R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Got my mini convertible...now how do I back up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 PM
chinarider
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my mini convertible...now how do I back up?

Just wondering what tips or tricks other mini convertible owners use when attempting to back these vehicles up. I've only been driving mine for about a week or so, and of course there's a natural learning curve that I'm still working through.

I don't have sensors on my rear bumper, and I've always been very much of a "twist all the way around and look" backer-uper (if that's even an acceptable term).

Im curious if anyone has installed rear-view video cameras as a solution?

Any tips, advice, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-26-2009, 10:28 PM
proppjones
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
backing up

I don't have a convertible but I give my self a lot of space - take your time I use my mirror as best I can and twist abit. You do have a bit of a blind-spot though- I stay away from SUVs they think they can fit in parking spots minis can't. good luck and enjoy your mini

Old 12-27-2009, 06:53 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Why not just put the top down while you're backing up?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veggivet
Why not just put the top down while you're backing up?
Because the folded top is so high that you can barely see over it - visibility is better with it up, despite the letterbox-sized rear window.

However for really critical close-range backing-up there is a similar trick - start lowering the roof but immediately stop. The first bit of roof movement makes the rear window sag forwards and gives you a dramatically better view down/backwards.

Of course if there's snow on the roof, this does look really silly.... I'm glad that in Britain all converts get PDC.

Andrew

Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
You just have to be ultra-careful. It took a while for my wife to get used to her convertible but after some time you figure out what's most comfortable for you.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:33 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
It is so limiting with the top up, I'm surprised it is better than with the top down! I sat in one at the dealership for about 10 seconds and couldn't believe how bad the view out the back was (top was up). They probably should all come with PDC on this side of the pond too.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
In my MC I have the Side Mirrors adjusted so that I can only see a smidgen of the side of the car...and if I need to I'll adjust the mirrors down just a touch to be able to see the Parking Strip Lines...Hope this helps!!
We've had a couple of Convertible Loaners, it was a big adjustment getting used to no visibility.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
The simplest answer is to never back up. Always go forward. Always park so as to pull out.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 AM
ahinerfeld
Neutral
Backing up

I have started backing in to all parking spaces so that I do not have to back out into traffic. I would rather back into a controlled parking spot than backing into moving traffic.

I do wish the Mini had an auto down mirror while backing it would make it much easier to back into a spot.

Good Luck and be safe.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ahinerfeld
I have started backing in to all parking spaces so that I do not have to back out into traffic. I would rather back into a controlled parking spot than backing into moving traffic.

I do wish the Mini had an auto down mirror while backing it would make it much easier to back into a spot.

Good Luck and be safe.
You can add this as an aftermarket item. KP technologies has them available.
http://www.kptechnologies.com/

Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
You could also add a rear view camera if you wanted....they're not too hard to install.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
I feel/felt your pain. I almost did not buy my '09 convertible because of the horrible blind spot and limited rear visability with the top up or down. Lacning 74 has a fantastic post and did all the hard work in testing several cameras etc. Check out his detailed info including installation steps and pictures and links to order the camera and display at https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...up-camera.html

I spent about $170 on camera and display and installed it just as he posted. Check out my gallery (see upper right) for pics showing the camera and display. The camera is great for backing up and parking but it is not useful for lane changes as it has a very wide angle lens and a car that is 4' behind you looks like it is a car length back. It is however perfect for parking and making sure all is clear behind you before backing. Lacning 74 has a video on the link that lets you see it in action. Totally cool.

If you do go this route the display has two camera/video inputs. Hook the camera to one and the display turns on when the car powers up. Hook it to the other and you have to turn it on with the small power button every time. I set mine to come on automatically when the car starts. The camera instructions kind of forget to mention this "minor" detail

I also highly recommend Multivex side view mirror glass overlays. They attach over the existing side mirrors in about 30 minutes (no tools required) and completely eliminate blind spots. The outside edges are a little distorted but you can still see a car in the side mirror even after you pick it up in your peripheral vision as the car comes up in the lane beside you. I now have total confidence during lane changes. These mirrors are available several places including http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm and www.multivex.com (The R57 convertible mirrors are the same as Clubmans and R56 hatchbacks)

Good luck. For less than $300 the visibility problem is GONE. Happy Motoring!!