R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 MINI Coupe Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011 | 05:40 PM
Cred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 1classymini
The Independence 2 just arrived in Baltimore!! Does anyone else here have a Mini on that ship?
Originally Posted by paulsminis
Our coupe is on board with yours. Since the Wallenius facility's hours are only until 3:30PM on weekdays, they will probably be sitting on board until tomorrow and the Independence sails tomorrow probably in the evening.

Paul
My (our) coupe is on there as well. But the track and trace on the WW website doesn't show that it is unloaded yet. I think Paul is correct we might not see that it is delivered to VDC until tomorrow. Now the end is near.

Old 11-15-2011 | 07:25 PM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
I finally picked up my JCW Coupe tonight. I only motored 11 miles home but I already love the MINI. It looks amazing, sounds awesome, and drives great. Visibility is fine for me, that's not going to be an issue. The Black Jack mirror caps add just the right amount of character. I also added the sport antenna and Black Jack valve stem caps. One nice detail I didn't expect was the Black Star Bullet center caps have the JCW logo.

I'll get some daylight photos soon.

Last edited by jamesday24; 11-15-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2011 | 08:14 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Wow !

Nice Coupe!! Very nice touch with the mirror caps too !

Can't wait to see some more pics. Enjoy the the ride

Old 11-15-2011 | 08:51 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
I finally picked up my JCW Coupe tonight. I only motored 11 miles home but I already love the MINI. It looks amazing, sounds awesome, and drives great. Visibility is fine for me, that's not going to be an issue. The Black Jack mirror caps add just the right amount of character. I also added the sport antenna and Black Jack valve stem caps. One nice detail I didn't expect was the Black Star Bullet center caps have the JCW logo.

I'll get some daylight photos soon.

Told Ya!! It's an awesome car. I'm glad you finally got it. It sure seemed like a long time even to me and I wasn't waiting for it.

I think you will enjoy the heck out of it. These cars are fast and fun. I had a Honda that wanted to race me up the ramp onto the freeway this morning. What a joke. Talk about being embarrassed. My rear view mirror was full of Honda getting very small.

Enjoy your new car James!! It looks awesome!!

Old 11-16-2011 | 10:02 AM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
Thanks, Pat. You were definitely right.

I started a new thread called "Meet Newton" which has some more photos.

Old 11-16-2011 | 03:15 PM
Cred
4th Gear
The Independence 2 just arrived in Baltimore!! Does anyone else here have a Mini on that ship?
Our coupe is on board with yours. Since the Wallenius facility's hours are only until 3:30PM on weekdays, they will probably be sitting on board until tomorrow and the Independence sails tomorrow probably in the evening.

Paul
Any news on the Independence II? I don't get any change when I put my vin in the cargo id at the WW website. It still looks like it is onboard. It doesn't even tell me that the Independence II is docked at Baltimore.

Old 11-16-2011 | 04:24 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
independence 2

Originally Posted by Cred
Any news on the Independence II? I don't get any change when I put my vin in the cargo id at the WW website. It still looks like it is onboard. It doesn't even tell me that the Independence II is docked at Baltimore.
I used a real time ship tracking site that showed the independence 2 leaving Baltimore (where it had been anchored for about 24 hrs) early this afternoon, so I think they must have unloaded this morning and are on to the next stop. I called the automated system and it still said awaiting a shipping vessel. Geezum.

I hope they hurry up at the VDC. I wonder if they work weekends there? I guess it doesnt matter much for me because I still need to get my sport stripes put on at the dealer once it arrives (more waiting). Why they couldn't do it at the factory, I dont know.

Old 11-16-2011 | 04:33 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
Here is the website I have been using.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/#

Its strange, but the Independence 2 is now anchored across the harbor from where it was this morning. You can track by vessel and it will show you its path, updated every couple of minutes.

Old 11-16-2011 | 05:38 PM
LTLMCPE
3rd Gear
Here is the website I have been using.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/#

Its strange, but the Independence 2 is now anchored across the harbor from where it was this morning. You can track by vessel and it will show you its path, updated every couple of minutes.

That is normal for Baltimore. These RORO vessels unload some cargo on one side of the harbor (agriculture and construction machinery, and some auto manufactuers) then move across the harbor to unload BMW's, MINI's and others at that terminal.

Old 11-16-2011 | 06:15 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
I hope they hurry up at the VDC. I wonder if they work weekends there? I guess it doesnt matter much for me because I still need to get my sport stripes put on at the dealer once it arrives (more waiting). Why they couldn't do it at the factory, I dont know.
Most cars don't sit at the VDC at all. What happens is that the world of trucking is stuck in the 1970s so you probably won't hear when it got on to the truck until it's already been on the truck for a couple of days. It's a nice little black hole in the tracking process.

As for the stripes, there was an issue with getting the contrasting LG roof stripes, which apparently then blows the entire concept of putting on even the remaining stripes at the factory. Or something. At least when you ordered yours, they already knew about this fun glitch... mine was ordered with stripes and production was actually held up until my MA took the stripes off of the order.

On the bright side, stripes don't take hours upon hours to install, so unless you have some other crazy dealer-installed options, it shouldn't slow things down much at all.

Old 11-16-2011 | 08:15 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
Gloomchen, thanks for the info!! Hopefully the trucking "black hole" will be minimized since Baltimore is not too far from Pittsburgh. Is your dealer going to put the stripes on your new mini? I actually found out about the stripe issue the day after I placed my order and my dealer resolved it quickly. It didn't delay anything as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-16-2011 | 08:32 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
Yep, dealer is doing my stripes. After all the craziness, they offered it up right away.

My MA also realized very quickly that I live and die by my calendar, so barring any issues, I have a tentative date for delivery on 11/26. Ideal, so I can put all those Thanksgiving family visit traveling miles on my Mazda before trade-in.

Old 11-17-2011 | 12:39 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Independence II sailed from Baltimore's Dundalk Terminal at 3:30PM EST so all the MINIS destined for Baltimore best be off the ship now!

Old 11-17-2011 | 01:30 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
And the Elektra should be pushing off from New York any time now. It's been behind ETA for the whole trip though so who knows.

Old 11-17-2011 | 05:05 PM
lisemini
1st Gear
Arrived today on Elektra/NY port; they must have been making up for lost time b/c MA reports already cleared VDC and released to carrier!

Old 11-17-2011 | 05:15 PM
Cred
4th Gear
Independence II sailed from Baltimore's Dundalk Terminal at 3:30PM EST so all the MINIS destined for Baltimore best be off the ship now!
I hope it doesn't take to long to get our Minis. I have to call my MA to see if there is any info.

Old 11-17-2011 | 06:00 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Cred
I hope it doesn't take to long to get our Minis. I have to call my MA to see if there is any info.
Heard! My MA said she thought they were loading it in a truck this morning. They have a few cars coming from the independence 2, so I hope she is right.

Old 11-17-2011 | 06:29 PM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
I have updated the roll call list in the first post. Please let me know if I missed anyone or if you want to add/correct your information.

Don't forget the spreadsheet!

Old 11-17-2011 | 07:08 PM
fifthsun
1st Gear
Old 11-18-2011 | 01:36 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
From Indepence II to Cincinnati

I called my MA to see if he could tell me when our Coupe might be on a truck headed to Cincinnati.....he didn't hesitate telling me it would not be on a truck because it just came off the truck in Cincinnati an hour or so ago. If they get the custom leather done and Invisi-shield installed, I may be able to pick it up on Tuesday evening, just in time to drive it to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving!

This is interesting in that the Wallenius site says it cleared customs at Midnight last night and that "Liner release" was at 9:40 this morning. Evidence points to Wallenius not logging real times...

Old 11-18-2011 | 01:46 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
Are you taking into account the time zone factor? Wallenius' entire site is in Zulu time, which is 6 hours ahead of Central.

Old 11-18-2011 | 02:17 PM
Cred
4th Gear
I called my MA to see if he could tell me when our Coupe might be on a truck headed to Cincinnati.....he didn't hesitate telling me it would not be on a truck because it just came off the truck in Cincinnati an hour or so ago. If they get the custom leather done and Invisi-shield installed, I may be able to pick it up on Tuesday evening, just in time to drive it to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving!

This is interesting in that the Wallenius site says it cleared customs at Midnight last night and that "Liner release" was at 9:40 this morning. Evidence points to Wallenius not logging real times...
Dude that's good news! I actually was wondering why WW said the same thing for my car. The date of liner release 11/18/11! My MA has the day off so I left a message with the sales mgr. Hopefully I will hear something soon since we were on the same ship.

Old 11-18-2011 | 03:47 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gloomchen
Are you taking into account the time zone factor? Wallenius' entire site is in Zulu time, which is 6 hours ahead of Central.

Oops, caught me! And I live in Zulu time.....and ought to know better. Still from off the boat at 1300 EST yesterday to at the dealer in 26 hours is pretty good.

Old 11-20-2011 | 03:33 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
JCW Coupé ordered on 11/10/11! A couple days after that (once I got my production order number) the OL tracking website updated the dealer slot specs to the feature specs I ordered. A day or two after that the toll free automated call stated "scheduled for production with no production date set". I clicked over and talked with a great customer service rep who told me I was scheduled for production as well. Strangely the OL tracking site still has me at "on order" since the day I got my Production order number. No updates or changes since then.

2012 John Cooper Works Coupé

DESIGN
Eclipse Gray Body Color. Anthracite Headliner Chrome Line Interior Dash Surface in Striped Alloy. Door Panel in Carbon Black Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction Satellite Gray Color Line Red Sport Stripes Chili Red Roof/Mirrors. Center Arm Rest. Leather: Lounge Satellite Gray. Sport Seats Blank Line

PACKAGES
Cold Weather Package. Heated Front Seats
Heated Powerfold Mirrors & Washer Jets
Blank Line

PERFORMANCE
6-Speed Getrag Manual Start/Stop Button Tuned 208-HP Turbocharged Engine 4 Airbags w/Side-Thorax Protection Dynamic Stability Control Dynamic Traction Control STD Sport Button Sport Suspension. Front Fog Lamps STD Retractable Headlamp Washers. Xenon Headlamps. 17" Challenge Spoke Black

INSTRUMENTS
AC & Air Filter 6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD HD Radio Harman/Kardon Sound System. SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio Bluetooth and USB/iPod Adapter. On-Board Computer

MINI MOTORING ACCESSORIES
Driving Lamps Black

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 11-20-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-20-2011 | 03:53 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
TerminalVelocity - what you're seeing as far as order status is par for the course. I got a dealer slot and was "scheduled for production with no date set" for an entire month. Just when I got impatient, my dealer said it went into production the previous day, although the website and ASK-MINI didn't know that. Such is an imperfect system, but better than nothing at all.

So my MINI hit the VDC yesterday and considering how much of a pest I've been, I'm surprised I didn't hear anything from my MA. I'll get an update on ETA from him tomorrow, here's hoping that we're still on track to deliver 11/26. I'll survive if I have to wait until the following Monday or Tuesday, but I'd rather have the Sunday to play around before going directly into my daily commute routine. I've already started stalking the 10-day weather forecast...

Quick Reply: R58 MINI Coupe Roll Call