R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Convertible Top Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 AM
mtubesing
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible Top Maintenance

OK, spring has sprung here in the ATL and it is the most beautiful time in the year to be motoring top down. However, I'm reading more and more posts from folks with build dates close to mine and wondering if it's just a matter of time before the plastic in my top decides to snap...

So - in the spirit of preventative care, can someone with MINI-tech/convertible experience give some guidance on a few things? I am more than happy to help out in any way. We could then move this thread over to the DIY forum.

Three areas of potential interest:

1) Squeaky top open/close. This is a minor annoyance that has been mentioned before. Would love to be able to provide pictures and instructions on where and what to lube, what type of lube to use, etc.

2) Plastic reinforcement. If it's a simple piece of plastic that is snapping and causing the top/gapping issue, can't this piece be reinforced with something *before* it wears to that point? Any suggestions here? Don't need a nuclear flyswatter, just something to prevent the issue.

3) Annual canvas top maintenance. Sealants, cleaners, best practices? Something more substantial than the "I just use my lint roller on it..." reply.

Thanks in advance!
- Mark

Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Can only address item 3 with this product that might help. Good luck

Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mtubesing - In our area (Atlanta) I have a lot of trust in Charles who owns Marietta Auto Trim. He even does some work for Global and has been working on tops and interiors since Moby **** was a minnow. He is well respected in the area and is very helpful. Charles has a treatment that he can put on the top or he will sell you the product and show you how. He recommends that it be applied after the first year and then annually. I have not had to do mine yet as my top was replaced a few months ago due to the plastic clip breaking.

Most of the "squealing" that my top makes is from hydraulic noise from the hydraulic oil rushing through small lines and the small cylinders. Common hydraulic system noises. My noise would not be helped by lube.

If the top was out of warranty someone like Charles could sew in a more sturdy attachment (accessible from trunk) fairly inexpensively. I was told by Global that there was no BMW approved repair - they must replace the whole top. They did a good job although it sure seemed like overkill for a simple clip attachment.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really appreciate the info. Thank you