R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Ordered my S Coupe today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:34 AM
artguy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding the actual order. We wnr into the mini ordering system, and the order was actually placed. Of course no VIN has been assigned at this point, just a production spot. Put down my deposit, looked at the rims, color etc.. on various Coopers in the lot, and then realized on the drive home, that in a few months the real fun will begin!

There is no actual sample of the roof silver color, so we used a slightly darker paint sample that was up on the chip wall to get an idea of how it will look. I had hoped to get the roof in body color, but that is not allowed by MINI. I know the white silver is going to look pretty sweet. I almost opted for blue/silver, but of the 4 MINIs I have owned since 2002, my pepper white was my favorite. I wanted something metallic for this one, or I would have picked PW again!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. I wonder why my dealer is not able to get into the ordering system to place my order.

I am going with Midnight Black with a Silver roof. I assume the Silver roof on the Coupe will be the same Silver as the Clubman roof.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 AM
richreef
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put a deposit down last night at Mt. Laurel Mini in NJ. First one to order new coupe at that dealer! Going with Blue/ Silver with silver mirrors, Sport package with 17" black bullet rims, ipod/USB, black punch leather,silver interior,bike rack adapter. Haven't decided about runflats or not. Had non-runflats on my cabrio because I hated the hard ride but apprently they are improved now. Any thoughts?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM
xcoupe
1st Gear
Just got notice today that my JCW Coupe is in production week 36 and is officially ordered.

Ordered it from Nick Alexander Mini last week.

I went white silver and red roof with stripes...

Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
The 2012 JCW Hardtops and Convertibles are delayed until November. But this isn't happening with JCW Coupes?

I want to order my Coupe.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As of today Mini of the Main Line told me they have no official information on the Coupe (colors, options, etc.) and are unable to place an order yet. They expect that to change in the next few days and will call me.

Anyone know if there is a choice between Laser Blue and Lightning Blue? Currently I have a Laser Blue/White MCS. In the coupe I think I'll choose Lightning Blue/Silver Gray.....no stripes. I'm also partial to White Silver/Red. Making a color combo choice drives me crazy!

Last edited by Herby74; 07-26-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@Herby74,

Unless there is a difference in the USA and Italian color availabilities (which somehow I doubt), the only blue being offered on the Coupe is Lightning Blue. Also, the only way a red roof is available is if you opt for the top-of-the-line John Cooper Works Coupe. Otherwise, you only have the option of a Jet Black or Silver roof (unless you order Midnight Black which is the ONLY color available with a matching roof color).

BTW, I'm on the West coast, and our dealer tells us that they don't have any production slots available yet. They do have all of the official pricing and package/spec information though (which is available in a PDF document over on www.motoringfile.com if you don't already have it).

Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@richreef,

I don't think you can buy a Coupe (S or JCW anyway) in the USA without it having runflat tires on it. Since the cars don't include a spare tire, they must have runflats installed from the factory AFAIK. Unless your dealer swaps them out for you that is. Although, I'd consider that to be a bit of a liability since you'd be pretty much stuck if you happen to get a flat and don't have a spare tire to install.

Last edited by TheOfficeMaven; 07-26-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:06 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@jamesday24,

If @xcoupe truly got a production number from his dealer for a week 36 build JCW Coupe, I guess that would lead us to believe that the JCW aero kits aren't delayed on the Coupes until November production as they are for the other MINI models. MINI stated that the JCW Coupe would be available at launch and so I guess that makes sense.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always motor on standard tires. When my coupe arrives I'll be putting its' run
flats on the lease I'm turning in.....replacing them with 16" BF Goodrich g-force super sport tires. They ride better and are much cheaper to replace if I do get a flat (only one so far in nine years of Mini ownership). I carry a doughnut spare in a blue canvas tire bag with a handle for 'just in case'.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:20 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
There's so much conflicting information out there. Are they rolling out the Coupe ordering system one dealership at a time? One person gets an October delivery timeframe for a JCW Coupe and some of us are told we can't even order or get delivery until November allocation. Crazy.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:08 PM
xcoupe
1st Gear
My dealership had trouble pushing the oRder through the system at first, but they got it through and got confirmation that it'll be in production week 36 today. They told me that 4 others had been ordered across the nation when I put my order in on the 21st.

Sorry if it is mixed information among everyone, just sharing what was told to me.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Hi @xcoupe,

Thanks for the clarification on your JCW Coupe order. That being said, unless you got an actual production number from your MA (not a VIN), then all bets are off. Until a production number has be assigned your Coupe it's just a mythical creature.

I'm more than sure that your order was fed into the dealer's system (and possibly even MINI's), but until such time as your MA can get you an actual production number (that you can use to track the production status of your Coupe on MINI USA's web site or by calling 1-866-ASK-MINI), I wouldn't consider the order as being 100% "placed" yet.

See the "How to Track your MINI: Revised, Expanded and Updated" thread for more information on tracking your MINI.

We're on our fith MINI now and so we know the process quite well.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
xcoupe
1st Gear
MA called me today to confirm again that the car is ordered and in MINI's system. They said I'll have my production number in a week, but the car is going trough week 36.

@TheOfficeMaven Thanks for the info. This will be my 6th Mini I have ordered and tracked. Second car I am having as a personal car and 6th for my family, so I know the process pretty well.

Also on the list: 2003 MCS (red), 2004 MCS (blue), 2007 MCS (astro black), 2008 Clubman (eclipse gray), 2009 MCS(pepper white), 2011 Countryman (true blue)

Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@xcoupe,

Awesome! It's good to see another multiple MINI owner then. ;-) My wife and I have purchased all of our MINI's directly (Hyper Blue/White 2005 Cooper S with full JCW, Pepper White/Black 2005 Cooper S, Hyper Blue/Black 2005 Cooper S, and a Silver/Black 2007 Cooper S).

We really love our MINIs but we've had loads of problems with some of them over the years. Our Hyper Blue/White 2005 MINI Cooper S with full JCW turned out to be a lemon and had to be bought back by MINI USA if you can believe it.

We've also had loads of problems with our 2007 Cooper S. It actually had its ***-end fall completely off because the suspension bolts were never tightened at the factory! And most recently, my 2005 MINI Cooper S with only 21,000 miles on the clock had a catastrophic power steering pump failure while in a high speed turn and nearly took me down for the count (no joke).

As you can imagine, we've thought long and hard about ever buying another MINI again, but we've decided that we like the Coupe enough to give MINI one more try. Probably not the best idea since the Coupe is a first year production (as was our 2007), but we figure that a good portion of the car is based upon the R5x line and so it "should" hopefully be pretty sound even for a first year production vehicle.

Anyway, good luck with your JCW Coupe and keep us posted on all the details.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
@xcoupe: There's no Coupe on the config yet, I know your ordered at a dealer. My question is what do you get in the JCW that you have to pay extra for on the Coupe hatchback (besides the 17" wheels and the aero kit)? I looked at the Italian site's config and at the current hatchback and JCW. Is the R58 any different?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@TheBigNewt,

Are you talking about the actual JCW Coupe model OR the JCW Package that is available for the Cooper Coupe and Cooper S Coupe models?

AFAIK (and @xcoupe can correct me if I'm wrong) with a JCW Coupe model you get:
  • 208 HP JCW turbocharged engine and management software (without the new Valvetronic improvements that were made to the 181 HP Cooper S turbocharged engines in last year's model refresh)
  • JCW brakes (larger front and rear rotors and 4 piston calipers I believe)
  • JCW aerodynamic kit
  • 17" alloy wheels
  • Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
  • Red stitching on the steering wheel, shift boot and e-brake boot
  • Availability of chili red roof and mirror caps at no extra charge
  • Availability of chili red interior surface (or any other interior surface color) at no extra charge
The JCW Coupe is a $6,600 premium over the Cooper S Coupe. You don't get a JCW suspension kit (or even the Sport suspension - that's a $500 upgrade for all models), and the cool JCW black/anthracite instrument panel that used to be included in the JCW package of days gone by is now a $1,000 option (on all models). Even the standard red pinned cloth seats have been taken away from the JCW Coupe model AFAIK.

As for the JCW package (a $2,000 option on the Cooper S Coupe and a $2,500 option on the Cooper Coupe), you get:
  • JCW aerodynamic kit
  • 17" alloy wheels
  • Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
  • Red stitching on the steering wheel, shift boot and e-brake boot
I personally think that the JCW aerodynamic kit makes the look of the Coupe and so I probably wouldn't purchase one without it. However, with the Valvetronic improvements made to the Cooper S engines, I just can't justify the $4,600 additional charge for the JCW Coupe vs. a Cooper S Coupe with a JCW Package.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:00 PM
xcoupe
1st Gear
@TheOfficeMaven
Nice to meet you too.
I had a whole slew of problems with mine, but nothing so major that I was ever questioning my MINI love. My 2007 MCS was actually one of my more stable ones, which is why I feel somewhat comfortable getting a first year coupe. *knock on wood*

@TheBigNewt
You get everything that TheOfficeMaven said in the actual JCW model. I think you also get a different exhaust, but I could be wrong.

For the wheels you get get a choice of the JCW lineup of wheels, or at least my MA offered me that no extra charge.

I think I still got the standard red pinned cloth seats though, I could be wrong there as well.

And don't forget the badges... you get badges ;]

I agree completely with @TheOfficeMaven about the areo kit making the look of the coupe, and just ordered the JCW instead of configuring an S.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:41 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@xcoupe,

Ah yes, the badges. Can't forget those now can we. And yes indeed, I forgot to include the JCW exhaust in my list as well. That's a pivitol part of the kit for sure.

And please don't get me wrong... The JCW cars are awesome. Completely different driving experience than the regular S without a doubt. I just can't justify the premium to the wife. Otherwise, we'd be getting one as well.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
I go back and forth between an S Coupe with JCW Package or a JCW Coupe. Right now I'm leaning towards a JCW...just because.

Don't forget about the sound of the JCW vs. S.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I'm having the same $4600 dilemna: the S with JCW kit vs factory JCW. If I got the S I'd get the AT (so my wife can drive it), so the difference to me is only $3400 (and she can either learn to drive a stick or stick with the Honda Element lol). The exhaust and brakes are worth about $2k to me, so I'd get the engine for $1400 the way I'm talking myself into it. Tough choices are tough to make. True, I could end up divorced over this, but we're talking serious car stuff here, right?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I could never justify spending over $30k on a car that is half the size/motor/etc of other cars in that class.

$35k you can get an EVO/STI/335/135/GTi

Just seems crazy someone would spend that on a mini.

Continue.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
I could never justify spending over $30k on a car that is half the size/motor/etc of other cars in that class.

$35k you can get an EVO/STI/335/135/GTi

Just seems crazy someone would spend that on a mini.

Continue.
EVO, starts at 35k ~20 mpg
STI starts at 34k ~20 mpg
335 starts at 43k ~23 mpg
135 starts at 39k ~23/24mpg
GTI starts at 24k ~26 mpg

None of these are directly comparable by cost, mpg or feel/drivability. So while I understand what you saying a JCW Hardtop starts at 30k, it is in a class of its own. If I had $35k it would probably still stay with the MINI brand; you know a great car and some accessories too.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Yeah, the only car mentioned that's in the same price ballpark as the Mini is the GTI. The 128 is closer to the JCW Coupe ($32k). You think heavily optioning a Mini is a lot try a Beemer lol. Personally HP numbers mean nothing to me. It's all about what the car feels like. The percent of time spent with the car floored is almost zilch here.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
My dealership is still saying they can't order a Coupe. So I called Peabody MINI to ask them if they are able to place orders. The MA I spoke to didn't know anything about it and was going to have the manager call me back.

Quick Reply: R58 Ordered my S Coupe today!