R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Ordered my S Coupe today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011 | 10:31 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Talked to our MA (who's been selling us MINI's for nearly a decade now) and he said that their dealership's pre-configured Coupes go in to production this month. Apparently each MINI dealership gets a certian number of pre-configured Coupe models for use in their showroom, etc. They can't configure the cars and they get whatever colors/options MINI happens to send them. Customer-configured cars go into production in September (starting week 36).

No production numbers have been alloted to our dealership yet and so they aren't able to place any Coupe orders ATM. Don't know how the other dealerships are getting their orders in already??? Our MA says that customer orders should start happening this month though. Our MA also mentioned that the 2012 MY MINI USA configurator "should" show up this week sometime (including the Coupe). It's odd that customer-configured 2012 hardtops are already being ordered (and delivered!) when the MINI USA configurator hasn't even been updated to reflect the 2012 MY changes yet. Pretty bizzare way of running a business if you ask me.

Old 08-01-2011 | 11:18 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Agreed. I have heard that 2012 models are already arriving at dealerships and it's only just now August. MINI isn't even allowing certain models and configurations to be ordered at the moment and my dealer has had to scramble to get cars on the lot. And the website configurator hasn't been updated, as mentioned. It's frustrating for customers as well as the MAs. You'd expect more organization from BMW/MINI.

It's August 1st. I'm ready to order a Coupe for the October 1st launch. If I can't even get a Coupe on that date, who will?

Old 08-01-2011 | 11:56 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I agree it's pretty weird, and not exactly confidence inspiring. I would have gotten the configurator running THEN started taking orders. Actually I probably would have had some sample cars at my dealership for test drives/tire kicking THEN started taking orders. But what do I know?
EDIT: Someone on the other thread said Configurator Build Your Own is now up as of an hour ago.

Old 08-03-2011 | 06:04 PM
richreef
3rd Gear
I just ordered my Blue S coupe today. Silver top with stripes,JCW package,polar beige leather,blue tooth, My Mini dash. First one ordered from Mt. Laurel, NJ. They said they have 17 slots including demos. Should get my number to plug in tomorrow. Still have no idea about production time.

Old 08-03-2011 | 08:14 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
I got a call from my dealer today saying that I could order my Coupe. I will be ordering it on Saturday.

Old 08-05-2011 | 08:26 AM
simpsoap
3rd Gear
Curious to know if you guys are actually getting to put an order in, or if it's just a pre-order? I called my dealer today as I'm really interested in a Coupe and I was told that they are unable to order them. I was told that there is nothing in their system that allows them to input an order? My local dealer is Midwestern MINI in Dublin, OH.

TIA!

Andy

Old 08-05-2011 | 08:36 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Still can't order here.

Old 08-05-2011 | 10:09 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Our MA contacted us today to let us know that they got their September production slots and so they can indeed start ordering them. Apparently, they only got three production slots for the entire month of September (which as you can imagine they want a premium over MSRP for). Their first available production slot is for a week 37 build (i.e. 2nd week in September) so it looks like they got one slot per week in September.

Old 08-06-2011 | 06:50 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
It seems the dealers are not getting access to ordering at the same time, but I can't understand why that would be. I've been checking one or two times a week until they finally told me Wednesday they can take my order. Once they get access to the "order bank", they can enter your car order. At some point MINI pulls those cars from the order bank and assigns a production time. I was told my order would be for October production, not September, so we'll see. I'm going to order this afternoon and will report back.

Old 08-06-2011 | 10:35 AM
richreef
3rd Gear
My MA took my order and "entered it" whatever that means. He said there is a tentative production date in October. I guess delivery won't be until November if I'm lucky. I was reading some of the threads of other guys who ordered the 2012 F57"s and they seem upset about late deliveries also.

Old 08-06-2011 | 12:17 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
I just gave my MA my order but he didn't put it in the system yet. They mentioned Monday. So I don't have an exact production week, but they kept telling me October production for November delivery.

So if the launch of the MINI Coupe is October 1st, what is going to go on sale that day? I won't be happy if dealers have random Coupes for sale on October 1st but I have to wait until November for mine. I was ready to order weeks ago.

Old 08-06-2011 | 12:57 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
We had a September production slot but just gave it up for an October one in favor of not paying a premium over MSRP. Just the way it goes I suppose.

From what I understand, there are Coupes in production right now (August production), but they are pre-configured by MINI (not the dealers) and they are intended to be used as show room cars, test drive cars, etc.

The September production Coupes (which apparently start week 37 and not week 36 as we expected) are the first round of Coupes that can be customer/dealer configured. However, it appears that each dealership is only getting a very small number of production slots for September (as mentioned previously, our dealership only got three - I don't know if that is three Coupe slots in total or three slots for each different Coupe model like JustaCoupe, Coupe S, and JCW Coupe). Therefore, I imagine that the few September production slots that each dealership does get will be highly sought after (and perhaps demand a premium over MSRP).

Thus, it looks like October production is when the fun really starts for us "average" Joe's.

Old 08-06-2011 | 01:13 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Anyone know if these are manufactured in Oxford, UK or Austria? Or both?

Old 08-06-2011 | 01:32 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
AFAIK, all of the Coupes are being made in the UK.

Old 08-06-2011 | 07:09 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Today the dealership received an allotment of three coupes for September build.....one for display, one for test drives and.....one for me! I guess it pays to be a loyal customer of nine years. I'll be informed about a production week when a VIN is assigned.

Old 08-07-2011 | 07:03 AM
mrjasey
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
EVO, starts at 35k ~20 mpg
STI starts at 34k ~20 mpg
335 starts at 43k ~23 mpg
135 starts at 39k ~23/24mpg
GTI starts at 24k ~26 mpg

None of these are directly comparable by cost, mpg or feel/drivability. So while I understand what you saying a JCW Hardtop starts at 30k, it is in a class of its own. If I had $35k it would probably still stay with the MINI brand; you know a great car and some accessories too.
I built a JCW Coupe and by the time I added all the stuff I wanted, it was 48k. That is pretty expensive IMO. For now I'm keeping my modded R53 and my modded STI.

Old 08-07-2011 | 12:39 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@Herby74,

That's terrific. Congrats!

Old 08-07-2011 | 12:53 PM
artguy
|
2nd Gear
Finally!

Well guys, my white silver/silver coupe is showing up on the MINI USA tracking page. I've got my fingers crossed the double silver goes through. Oddly, you still can't combine the 2 on the configurator - but my MA was able to put it in the order. In fact - on the MINI USA site, the pop up with details of your order shows silver roof and mirror caps. I figure worst case it will show up with black roof/mirrors - but either way I'll be a very happy camper. Should be in that first batch, as I was the first to order at MOP.

Old 08-08-2011 | 02:22 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Very cool. I'm expecting you to be the first of us to get a Coupe.

Today I got my build date: Week 40 (October 2-8).

Old 08-08-2011 | 03:24 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Our MA contacted us the other day to let us know that they got a few extra September production slots and so they went ahead and swapped our October production slot for a September one.

We received our 7 digit production number today for the September build. We're not sure if it's a week 37, 38, or 39 build yet though. The Owner's Lounge hasn't yet been updated to reflect our particular order specifics, but we're on our way now.

Old 08-08-2011 | 03:27 PM
xcoupe
1st Gear
My mini showed up on the MiniUSA tracking on saturday. I went to the dealer and saw the coupe in person and they gave me the production number, so I put it in and it showed up.

The Car is more beautiful in person then it is in pictures. I am super excited. Congrats artguy.

Old 08-08-2011 | 06:44 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
That's great news, TheOfficeMaven. Make sure you add your Coupe to the MINI Coupe Roll Call thread now that it's ordered.

I hope to get my production number this week. I'm supposedly the first one at my dealership but couldn't do better than week 40.

I haven't seen a Coupe in person yet, and don't even know when I might get to.

Old 08-08-2011 | 07:20 PM
jbcoupe12
Neutral
Have my coupe ordered as of today with a week 36 production date. If all goes to plan, I should be zipping around the 405 in So Cal about mid October!!

Old 08-08-2011 | 07:34 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@jbcoupe12,

Have you received confirmation that it is indeed a week 36 production? I'm also in So Cal and our MA mentioned that there aren't any week 36 production slots (only week 37 and onward). Just curious.

@jamesday,

Even with a week 40 production date, I bet that you get your Coupe before we do. It takes the better part of a month to get MINIs through the Panama Canal and over to the West coast.

Old 08-08-2011 | 07:41 PM
richreef
3rd Gear
Just got my production number tonight! I'm listed in the owners lounge already. How do you guys figure out the production week. I'm on the east coast and I remember my last Mini only took a few days to get from the Port in NJ to Philly. I'm psyched!

Quick Reply: R58 Ordered my S Coupe today!