R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Proud Papa of Brand New 09 Mini S Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 AM
GMini2009
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud Papa of Brand New 09 Mini S Convertible

Just wanted to jump right in and announce that I have finally purchased my very first Mini Cooper. After all those years of watching Mr. Bean and the announcement of the new Mini some years ago here in the U.S. I have wanted one ever since and the wife finally said I could get one.

It was originally going to be a Hardtop Chili Red S, but at the last minute I found a 2009 Horizon Blue S Convertible with Blue Top that I just couldn't stop staring at. It has a few features that I really didn't plan on getting (ie. Auto Wipers, Bluetooth, Ipod), but the more the merrier I suppose.

I live in Dayton, OH, but picked it up in Dublin, OH as it was one of only two somewhat local Mini Dealers. Couldn't resist the .09% finance rate, and the mini select program, plus the dealer worked out a few more incentives which helped to make up the difference between the hardtop and the convertible.

Anyhoot, I just wanted to run a couple things by all you Mini lovers to see if you knew the answers to my first couple of questions that have come up:

1) I ended up getting an Automatic (don't hate, wife did not want manual), and was wondering if anyone noticed when you are starting from a stand still in regular auto-drive mode, the gas pedal seems to move about 2 inches before it starts to accelerate the Mini. This seems to only happen when in Auto. When I switch the gear shift to the left, or use the paddles, first gear seems to hit right away when I hit the gas peddle. Anyone know if this is normal?

2) Own a Verizon Wireless Samsung Rogue phone, no problems pairing up using the Mini's bluetooth, but when I went to use the VZ Navigator on my cellphone it does not output any audio to the phone or the cars speakers. I have to turn off bluetooth and then the Navigator comes through the phone again. Anyway to fix this?

3) Also concerning Bluetooth - I noticed that the microphone is on the steering column in the convertible. I have a couple of friends who complain that they can barely hear me unless I sit right up on the steering wheel near the mic. This is when I am idle without car on too. Is there a fix to adjust the mic volume or angle it better for voice pickup?

Sorry such a long post and multiple questions, I probably should have separated these into the correct sub-forums, but figured I would throw it in with my first post. Thanks for reading!

Will try to post some pics of my new Mini soon.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM!

Congrats on your new MINI!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Congrats Dayton. I am a few miles south of you in Hamilton. I have a stick but had an auto loaner for a day. I think what you describe in #1 is just the way it is. Try it in Sport mode, I think it will be much different.

I can't help you on #2 & 3 though.

Enjoy yourself, I am. 7,000 miles so far.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:15 PM
GMini2009
Neutral
I tried the Automatic in drive and turned on Sport Mode, and indeed it did make it so I didn't have to push the pedal down an inch or two before it kicked in.

Any idea why that does that without Sport Mode on? Does this mean I should always have Sport Mode on for tighter shifting? I just don't like how it jumps into accelerating with it turned off.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GMini2009
...Any idea why that does that without Sport Mode on?
It's like that with the stick also. In sport mode, the revs build as soon as you touch the pedal, whereas not in sport mode there is a lot of free play in the pedal. Also I have noticed that in sport mode the engine revs up more freely and returns to idle more quickly. In regular mode it revs up and down much more slowly...kind like it has a far heavier flywheel.

Some folks put their Mini in sport mode as soon as they start up. I only use it for spirited driving although this cause me to chirp the tires on takeoff when I am in sport mode because I am not used to it.

Some company (you can find it in the coupe forum) makes a module that will let you keep the car in sport mode if you want so you don't have to push the button.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:49 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A module that will give you a choice on having your MINI initally Start in Sport Mode or in Normal Mode is available here.

Wish that MINI would design the system to have this selection coded into your key/fobs.

To defend MINI's 'default' of always requiring the Sport Button Press for Sport Mode, I prefer the car in non-Sport and will only use it once in twenty drives.

Ideal would be to have it start in the mode you prefer and if it were coded in key/fobs, then different drivers could have different settings (like all other 'programable' Preference Settings).

Old 11-18-2009, 06:53 AM
GMini2009
Neutral
Okay thanks folks, I think I found some information about the sport mode, so that answers that question.

Anyone have any ideas on the phone, bluetooth and/or mic placement question?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never used sports mode. After 4500 miles I havn't felt the need. I have plenty of get up and go without it.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
jallen4
2nd Gear
Congratualations on your new Mini. Is that car parked near Babbitt street during the day?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 AM
GMini2009
Neutral
Not sure where Babbitt street is, so most likely no.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Part of it could also be the hill descent control. I do notice more responsiveness when in sport mode as well. For blue tooth audio I think you need the 6nf configuration, which is the phone adapter in the arm rest. I think the simplest solution is to run a male to male cord from the phone to your aux in. Not the most elegant, but it works if all you want to hear is the navigator.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
I have never used sports mode...
Never? You should at least try it once.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty late posting but:

The sport button makes the accelerator much more responsive (both manual and auto) and I am so spoiled that if I forget to push the sport button it feels like a different car. Some think the sport setting makes the throttle too touchy but I prefer it. When the sport mode is selected with the automatic it also raises the transmission RPM shift points for better acceleration.

Poor sound quality on the Blue Tooth microphone on top of the steering column is unfortunately the norm. I wind up hunched over the steering wheel screaming into the mike. People with hatchbacks with the mike in the overhead switch console have reported improvement by moving the mike to the left side (it's British so it ships on the right side) - but our convertibles have no such luck. It is also a little tricky adjusting the listening volume as you can only adjust this when the other person is actually talking.