R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Possible Build w/ Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:33 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible Build w/ Questions

I'm and trying to figure out a build and would like input on my choices. I like spirited driving, and I'm moving from a 1st generation Miata that I've done a lot of handling mods. I never autocross and rarely track, which with a MINI Convertible would be difficult anyway. I've searched a lot of threads, and I still have questions. I probably won't be buying until the end of summer.

2010 MINI Cooper S Convertible

Base MSRP* $27,150
Destination & Handling $700

PAINT
Dark Silver Body Color $500 (I'd go with light silver or dark blue equally as easily)
Black Top STD
(Living in San Francisco, which has a lot of fog, I think I'll add the rear fog light)

PACKAGE
No selections in this category
(I'm considering the Sport Package - Only for the DTC and 17" wheels-I'm not clear if the DTC is worth it though?)

PERFORMANCE
6-Speed Getrag Manual STD
16" S-Winders (Perf. Run Flats) STD
(The 16" are significantly lighter, so this is attractive)
Dynamic Traction Control $250
Sport Suspension $500 (SF streets suck. I just drove a standard suspension and it seemed fine, but not getting Sport Suspension, seems antithetical to me. Interestedly, SFMINI had NO sport suspensions available to drive, even in the coupes)
Dynamic Stability Control STD
Front Fog Lamps STD

COCKPIT
Leatherette: Black/Grey STD (Totally torn on getting the Leather but if the leatherette is indistinguishable....., I'll save the $1,500?)
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction STD
Interior Surface English Oak $250
Interior Color: Carbon Black STD
Sport Seats STD
On-Board Computer STD
6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD (I gather getting the HiFi isn't worth it but Harmon Kardon is?)

TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $29,350
Blank Line
JCWACCESSORIES**
JCW Strut Brace (installation not incl.) $269 Better to get an aftermarket?)

ACCESSORIES**
Invisishield: Bonnet Kit (installation not incl.) $142
Invisishield: Bumper Kit (installation not incl.) $135
Black Carpet Floor Mats (4) (installation not incl.) $105

TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $651

I understand that some feel that an aftermarket sport suspension may be considered a better buy, but the SO already question why I would modify a brand new car - I understand, but that might not be a fight I want to start -getting a new car is victory enough.

Thanks in Advance for your input, and I appreciate you're helping a newbie.

Larry

Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
I bought used. Would have never paid extra for the Harmon Kardon audio but now that I have it I love it. I am hearing impaired and so most stereos usually sound pretty bad to me (when I get it loud enough to hear, it is distorted). The HK is the first stereo I have had that I really love.

Cant halp with much else but congratulations!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfette26
I bought used. Would have never paid extra for the Harmon Kardon audio but now that I have it I love it. I am hearing impaired and so most stereos usually sound pretty bad to me (when I get it loud enough to hear, it is distorted). The HK is the first stereo I have had that I really love.

Cant halp with much else but congratulations!
First gen HK and 2nd gen HK are two different systems. To many, the 2nd gen HK is still inferior to the 1st gen HK. I have the HiFi myself, and find it adequate for top down driving.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good, here's my thoughts:

-Skip the Sport Suspension, go aftermarket. Just get a set of TSW springs and you'll be lowered very little and will be safe on stock shocks.
-Leatherette will wear WAY better than the leather. MINI leather is really thin.
-Strut bar is worthless, no benefit except the bling.
-Dealer changes for the clear bra will be very high for the install, better to go 3rd party and get some 3M clear bra installed.
-Dealer should throw in the floor mats for free.

-If you like music at all, get the HK sound system. It's amazing and stock sucks. Very good value. Maybe consider bluetooth as well if you use your phone, quite pricey to add later.
-Heated seats are nice, especially with leather/leatherette and ESPECIALLY with the top down!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Thanks for Thoughts - Keep them Coming

Velour (I hope I'm not being too familiar). What do TSW springs cost and what do you mean I'll be "safe" on the stock shocks?

I'm amazed in my research that a lot of people like the Leatherette. I'll have to go back and look at it.

I gather there are three stereos -Stock ($0) HiDef ($500) and Harmon Kardon ($750). Once I spend $500, I'll go to $750. Or maybe I misunderstood what HiDef is, since I just figured out you can get both HiDef and H-K

Good idea to go aftermarket on the clear bra.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:14 AM
christo4ferris
2nd Gear
Heated seats are a must, in my book. I'll never buy another car without them. Then again, I live in New England.

I didn't bother with upgrading the stereo. Unless you're driving in a Lexus, with all its sound dampening, paying extra for higher quality sound just seems silly to me. I'm sure that there are some who will argue this point.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:51 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
LarriB,

Below is a repost of something I put up on my club's site about a month ago after I had a loaner 2010 for about a week. May be some useful info in there that will help - hard to say since so much of this is subjective. Good luck!

Since I've had a 2010 MCS loaner for the better part of a week, I thought I'd just comment on a few things I've noticed. Mainly about options. It is all just my opinion and very subjective, but may help some one trying to decide on options.

The 2010 I have is very similar to mine. S model, six-speed manual, does not have the sport suspension.

This model has a package that included the sunroof, auto climate control, and HK stereo upgrade.

Auto climate control - always thought this would be an option I would like. Easy to work. One thing I like is the buttons controlling defrost, vents, feet can be mixed and matched in any combo. That is one thing I don't like about mine - it does not have a vent and feet setting. So that is nice. I suppose it is nice seeing the temp readout digitally. But, once it gets the car to a certain temp, it pretty much cuts everything off. I like having some air blowing on me all the time, so I have to manually turn the fan on. Seems to defeat the purpose of auto climate. So couple nice things about it, but not something I would insist on.

HK stereo - I can definitely tell it has more bass. Maybe more volume in general - kind of hard to say. But the sound is pretty much the same as mine. Again, nice, but not sure I would consider it a cost-effective upgrade.

Piano black interior - I have to say, I really like the look of this. Much better than the fake brushed aluminum checker pattern I have. Doing it again, I'd probably want this.

Chromeline interior - could take it or leave it. I'm not a big fan of it, but it is not bad either.

Wheels - this one has been upgraded to 17" rims and is running 205/45/17s. Can definitely tell the ride is harsher than mine, but not sure how much of that might be due to tire choice. I do feel like the car wants to track the grooves more than mine. I also noticed that whatever rims they are, they have a bunch of torx bolts holding it together (or made to look that way). I thought my s-winders were bad to clean. These would be a nightmare for me.

iPod/USB/Bluetooth integration - I haven't fully explored this in that I haven't tried to connect my iPhone via Bluetooth. However, I did find the Y-cable that can connect my iPhone to the car's stereo using an RCA(?) jack and a USB connection. This caused the iPhone to complain about an improper accessory being attached, though it did look like it was providing some charging. But, the stereo recognized the iPod and I was able to access the songs and control things using the MFSW/radio controls. That was sweet!!!! I'm not a big iPod fan, but as long as I have one, this would be a very nice feature to have. Wonder if I could somehow do a retrofit on mine?

Sport Button - I keep forgetting to turn it on. Glad I did the auto sport button on mod on my MINI.

DSC - this car has DSC, mine doesn't. Haven't driven in any situation where I could tell a difference.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:15 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LarriB
Velour (I hope I'm not being too familiar). What do TSW springs cost and what do you mean I'll be "safe" on the stock shocks?

I'm amazed in my research that a lot of people like the Leatherette. I'll have to go back and look at it.

I gather there are three stereos -Stock ($0) HiDef ($500) and Harmon Kardon ($750). Once I spend $500, I'll go to $750. Or maybe I misunderstood what HiDef is, since I just figured out you can get both HiDef and H-K

Good idea to go aftermarket on the clear bra.
TSW springs will lower ~.75"-1", so they won't affect your camber or bottom out your stock shocks. Will last longer. nM also makes excellent springs that'll give you a 1.2" drop. If you go to the Suspension mods sub-forum you can find more info and pics. This will give you better handling than just the sport suspension, which isn't worth it, IMO. You can get either from WayMotorWorks.com, a vendor here. They run about $250.

Only downside to Leatherette is no Lumbar support. I'd have don't cloth/leather if I could do it over again, since I spent $250 on trim that's included anyways (piano black).

Hi-Fi is discontinued and was crap. You may be thinking of the HD radio option... To go aftermarket thats better than the HK stereo will cost way more than $750. You need good speakers, sub, amp and a lot of labor.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 PM
jimmyd1
4th Gear
Hey guys I got the mini mania stage 1 suspension kit with the 2mm sway bar and Vogtland lowering springs. I put them on and they were supposed to produce a 1 inch drop as well as provide better handling. The rear is lowered as promised but the front is still at stock height. Is there something that I missed? I made sure everything went back together properly and even got it aligned and Firestone said everything was put back properly but I don’t understand why the front didn’t get lowered. If anyone has any ideas please let me know