R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Convertible in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM
spartan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible in Michigan

As you will see from my profile I am located in the wonderful state of Michigan. I am new to this mini madness and for weeks have been planning the purchase of an '10 MCS. Last night, while discussing this purchase with my wife she threw a new idea into the mix, "what about a convertible?" Never in my life have I owned a convertible, and really to this point ever considered it, but now that the seed has been planted.....

My question is, am I crazy for considering a convertible in a state with cold weather like Michigan? How does a convertible MCS hold up in the cold weather and snow? Any other considerations I should be making?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:20 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
You are not that far north of me and I had the same thoughts but after a few months I am happy with my decision and I think you would be too.

I wouldn't say this except on this forum but - after driving all the Mini models and all configurations - to me the convertible epitomizes the spirit of the Mini...open and fun.

You may not have the top down as much as in the lower states, but when you do, you will know it was worth getting. there is nothing like the feel of open motoring.

May I also suggest the "S" with manual trans. It is the most fun.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM
spartan
1st Gear
I love the sport stripes. Were they dealer installed? I cannot seem to find them on the on-line configuator.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
The stripes can be installed by the dealer or at the port of entry. Or if you want you can DIY.

In the configurator, you will find them in step 6, exterior styling.

BTW - Check out Jeremy's "Nothing quite like it" post. He is in Maryland where I think it gets cold too.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 AM
spartan
1st Gear
Can anyone in the Midwest comment?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Sorry, I forgot to mention (and show in my profile) I am from a little north of Cincinnati Ohio.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:00 PM
CincyMiniBoy
Neutral
AustinS, I'm so glad to hear a fellow Cincinnatian loving the idea of a convertible Mini. I just ordered a 2010 pepper white (w/ black top) MINI convertible S model w/ the black punched leather seats (to complete production 10/30 - week 43?) and have been second guessing myself ever since. Do it , Spartan! Face your fear! :-)

Last edited by CincyMiniBoy; 10-22-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: w/ manual transmission...
Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM
torobud
4th Gear
After my Owners Choice is up in a year (11/2010) I plan on replacing my R56 with a R57 in Chicago

Old 10-22-2009, 12:08 PM
OVREZY
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
This was Iowa last winter

The convertible prefers the sun, but can withstand a little snow.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Not4no1
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say go for it. I'm not as far north as you, but I still get the cold & snow. Whenever it is time to replace Butters, I am ordering the newest MINI Cabrio available.

Since we seem to be posting pictures of Cabrios in cold weather...

The top still works fine...but Butters does prefer the sun...even if it is cold outside.
The top doesn't go up unless it's below 40 or raining...Cold Weather Package-FTW!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:40 PM
spartan
1st Gear
I LOVE the pictures in the snow. Any with the top open?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinS
BTW - Check out Jeremy's "Nothing quite like it" post. He is in Maryland where I think it gets cold too.
It doesn't get TOO TOO cold. We will see about 20-30 days with temps in the 20's every year. But for the most part we stay between 30-40 during winter, and 80-95 (with 85%+ humidity) during summer.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Talking about "How cold can it get with the top down" I think our friend across the pond has taken his Gen 1 Convertible topless in -10c. For us in the US, that's 14F.

Now that's a little too cold for me even with heated seats on setting 3 and the Auto AC set to HOT MAX.

URL = http://www.theopenone.com/profile/gallery/image/432

Old 10-23-2009, 05:08 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CincyMiniBoy
AustinS, I'm so glad to hear a fellow Cincinnatian loving the idea of a convertible Mini. I just ordered a 2010 pepper white (w/ black top) MINI convertible S model w/ the black punched leather seats (to complete production 10/30 - week 43?) and have been second guessing myself ever since. Do it , Spartan! Face your fear! :-)
Which is it, manual or auto?

As for second guessing, I was in torments during the weeks between ordering and delivery. I kept calling Jay (my MA at Cincinnati Mini) every few days to ask questions and check where it was in the process. I know you can get delayed info on MiniUSA.com but I wanted up-to-date info.

A few of the things I had ordered were dealer installs, e.g. comfort access and alarm, and after:
  • reading about people laying their fob on the workbench and getting to work without it, and
  • the alarm only being effective below the seat cushion level
I decide to cancel those, especially considering their costs.

I ordered the carbon fiber scoop, also dealer installed, and almost cancelled that but I do like it, although the price is outrageous, since it goes well with the sport stripes. BTW - did you get the sport stripes? They would look great with pepper white. If not you always can get them later.

As for Cincinnati Mini, they keep surprising me by bending over backward to make me and my visits happy. I have never dealt with a dealership this nice. I keep waiting for the other foot to fall if you know what I mean.

I took mine in to have the right door rubber replaced and they replaced the left one too, just in case. At the same time they replaced my left rear seat back latch lock which never worked, did the computer upgrade and gave me a Clubman (non-S, auto) to drive for the day (which solidified my love for my S/manual/Cabrio).

I am still a little leery, since I come from many years of reliable Hondas, but so far it has been great...and we absolutely loved open motoring in the Mini. And, in case you were wondering, my sig picture is us on the Dragon.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 PM
CincyMiniBoy
Neutral
Originally Posted by AustinS
Which is it, manual or auto?

As for second guessing, I was in torments during the weeks between ordering and delivery. I kept calling Jay (my MA at Cincinnati Mini) every few days to ask questions and check where it was in the process. I know you can get delayed info on MiniUSA.com but I wanted up-to-date info.

A few of the things I had ordered were dealer installs, e.g. comfort access and alarm, and after:
  • reading about people laying their fob on the workbench and getting to work without it, and
  • the alarm only being effective below the seat cushion level
I decide to cancel those, especially considering their costs.

I ordered the carbon fiber scoop, also dealer installed, and almost cancelled that but I do like it, although the price is outrageous, since it goes well with the sport stripes. BTW - did you get the sport stripes? They would look great with pepper white. If not you always can get them later.

As for Cincinnati Mini, they keep surprising me by bending over backward to make me and my visits happy. I have never dealt with a dealership this nice. I keep waiting for the other foot to fall if you know what I mean.

I took mine in to have the right door rubber replaced and they replaced the left one too, just in case. At the same time they replaced my left rear seat back latch lock which never worked, did the computer upgrade and gave me a Clubman (non-S, auto) to drive for the day (which solidified my love for my S/manual/Cabrio).

I am still a little leery, since I come from many years of reliable Hondas, but so far it has been great...and we absolutely loved open motoring in the Mini. And, in case you were wondering, my sig picture is us on the Dragon.
AustinS - I went with the manual. I am too much of a control freak to do otherwise.

I decided to add stripes after-the-fact. Partly because I wanted to get the feel for the car's personality first, partly because I was in sticker price shock after upgrading to the R57, then to the sports model.

Very cool sig pic, indeed.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM
gonepostal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by spartan
As you will see from my profile I am located in the wonderful state of Michigan. I am new to this mini madness and for weeks have been planning the purchase of an '10 MCS. Last night, while discussing this purchase with my wife she threw a new idea into the mix, "what about a convertible?" Never in my life have I owned a convertible, and really to this point ever considered it, but now that the seed has been planted.....

My question is, am I crazy for considering a convertible in a state with cold weather like Michigan? How does a convertible MCS hold up in the cold weather and snow? Any other considerations I should be making?

Thanks in advance.
You only live once !!!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:45 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No you are not crazy. You have got to listen to the purr of the S engine with the top down on a winding road with a slight incline. The sound is intoxicating and just sounds so right. I love music but when the top is down I often have the radio off just to enjoy the purr that they got sooo right.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Scooter09
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Go for the Cabrio. I'm from Michigan myself, but am currently living in Seattle. Which, as many know, and the rumors are somewhat true, it does rain here. However, that doesn't stop many people here from getting a convertible, granted, 40 and rain is different from 20 and snow. My sister used to have an old '89 Cavalier, and that was fine in the winter, I can't imagine MINI making a car that was worse than one of those in the winter. Also, get a newer Cabrio, the roll bars in the back are lower and raise in an accident, it takes away the crazy blind spot a lot of old convertible owners complained about.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 AM
02ElectricBlueS
Neutral
I live in Michigan and own a British sportscar that's a convertible and you will find Spring and Summer top down driving most enjoyable...Summer driving is best early morning or late at night...Winter driving not so much fun with top down.

In college a friend had a Firebird convertible and we were pulled over by the Michigan State Police one February morning when it was 10 degrees outside and we had the top down...they thought we were drunk.

I am acutally thinking of selling my vintage sportscar next spring and replacing it with a used Mini convertible.

Also I recently bought my Mini and it has the panoramic sunroof...and that's great also with windows down and roof open, not quite a convertible but pretty nice.

Paul