R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 2009 S convertible trunk lid pops open

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011 | 02:01 PM
ejmach
|
Neutral
2009 S convertible trunk lid pops open

Have had S convertible for two weeks. Trunk pops open frequently. Have not seen anything in manuals. Sliding the key into the ignition, opening the driver side door, pushing the config button on the dash. Am I missing something?

Old 02-09-2011 | 05:15 AM
keithville danny
1st Gear
Had The Same Problem.... Seems Water Gets In The Rear Tailgate Door And Causes Electrical Shorts . Hence The Opening And Closings Without Notice, Had To Bring It In And They Replaced A New Switch And Rubber Seals.

If You Have To Go Far To The Dealer , We Popped Open The Rear Door Covering And Disconnected The Connector To The Switch. But Had To Open And Close The Rear Tailgate From Within. But We Drove Over 200 Miles

Pepper White Peppy

Old 02-09-2011 | 05:58 AM
ejmach
|
Neutral
Thanks for the response. Have appointment with dealer this week.
Mine is also a PW Convert!

Old 02-21-2011 | 05:01 AM
keithville danny
1st Gear
Pepper white club

Glad to hear your choice of colors and convert! So I have been kinda stumbling through this site and "hunting" for all the options. Have you joined the pepper white club or is there a way to help understand this forum?

And did they fix your tailgate?

Old 02-21-2011 | 05:54 AM
ejmach
|
Neutral
Tail gate Fixed

Dealer replace the switch in the trunk with an improved/resistant to moisture unit. No problems since.
Have not joined the pw club. Would like some info. Will search around.

Old 03-05-2011 | 10:18 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Two issues with my rear tailgate door this morning. First the tailgate wasn't staying closed. So I opened and closed it a couple of times and heard what sounded like sloshing water. Turns out the tailgate was filled with water! The only way I could figure out how to drain the tailgate was to remove a little rubber plug under the wire bundle at the base of the tailgate.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order now...

Old 06-29-2011 | 04:47 PM
wordup1010
Neutral
Going back tomorrow for trunk repair---second time

Had my trunk sensor replaced just yesterday. Going back tomorrow because it is still doing it. Not my first trip. Been there 7 times and car only has 16,000 miles on it. Timing tensioner replaced, fuel pump replaced at less than 6,000 after having it towed to dealership, piece on convertible top replaced, speaker replaced.... I think that may be it so far. Looking into a buy back. Not going too smoothly so far. Dealership says they are only the liason's and MiniUsa says they are only the liason. So wish me luck tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ejmach
Have had S convertible for two weeks. Trunk pops open frequently. Have not seen anything in manuals. Sliding the key into the ignition, opening the driver side door, pushing the config button on the dash. Am I missing something?

Old 01-17-2012 | 05:07 PM
Gary33031
1st Gear
I had the problem with water sloshing around in my tail gate. Had the switch replaced but before I did, I located the small rubber plug at the center of the bottom of the tailgate under the rubber strap which links the tailgate to the body. When I pulled the plug, it was like draining a boat. Lots of water. Had the new switch installed. "did not" replace the rubber plug and I've had no further problems. Don't know why the plug is even there, because there is no other point for water egress.

Old 01-07-2013 | 09:30 AM
Temovr
Neutral
Had the same problem. San Diego dealer claims service bulletin states this is a known manufacturing issue on certain convertible's trunk (boot) lids. The rubber grommet at the lower center base of the trunk (basically a drain plug) should have been discarded at assembly time however many were not removed causing this water accumulation (from rain/car washes) problem and subsequent deterioration of trunk release mechanism that's always wet. The dealer will replace under warranty... check your convertible's trunk lid, if it has the rubber grommet (lower center) you might experience the problem. Pull off the grommet and take it to dealer to have them fix it for free before this happens, otherwise, trunk may release on the highway and you can loose your cargo. Ask them to please check car for ALL applicable service bulletins for your car (model/year/build run) to avoid going back and forth!