R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 FES Looking for some R57 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FES Looking for some R57 help

Hi R57 owners! FES is looking to finish two products and we're looking for a little help.

1) InvisiLens for R57 Cabrios. Richard Woo has got the tachometer all done, and is well on the way for finishing the central speedo, but needs some dimensions for the Openometer!
  • The lucky helper will get a tach and openometer InvisiLens for helping out.
  • The lucky helper will have to take apart the gauge cluster to help get dimensions for the Openometer InvisiLens.
  • The lucky helper will have to take some photos for the installation documentation.
2) Top Commander for R57. The Top Commander for R52 is finished and has had great reception. We think we have all the timing for a module for the R57, but don't have one of these cars to finish testing and installation.
  • The lucky helper will get a Top Commander for R57 for helping out.
  • The lucky helper will have to test the Top Commander and give feedback. If the timing and logic aren't right, we'll send out a unit to test again.
  • The lucky helper will have to take some good photos for use in the installation documentation.
  • The lucky helper will get an acknowledgment in the installation manual for helping out.
I'm in the SF bay area, being close by would be nice but isn't required. If you're serious about helping out on one or both of these, please e-mail me at mattr@fes-auto.com. first come, first served. Please think hard about your willingness to help out. If you don't want to do all the stuff, it just makes the product release take longer and wastes all our time.

Thanks for looking!

Matt

Old 12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Hi R57 owners! FES is looking to finish two products and we're looking for a little help.

1) InvisiLens for R57 Cabrios. Richard Woo has got the tachometer all done, and is well on the way for finishing the central speedo, but needs some dimensions for the Openometer!
  • The lucky helper will get a tach and openometer InvisiLens for helping out.
  • The lucky helper will have to take apart the gauge cluster to help get dimensions for the Openometer InvisiLens.
  • The lucky helper will have to take some photos for the installation documentation.
2) Top Commander for R57. The Top Commander for R52 is finished and has had great reception. We think we have all the timing for a module for the R57, but don't have one of these cars to finish testing and installation.
  • The lucky helper will get a Top Commander for R57 for helping out.
  • The lucky helper will have to test the Top Commander and give feedback. If the timing and logic aren't right, we'll send out a unit to test again.
  • The lucky helper will have to take some good photos for use in the installation documentation.
  • The lucky helper will get an acknowledgment in the installation manual for helping out.
I'm in the SF bay area, being close by would be nice but isn't required. If you're serious about helping out on one or both of these, please e-mail me at mattr@fes-auto.com. first come, first served. Please think hard about your willingness to help out. If you don't want to do all the stuff, it just makes the product release take longer and wastes all our time.

Thanks for looking!

Matt
Let's chat. I'm in the SF Bay Area (East Bay that is). I've been waiting for a double-tap to lower and raise the top on my R57

Old 12-03-2009, 01:33 PM
DrSelina
2nd Gear
Hey Zanary.. If you help with this, can you make sure to suggest the instructions are more step-by-painstaking-step. I will buy one of these only if it is easy for me to install it myself. I just looked at the instructions for the R52 and I was lost after removing the light box....

Old 12-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
One of the things well be doing...

is adding more photos to the R52 guide. The guy who helped develope it went to ground after he had his working well. I've found someone local to me to help out with improving the instructions.

Anyway, if you take the light box out, you pop out the switches next. Then you disconnect the wiring harnesses from the switches, plug in the top commander, add the wiring harness back on, tap into a power line, and put it all back together.

The shortest install time reported so far has been less than 15 min.

Matt

Old 12-04-2009, 04:55 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
I will be eagerly awaiting the news of this new module. I really dislike holding the switch the entire time it takes to operate the top.

One other thing I wish was possible was more range with the remote. When I bought my R57, I was really looking forward to opening the top as I approached - say in a parking lot - and having it open when I got to the car. Unfortunately my remote only works within about 30-35 feet and then only when approaching the front of the car. From the rear the range is less. I am lucky to get the sunroof section open before I am at the door.

My Honda has a range of over 100 feet.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
There is a thread...

about extending the remote range. You open it up, solder a longer wire to the antenna module, then close it up again. Reports of improvement are pretty universal.

Matt

Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
about extending the remote range. You open it up, solder a longer wire to the antenna module, then close it up again. Reports of improvement are pretty universal.

Matt
I'll mail you my back up FOB. If you increase the range I'd then send you my primary fob

Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I haven't done it yet...

but was going to on my 02. I haven't seen the later fobs opened up yet. when I do I'll be willing to give it a try... But for now, hold off on that one.

Matt

Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Heh, heh, heh...the 2009 fob has a solid chrome ring around it. Maybe, just maybe, it could be snapped off from the rear and that is how you could get it open. But I don't know if I would want to be soldering in there...

Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I've just learned about surface mount soldering...

and what I've learned is that my eyes are going bad!

Matt

Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 AM
masloki
Neutral
I am pretty new here, but would be glad to volunteer on the Top Commander. I can offer something no one in SF can - all your photos of top down motoring will include snow!

For the Openometer, can you give me an overview of effort and steps in taking apart my cluster? I could probably assist on that one too.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FOB Chrome Ring is flexible

Originally Posted by AustinS
Heh, heh, heh...the 2009 fob has a solid chrome ring around it. Maybe, just maybe, it could be snapped off from the rear and that is how you could get it open. But I don't know if I would want to be soldering in there...
I was able to flex the ring off the FOB. Which is nice because mine is pretty beat up. I'd like to get inside and do the antenna hack, but haven't had time to try opening the fob itself.

Anyone else feeling lucky?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Hi all, we've got all the info we need to start the beta program

so if you're one of the people who wants to be part of this, either respond to the PM I sent you via the method indicated in the PM, or e-mail me at mattr@fes-auto.com so we can get this rolling.

Matt