R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 MINI Vert as a daily driver.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 PM
jaxmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Vert as a daily driver.

Hi MINI people! I orignally owned an 04 hardtop Cooper which I loved. I sold the car a few years ago when my commuting situation changed. My job at the time included a 41 mile trip (one way) with much of it on I-95 and stop and go traffic. The Cooper wore on me a little bit and decided to go with a slightly more comfortable car. I went to an 06 VW GTI with an auto (DSG) tranny. The VW is a great commuter. However, I find myself with a new job that I can take the train to, it's only 3 miles to the train station. I find myself looking at MINIs again and with the special financing on the 09 convertible MINIs I just may buy one. My question is this, do you find the convertible version to be a good daily driver? I know it is fun (and I like fun) but is it practical enough to have as an only car? No kids or family so room isn't a big issue. What do the MINI folks have to say?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use it as a daily driver. I also have no kids or family to haul around. I find myself having a blast on my 4 mile (round-trip) commute. I moved my girlfriend back into school (172mi each way) with a car full of crap, it was pretty amazing all the stuff I was able to fit in the boot and back seat. I love my 2009 MINI Cooper S Convertible, and I'm especially happy to have it as my daily driver.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:22 PM
jaxmini
3rd Gear
Thanks Jeremy, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Is the top extremely noisy when it rains? Is the car in general noisy at highway speed?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxmini
Thanks Jeremy, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Is the top extremely noisy when it rains? Is the car in general noisy at highway speed?
The car has an extra bit of noise, but not enough to worry about. Me and my girlfriend are able to have a conversation at highway speeds while only raising our voices a little bit. But, when she isn't with me I just turn the radio up a little more and its all good. Can't comment on the rain thing though, as I drive with my top down all the time, yes, even in the rain.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use my '09 MCS Convertible as my daily driver and it is great. I sold a 3 series BMW convertible when I ordered the MINI and the noise level of the MINI Convertible is about the same as the BMW. When I have driven MINI hatchbacks I really don't notice them being much quieter than my convertible.

I am amazed that at highway speeds the MINI convertible is still reasonably quiet. My wife and I took a 500 mile trip into the mountains of Western NC last fall and at the end of the trip she said, "You know the MINI is really as comfortable on a trip as my car (2006 BMW 530)."

I would not consider giving up the fun of top down motoring. These second generation MINI convertibles are very "civilized" and easy to live with. I got rid of the run flat tires and went with non runflat Michelin Pilot Sport A/S PLUS tires that are smooth and quiet and yet handle very well.

With heated seats and the optional wind deflector I am comfortable in shirt sleeves in 50 degree weather. The heated seats are the best $500 I spent and I live in Atlanta.

I have had the car since June and I still grin every time I drive it. Good luck with your decision!!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Mine is a daily driver as well. Wife and my twins take it every day, and even on the weekends now. Round trip to work and back is 50 miles, and have also taken two vacations in it (San Fran to Vegas, and San Fran to LA).

I wouldn't trade it for anything. The most fun I've had in freeway driving, and stop and go driving...

Picked up my Mini on April 16th 2009, and 9 months later and almost 16,000 miles it's one awesome ride... of the 16000 miles, I've logged over 270 hours of topless driving. Not as much as our friend Davel137 who's logged over 630 topless hours in a shorter period of time. Check out = http://www.theopenone.com/rankings/overall/1/1000 for a list of Mini Convertible owners who really enjoy having a Convertible as their daily driver...

Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
I think you'd find the practicality to be not too different from the experience you had with your Cooper hardtop. You'll lose some hauling ability compared to the hardtop. The tailgate opening is smaller than the rear hatch, and the rear seats down don't provide a open contiguous space because of the roll bars. Other than cargo capacity, if you think you'd do okay with a MINI hardtop again, you should be fine with a cabrio (just some adjustment necessary with the rear visibility).

We have an R52 (1st gen cabrio), and it is our daily driver and only car. And in fact it is for a family with one child and very large greyhound. However, we happened to get our MINI when we were between dogs, and honestly we wouldn't have gotten it if we already had our current dog. He is so large that he fills up the entire back seat, so we couldn't take the entire family somewhere including the dog. Without the dog, we've had no problem packing it up for the 3 of us to go on long trips or camping.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:15 AM
jaxmini
3rd Gear
I knew I could count on the MINI community. I've missed all of this positive energy regarding our cars. Thanks to everyone. I've got a decision to make. I will keep you posted, going down to the dealer today to see what they have. Again, thank you!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with others... The MINI Cooper S Convertible makes the commute fun, whether fast or stop and go traffic. I also live in Northern Virginia. My commute is 50 minutes to 1:30 each way at times driving Hwy 50, IH66 and 495.

Mine's an automatic, but I like that because I can use my right hand to change stations or play Slacker radio on my iphone. About that, If you decide to get the comfort blue tooth option in the armrest you'll have to see what you want to do about the smartphone option.

At first, I was kicking myself for not getting the smartphone ($100) option included. So even If I had the adapter for the arm rest, I would still not be able to control the ipod functions with my SatNav. Now, however, I think I like the fact that it's not included. Some have reported that with Smartphone option and a phone docked, you can't use the USB option for music. Any way, it's research worth doing before picking out the options you want.

Heated seats are a must have!! Get those with any convertible.
I have punch leather seats. If you like stiff, they work but aren't so stiff like recarros or those other aftermarkets. Lounge leather might have been a better more comfortable choice.

The Black Bullet wheels are very nice. In the future, I might also switch to the non-runflat tires to improve the ride. The streets around DC are full of potholes and I have literally felt like my car broke in two peices on a couple of them.

Oh yeah, and the noise isn't so bad. I can carry a conversation with my wife without having to speak to loudly with the top up or with the top down and windows up.

Stereo options are various. I have the plain setup but am planning on upgrading to a much better set of speakers later on.
Good luck on your MINI journey!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:47 PM
gailerickson
1st Gear
4 years and over 70,000 miles Still a blast and no regrets!!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 AM
redZip
2nd Gear
Another MCSC daily commuter (albeit a short one, ~15mi each way) through both highway and city driving and I echo what everyone else has said here - its an incredibly fun car no matter for what purpose.

And I prefer topless driving - which admittedly, is an easier task in San Diego. But I did drive through some pretty heavy rains last week on the way to Joshua Tree - was fun to watch the expressions on people's faces.

A back-seat wind deflector makes a huge difference on the highway on if you can hear your co-passenger talk or not. As such, the highway noise does not bother me at all. In fact, I think I am much more aware of the road and fellow drivers on an open-top than I am in a regular car/truck.

I have carried a 22'' charcoal grill and a whole bed in my Mini (ok, I cheated - they were both in a box and the bed was the Novaform ones that come vacuum folded), full monthly groceries with the dog and wife are a cinch too. Trick is to keep the top open and increase vertical space .

Sadly, most of the stores are near my house and work isn't too far away either, which means I can never rack up the open-top hours some of the others on this board do.

Also as mentioned, a heated seat is very helpful on the cooler mornings.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
danzbassman
1st Gear
I gotmy 2005 cabrio last year. Its my only car. My workday commute is about 45 minutes each way. I have no regrets. On the contrary, every time I walk out to the garage at the end of the workday climbing in the mini always makes me smile. With the top down its even better. Helps melt away the work day.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
jaxmini
3rd Gear
What great feedback! Thank you all very much. I'm still torn as to which car to go with next. I took the MINI vert out over the weekend and was very impressed. I was also impressed with the "Camden" edition hardtop the dealer had on the floor. I'm looking at three fairly different cars. 1. MINI 2. Volvo C30 and 3. New GTI The Volvo certainly does't handle nearly as well as the MINI (what does?) but it is kinda rare, offers 5 years of free service and has a great "pick it up in Sweden" option. GTI has great handing and features for the money though not nearl as exclusive. As you all know the MINI has more personality than both of these cars put together and an incredible group of people who drive them. I'm really stuck...

Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Get the MINI!! Get the MINI!! You won't have as much fun in the other cars!!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zanary
Mine is a daily driver as well. Wife and my twins take it every day, and even on the weekends now. Round trip to work and back is 50 miles, and have also taken two vacations in it (San Fran to Vegas, and San Fran to LA).

I wouldn't trade it for anything. The most fun I've had in freeway driving, and stop and go driving...

Picked up my Mini on April 16th 2009, and 9 months later and almost 16,000 miles it's one awesome ride... of the 16000 miles, I've logged over 270 hours of topless driving. Not as much as our friend Davel137 who's logged over 630 topless hours in a shorter period of time. Check out = http://www.theopenone.com/rankings/overall/1/1000 for a list of Mini Convertible owners who really enjoy having a Convertible as their daily driver...
When I get my Cabrio, I will have to join the list!

I drive 1.25 hours each way 4 days a week. IF it stays sunny, it will add up fast!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Randyg
1st Gear
Similar Story

I owned a 2002 S Hardtop. I sold it when my commute grew. I purchased a 2007 GTI. It was a comfortable cruiser but void of much personality. My drive changed and recently got a 2009 S Convertible. What a difference! Not just between it and the GTI, but also the 2002. The suspension (even with S pkg) is much more comfortable than before and the air conditioning will freeze you out - 2 major complaints I had about my previous Mini.

My drive now is just 10 miles each way but I'm delighted. The car is a great daily driver. My only complaint - the awful Hi-Fi Stereo. Those speakers will go!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Randyg
I owned a 2002 S Hardtop. I sold it when my commute grew. I purchased a 2007 GTI. It was a comfortable cruiser but void of much personality. My drive changed and recently got a 2009 S Convertible. What a difference! Not just between it and the GTI, but also the 2002. The suspension (even with S pkg) is much more comfortable than before and the air conditioning will freeze you out - 2 major complaints I had about my previous Mini.

My drive now is just 10 miles each way but I'm delighted. The car is a great daily driver. My only complaint - the awful Hi-Fi Stereo. Those speakers will go!
Thanks for the info. I was starting to get set on Hot chocolate with Lounge Leather for the S convertible. I just saw it is not available for the S, only the non-S. Bummer! It looked nice at the dealership on the non-S.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 PM
uRabbit
4th Gear
I will be getting a vert as my DD. I'm not one to care about the downsides of it, though. I know it won't leak. I don't care if it's louder. All I care about is it being fast and fun.

That's the way ya gotta look at it.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by uRabbit
I will be getting a vert as my DD. I'm not one to care about the downsides of it, though. I know it won't leak. I don't care if it's louder. All I care about is it being fast and fun.

That's the way ya gotta look at it.
It looks like I will get one, but used. It will be my daily driver for
most of the year. I will keep my BMW X3 for the winter duties!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
I love my daily commute!

I've been the happy owner of a 2009 MCS convertible (Sarah Jane) for about 3 months now and I find myself looking forward to my 45 mile (each way) drive every day. I drop the top as soon as I get the engine started and let the enjoyment begin! It took a bit to get used to some of the more unusual noises I encounter in traffic and it is a bit disconcerting when I'm next to an 18 wheeler looking up at the top of his tires but I'm slowly getting used to it. The ride can be rough sometimes and I'll get bounced around a bit, but you just can't beat the handling of this little girl! I really look forward to Friday's when I take one of the longer and twistier routes and I push the button for Sport Mode and put Sarah Jane's abilities (and mine) to the test. I would echo the earlier post about getting the heated seats, I've been driving topless at 32 degrees (according to the dashboard display) and the back was quite toasty but I will admit that the fingers were pretty darn cold.

Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2010, 06:44 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mat J Monk
...the fingers were pretty darn cold.
That's why I keep a pair of gloves in the car.

BTW Mat, sharp car

Old 07-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Silver57
1st Gear
I use mine for a daily roundtrip of about 60 miles, some highway, some country roads and some bumper to bumper. I look forward to driving it every day!
No, it's not your typical quiet, isolated ride kind of car, but you'll have a smile on your face from the mini fun factor!

Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
I ended up getting a Z4 instead of the MINI. $4k more for the Z4 but I love it!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When you get the chance, I'd be curious to know your average commuter gas mileage. Also, does the Z4 have run flats?

Enjoy it.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
I actually get great mpg on the Z4. About 26 combined. I hit 32 on the highway at 80 mph, which is great!

It does have runflats, which is my first time having them. I will see how it goes.

I do love the 18" wheels, sport suspension and 255 hp!

Quick Reply: R57 MINI Vert as a daily driver.