My question is... To those of you that have been driving with the top up. How are the blind spots? If you spend the time to adjust your mirrors, can you always see a passing car? Like will it go from rearview mirror to side mirror, to window visibility seamlessly or are there still blind spots?

I hope to be top down as much as possible, and would get the cold weather package to help that along, but during rain especially, the top will have to be up some!

So what are your thoughts on visibility? Are there true blind spots even with your mirrors properly adjusted?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM
gailerickson
1st Gear
I drive an 06 convertible. I almost didn't buy it because of the visibility issue, but I've adjusted. You just have to know where the other cars on the road are, and be a bit more careful when changing lanes to the right. I'm still loving the drive, so I think it's worth it

Old 07-26-2009, 08:10 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mdanner423
I am new to the wonderful world of Minis, and have done some searching around the forum but haven't quite found the direct answer to this question I am hopeful to get.

Test driving a 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible earlier this week, I fell in love. I have never had so much fun driving!

Then.... I put the top up.... and got a little scared! Keep in mind this was my first time driving a convertible. The visibility difference from top down to top up is extreme. I had trouble changing lanes with confidence as I'm used to looking over my shoulder to check to see if the lane was clear.

I spent maybe 10 seconds adjusting my mirrors at the dealership before heading out, with the top down, so I know my mirrors weren't calibrated as good as possible when I put the top up and drove around a bit in the middle of my test drive.

My question is... To those of you that have been driving with the top up. How are the blind spots? If you spend the time to adjust your mirrors, can you always see a passing car? Like will it go from rearview mirror to side mirror, to window visibility seamlessly or are there still blind spots?

I hope to be top down as much as possible, and would get the cold weather package to help that along, but during rain especially, the top will have to be up some!

So what are your thoughts on visibility? Are there true blind spots even with your mirrors properly adjusted?
I picked up my '09 MCS Convertible on Jujne 3rd and I too had concerns about rear viz. I have had convertibles for about 30 yrs and all have blind spots with the top up if you look over your shoulder. The mirrors when properly adjusted provide good visability and you have to use them rather than looking over your shoulder.

I am also looking at Multivex mirrors that many in NAM have installed. They are about $75 for a MINI and go on over the original MINI side mirror glass. Check it out at https://secure57.softcomca.com/multi...net/index.html

I also added a rear view mirror - (see my gallery) that is great for parking but not very helpful for changing lanes as the cars are much farther back than they appear in the display.

Bottom line; I would not let the viz deter you from purchasing the most fun car that I have ever driven. I am still looking for excuses to drive the MINI. I don't even give the rear viz a second thought any more.

Happy Motoring!!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 AM
redZip
2nd Gear
I was having issues with the blind-spot as well for the first week - both while backing out and especially on the highway while changing lanes to the right.

For backing out, I just do it very slowly, turning my head several times to check (especially since often there are small children playing in the area). But it helps a lot that the Mini is such a small car and now I am pretty used to it.

The right lane on highways still bothers me a bit - looking over my shoulder and seeing nothing - especially because our other car is a Subaru Forester, which has substantial rear and sideways visibility. On top of that, drivers in this corner of the world don't believe in passing you on the left (even if that lane is empty) if they can pass you on the right. So if my wife is in the car, I often ask her to confirm that the lane is clear; if I am alone, I just try to be very aware of where all the car are on the right lane and if traffic permits, speed up a bit while changing lanes (easy on Mini).

Overall, I agree with the others - the fun you get from driving the Mini should outweigh the visibility issue. Besides, you should have the top down as much as possible anyway

Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Continual situational awareness is essential when on the freeway. Yakking on the cellphone, changing clothes or brushing your teeth just have to wait. The sideviews become the main source of information with the rearview mainly to let you know what is moving up on you. The backup alarm is a worry saving feature. The best part is just being able to motor topless even in the rain if you can maintain at least 50+ mph 'till you drive out of it.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 PM
janetmc
2nd Gear
I have an '08 and have been loving it for almost a year.
The most trouble i have is when backing out of parking spots when i have the top up. I prefer to back into parking spots it makes quick get-aways easier.
If you love the convertible Mini, you should get it!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
You're going to have blind spots with any convertible because the way the tops are configured...my wife has a 07 VW New Beetle Vert and has blind spots...left and right back side and of course...you can't see out of the little window...

It's a matter of getting used to your new vehicle and once you do that...you should not have any problem.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Totally agree, you do get used to the blind spots but they are bothersome. Try raising the seat a little. It helped me. I tend to punch the gas a little when just about ready to merge from the left. That way I can put cars on the right into side or rear view.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
I picked up my '09 MCS Convertible on Jujne 3rd and I too had concerns about rear viz. I have had convertibles for about 30 yrs and all have blind spots with the top up if you look over your shoulder. The mirrors when properly adjusted provide good visability and you have to use them rather than looking over your shoulder.

I am also looking at Multivex mirrors that many in NAM have installed. They are about $75 for a MINI and go on over the original MINI side mirror glass. Check it out at https://secure57.softcomca.com/multi...net/index.html

I also added a rear view mirror - (see my gallery) that is great for parking but not very helpful for changing lanes as the cars are much farther back than they appear in the display.

Bottom line; I would not let the viz deter you from purchasing the most fun car that I have ever driven. I am still looking for excuses to drive the MINI. I don't even give the rear viz a second thought any more.

Happy Motoring!!

I had a mistake in the above post. I have a back up camera (not rear view mirror). This is tremendously helpful for parking but not very useful for lane changes due to the fish eye lense making cars look much farther back than they are.

I can see the bumper of my MINI on the screen however and can get within an inch of the car behind me with confidence and I don't have to worry about kids or toys being behind me as the camera provides a clear view of this area.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Mdanner423
Neutral
Thanks for all the great responses! I'll definitely be getting a cooper convertible!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Wise choice. If you begin to have more fun than you are entitled to, just tough it out.

Choose your driving hat carefully. I'm into my third and its still not quite right.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:19 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mdanner423
Thanks for all the great responses! I'll definitely be getting a cooper convertible!

You will not regret it. Nothing drives like a convertible with the top down!!! It is a great mood improver. Bad day at work? drop the top and hit the twisties.

Get the seat heat if you can. It is BMW's great quick warm up version and you can drive with the top down in the 40's and be comfortable with a light jacket with the seat heat on. It really extends the season and it feels great on the back if you do a little too much yard work even in warm weather

Old 08-03-2009, 05:15 AM
NotPortlyNJ
2nd Gear
Right side visibility is easily resolved by:
1. Situational awareness, and
2. Different side view mirror settings for when the top is up vs. down. Get used to adjusting your mirrors slightly differently when the top is up. I've driven many convertibles over the years and all suffer from visibility issues like this.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
DieselNYC
1st Gear
Try these

There are tiny convex mirrors that glue onto the sideview mirrors and eliminate blind spots. They are small so you can still use the regular mirror. You should be able to find them at local auto parts stores for a couple of bucks.

Attached Thumbnails Visibility-ux_a09072700ux0145_ux_c.jpg  
Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
I mentioned in an earlier post that I was considering Multivex mirror overlays. I have them and they make a world of a difference. They attach to the existing mirror glass with 3M double face foam tape pads (supplied with mirrors) and can be removed without harming the original mirrors. I can still see a car in the mirror even after it is visible in my side vision - blind spot is gone. If you order the Multivex the R57 convertible uses the same mirror as the R56.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:01 PM
blekenbleu
Neutral
I mentioned in an earlier post that I was considering Multivex mirror overlays. I have them and they make a world of a difference.
We just received ours; left and right seem to be the same shape and size,
which seems slightly less than the stock glass.
Why would they be smaller? How does left Multivex differ from right?

Thanks for any information..

Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
The outside edges of the Multivex mirrors are curved. If you look at the top edge of the mirrors you can see this. Also the outside edge of the mirror has some distortion while the edge nearest the car is flat with no distortion. It takes a few days to get used to the distortion but I don't even notice it now. What I do notice is NO blind spot. Mine are just slightly smaller. I'm guessing that this allows some margin of error in the install. If not perfectly centered the smaller size would keep the edge from hitting the housing when the mirror is repositioned. Good luck!!

Old 03-21-2010, 05:47 AM
royr
Neutral
I mentioned in an earlier post that I was considering Multivex mirror overlays. I have them and they make a world of a difference. They attach to the existing mirror glass with 3M double face foam tape pads (supplied with mirrors) and can be removed without harming the original mirrors. I can still see a car in the mirror even after it is visible in my side vision - blind spot is gone. If you order the Multivex the R57 convertible uses the same mirror as the R56.
Does the Multivex right side mirror provide better distance judgement than the OME?

Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by royr
Does the Multivex right side mirror provide better distance judgement than the OME?
No, but distance judgement is a moot point if you can't even see what's there. The Multivex lets you see into the blind spot that is hidden when using the OEM.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:07 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
No, but distance judgement is a moot point if you can't even see what's there. The Multivex lets you see into the blind spot that is hidden when using the OEM.
Agreed. Distance in the Multivex is similar to the way the factory right side mirrors make cars look slightly farther away than they actually are (thus the "objects are closer than they appear" label on the factory right side mirrors).

The Multivex provide such a wide field of vison that the blind spots are gone but you still have to use care determining distance. It takes a week or so to fully appreciate the Mulitvex but I wouldn't do without them now. They make lane changes much easier.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
If you order the Multivex the R57 convertible uses the same mirror as the R56.
I guess you have both but I looked at the Multivex site and found the right mirror #24122EH for $38. The only convertible mention is that it DOES NOT fit the 07-08. I have an '09. Would this be the mirror to get?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AustinS
I guess you have both but I looked at the Multivex site and found the right mirror #24122EH for $38. The only convertible mention is that it DOES NOT fit the 07-08. I have an '09. Would this be the mirror to get?
Mine is an '09 convertible and I just got the same mirror as the Clubman. I'll look and see if I can find a receipt but the '09 convertible mirror is the same as the regular '09 MINI's. The second generation convertible did not come out until '09 so the 07-08 convertibles were still based on the first generation MINI's and the mirrors were different.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Thanks. I phoned Multivex, got voice-mail, left a message, but they have not returned my call. It just makes me uneasy to order from a place that does not answer or return calls. Especially when they do not have a toll free number.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinS
That sounds correct. The 07-08 convertible is a 1st gen R52 with different mirror.

If in doubt, choose the mirror for an 09 R56. All of the 2nd gen models (R55, R56, R57) use the same mirrors.

Quick Reply: R57 Visibility