R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 MINI Coupe Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011 | 12:37 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Do they actually truck it the whole way or do they stick it on a train first?
All trucks from the VDC from what I understand. Adding another transload into the mix is just another place where the vehicle would need to be inspected.

Old 11-07-2011 | 12:58 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Question: How much is the JCW package and what do you get besides the aero kit and the wheels?
It is $2,000 USD on the "S" and $2,500 on the justa (or included in the price of the JCW) and you get:

- JCW Aero Kit (front and rear aprons, side skirts, black grill with chrome surround, and functional front and rear brake ducts on turbocharged cars)

- 17" Challenge Spoke Wheels

- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) w/ Electronic Differential Lock Control (EDLC)

- JCW Door Sills

- JCW Interior Accents (red stitching on the steering wheel, shift boot, and e-brake boot, and a shift **** with a red colored shift pattern on it)

By far the best bang-for-the-buck of any of the MINI options. The aero kit by itself, or the Challenge Spoke rims by themselves are worth the price of admission of the JCW Package. Let alone all the other goodies.

Old 11-07-2011 | 01:02 PM
wkp1219
3rd Gear
i noticed on the Mini build web site the JCW has an option for the aero kit. I though it was part of the JCW pacage???
the front bumper looks slightly different and the grill surround is black but the side skirts look the same. how confusing do they need to make it?

Old 11-07-2011 | 01:08 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
When you buy the JCW Package, the aero kit is painted and installed at the factory when your MINI is built. I believe that if you buy the areo kit as a separate JCW option, then it is painted and installed by either your dealer, or at the VDC (and is more expensive - and you don't get any of the other items that come with the JCW Package).

Old 11-07-2011 | 01:38 PM
wkp1219
3rd Gear
huh, ok.
I'm going for a test drive tomorrow in an "S" then will hopefully finalize my JCW option pckg. and get this baby ordered. I think Im going with the silver/red combo. It's a toss up between that or silver/black. Cold weather packg and the premium packg and I think I'm good. it's hard to believe this little car is $40k!

Old 11-07-2011 | 01:45 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
A red top is only available in the top-of-the-line JCW Coupe (at least in the USA anyway). You can only get a Black or Silver top on an "S" or a justa Coupe.

Old 11-07-2011 | 01:46 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by wkp1219
huh, ok.
I'm going for a test drive tomorrow in an "S" then will hopefully finalize my JCW option pckg. and get this baby ordered. I think Im going with the silver/red combo. It's a toss up between that or silver/black. Cold weather packg and the premium packg and I think I'm good. it's hard to believe this little car is $40k!
That's the combo I like best (silver/red), and I don't think any of the people here have that. I'm not interested until 2012, and I'm leaning S because of the AT, but don't tempt me much. $40k?: just look at it like a low end 3 series BMW!

Old 11-07-2011 | 01:57 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I wanted White Silver/Red as well, but it was only available on the JCW. Therefore, we went with White Silver/Black instead. I just couldn't get myself to buy a JCW as I didn't want to take a chance on the older N14 Prince engine again (after all the problems we had with that engine in our R56). The newer N18 Prince engine in the "S" was the driving force behind our purchase. Well, that and the fact that I wanted to keep the purchase under the $30k mark.

Old 11-07-2011 | 02:01 PM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
That's the combo I like best (silver/red), and I don't think any of the people here have that. I'm not interested until 2012, and I'm leaning S because of the AT, but don't tempt me much. $40k?: just look at it like a low end 3 series BMW!
xcoupe here has a White Silver/Chili Red JCW Coupe.

Old 11-07-2011 | 02:02 PM
wkp1219
3rd Gear
I have AT now in my R53 and there are days when I'm glad I have it and days where I wish I had manual trans. I'm leaning towards the idea that all sports cars should have manual trans.
Havent heard anything negative about the engine, I'll have to look into that one.

Old 11-07-2011 | 02:11 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
xcoupe here has a White Silver/Chili Red JCW Coupe.
Only bummer is what happened to xcoupe's WS/CR JCW Coupe. Hope he's got it all sorted out with MINI USA by now.

Old 11-07-2011 | 10:25 PM
jdurdick
3rd Gear
TheOfficeMavin my recommendation for you is to speak with a vinyl installer and you could have a WS/CR combo in a short while and for not a lot of money.

Old 11-08-2011 | 04:48 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
I wanted White Silver/Red as well, but it was only available on the JCW. Therefore, we went with White Silver/Black instead. I just couldn't get myself to buy a JCW as I didn't want to take a chance on the older N14 Prince engine again (after all the problems we had with that engine in our R56). The newer N18 Prince engine in the "S" was the driving force behind our purchase. Well, that and the fact that I wanted to keep the purchase under the $30k mark.
Precisely my thought process, on all points. The WS/R combo is the mutt's nuts, but I wanted the N18 engine and the JCW price tag was also just too much to swallow. As it is, the MCS price tag left me with little room for options. (I knew I'd be spending extra on gap insurance & extended warranty already)

Over time, I'll be upgrading things here & there, so much like my R53 MCS, my R58 MCS will likely end up performing like a JCW. Or maybe outperforming, depending on how much I decide to tinker with.

Old 11-08-2011 | 06:25 AM
wkp1219
3rd Gear
the JCW is available with silver/red, not the S. the price difference has me on the fence about which way to go, maybe just suck it up and go with the JCW with minimal options???? That way I get my silver/red, color, more HP, aero kit, big brakes and some other upgrades.
I'm thinking the silver wheels look better than black on the silver/red combo???

Old 11-08-2011 | 07:10 AM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
the JCW is available with silver/red, not the S. the price difference has me on the fence about which way to go, maybe just suck it up and go with the JCW with minimal options???? That way I get my silver/red, color, more HP, aero kit, big brakes and some other upgrades.
I'm thinking the silver wheels look better than black on the silver/red combo???
I think what "looks good/better" is totally subjective and is completely up to what is your own taste. Personally I am not a fan of the black wheels in any case but other people love them. That's what is so great about MINI.

Old 11-08-2011 | 07:43 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jdurdick
TheOfficeMavin my recommendation for you is to speak with a vinyl installer and you could have a WS/CR combo in a short while and for not a lot of money.
Ha! Thanks, but I'd never put vinyl on my Coupe's roof. From past experience, the stripes barely hold up to the California sun, let alone a vinyl roof. Besides that, I'm completely happy with the black roof now that we actually have the car. It looks great!

Old 11-08-2011 | 11:06 AM
wkp1219
3rd Gear
test drive

just test drove the coupe S auto, it was pretty quick. The manual trans car was on the showroom floor and I couldnt wait an hour for them to move it. I got on it pretty good, one thing I noticed is that it's way too quiet, can barely hear the exhaust although it did have that nice "burble" when you let off the gas. Now to decide on whether to go JCW or S.

Attached Thumbnails MINI Coupe Roll Call-2011-11-08_10-58-49_85.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011 | 06:25 PM
v2Bob
2nd Gear
Got mine today, took the scenic route home, WOW. Was too focused on other stuff at the dealership to take pics, and was dark when I got home. There should be sun for it Thursday, but driving might get in the way...

Old 11-09-2011 | 08:44 AM
jdurdick
3rd Gear
Congrats v2Bob, bet your enjoying it already lol. Look forward to pics.

I pick mine up today at 3PM PST, hope this day accelerates until then. I plan on a huge number of pictures and some videos.

Old 11-09-2011 | 10:57 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
just test drove the coupe S auto, it was pretty quick. The manual trans car was on the showroom floor and I couldnt wait an hour for them to move it. I got on it pretty good, one thing I noticed is that it's way too quiet, can barely hear the exhaust although it did have that nice "burble" when you let off the gas. Now to decide on whether to go JCW or S.
I'm having the same dilemna: S with auto or JCW. My wife won't drive a stick. I'm afraid if I drive the JCW that's the end of the decision. I like that CR/Silver car you drove.

Old 11-10-2011 | 05:47 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
On the Elektra too?

Originally Posted by gloomchen
Whose car is on the Elektra? My car is on the Elektra. Baltimore ETA 11/18.

If there's a crackmonkey driving my truck from the VDC I might get it before Thanksgiving, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll be more than happy to put the Thanksgiving travel miles on my present car.
Hi all! Im new to NAM. I ordered my coupe on october 3rd. Laguna green with silver roof. I am also having the stripes done at the dealer. I was told that I couldn't get the wheels OR the stripes I wanted. Mini of Pittsburgh is making it happen though. Whew

I think my coupe is on Elektra as well. It's just a guess because that was the only ship with dates that matched when my MA said it left the UK for Baltimore. I am excited for my coupe to arrive, but get a little teary eyed at the thought of letting go of my 2007 hardtop.

Congratulations to all of you that already have your coupes! I hope it goes quick for the rest of us!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
mini2.pdf (542.2 KB, 153 views)
Old 11-10-2011 | 05:54 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
YAY ANOTHER LAGUNA! That makes three of us, although you're the first with silver. Funny, because browsing the User's Gallery, nearly all of the LG Coupes I saw were with silver vs. black.

Actually it makes sense that you're on my boat, as I presume since LG is an oddball limited color, they'd be doing a whole batch together. I wonder how many other LGs our cars are partying with?

Old 11-10-2011 | 06:04 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
I dunno, but its gotta be one he** of a party!!

Old 11-10-2011 | 08:35 PM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
congrats! I considered the silver roof too but opted for black in the end. I think if I had chosen BRGII I would have done silver.

Old 11-10-2011 | 09:31 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
Thanks glennaa11!! I saw real (not config) pictures of a LG/B Cooper Hardtop and it was a sweet combo! I am sure your coupe will look even better than that You cant lose with either choice.

I found out that my new Mini is on the Independence II enroute to baltimore. Set to arrive on November 15th. That is 3 days sooner than I expected when I thought I was on the Elektra. Hip Hip Hooray!!

Has anyone seen the Mini Yours Soda leather seats? I ordered based on the pics because my dealer didn't have a sample. Fingers crossed! I definitely think I will have to stop eating in my car though :/

Quick Reply: R58 MINI Coupe Roll Call