R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 MINI Coupe Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011 | 05:07 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gloomchen
I've already started stalking the 10-day weather forecast...
What you're not going to drive it in the rain/snow??

awwww come on it's a Mini.

Old 11-20-2011 | 05:55 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
It's got plenty of time to see terrible weather -- we got our first snow yesterday. And I actually love driving in snow if traffic is light. But I'm hoping I get a chance to zip around before I have to start worrying about cars sliding into me. It usually takes a good month before Minnesotans remember how to drive in the snow, and there's no fun in all of that defensive driving.

Old 11-21-2011 | 11:32 AM
Cred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
What you're not going to drive it in the rain/snow??

awwww come on it's a Mini.
It's got plenty of time to see terrible weather -- we got our first snow yesterday. And I actually love driving in snow if traffic is light. But I'm hoping I get a chance to zip around before I have to start worrying about cars sliding into me. It usually takes a good month before Minnesotans remember how to drive in the snow, and there's no fun in all of that defensive driving.
I am wondering how many of you will be driving your cars in thru winter? I plan on driving mine but I worry about the salt they use on the roads. I use this stuff called waxoyl on my rovers to keep rust away. I plan on using waxoyl on the underbody of my coupe to help protect it against the negative effects of salt from the roads. Does anyone else use anything to help protect your new car?

Old 11-21-2011 | 11:43 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cred
I am wondering how many of you will be driving your cars in thru winter? I plan on driving mine but I worry about the salt they use on the roads. I use this stuff called waxoyl on my rovers to keep rust away. I plan on using waxoyl on the underbody of my coupe to help protect it against the negative effects of salt from the roads. Does anyone else use anything to help protect your new car?
I have a pressure washer at home and use it for the undercarriage. Granted we have very little snow here but of late they are using chemicals to melt frost and ice on the road. When it snows (not very often) they use a salt combo of some type. I just use my pressure washer to wash the under belly of the car. I have many coats of wax on the paint itself. I don't worry too much about the paint for that reason.

But keep in mind that we do not get much snow here. The exhaust should be SS but it's the other components to worry about.

Old 11-21-2011 | 01:06 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
I had someone recently ask on a MN forum about this, and basically all of the locals laughed at undercarriage coating. The only recommendation they had was power washing it out whenever the temperature allows, that any spray-on coating is going to be eaten away rather swiftly anyhow.

But I'll hesitate and say there's a really odd mentality about snow here. Like it's the biggest, baddest thing ever yet Minnesotans are tougher than anything and can survive its mighty hammer of doom. Of course no mere spray could conquer snow and salt...

Anyway, I'm just going to get it sprayed off regularly. I found a nice heated indoor wash open year-round that was gentle enough to the paint on my Mazda. Oh yeah, and they do an underbody spray coating as part of that wash as well

Old 11-21-2011 | 01:28 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I agree. Wash the undercarriage now and again and you should be good.

Old 11-22-2011 | 06:22 AM
cheekyfast
1st Gear
Hi PatM. Have you had any time to take some more photos of your beautiful new coupe. As I posted earlier, I am seriously considering your color combination (and black wheels) and would love to see more images. Also, why did you order the front strut brace - what does it do?

Thanks.

Craig

Old 11-22-2011 | 06:43 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cheekyfast
Hi PatM. Have you had any time to take some more photos of your beautiful new coupe. As I posted earlier, I am seriously considering your color combination (and black wheels) and would love to see more images. Also, why did you order the front strut brace - what does it do?

Thanks.

Craig
No I haven't yet but I will this weekend. I promise I will get some interior shots for you. The front brace stiffens the car even more so that when you take corners at speed it just keeps the front end from rolling and tweaking. I did not get the sport suspension because I do not intend to track my car and I like the day to day drive that the normal suspension offers. It's a much better ride than my 2009 was. By adding the strut brace it just gives me that little bit of extra stiffness and confidence when I do decide to honk around a corner.

We're having some real nasty weather this week lots of wind and rain so I have been driving my GTO which is good because it's given me a chance to really put some good coats of wax on the car. Brewester is beaming. I will get some pics this weekend.

I hope to get a break in the rain so I can pull it outside and get some really good pics for you.

Old 11-22-2011 | 06:45 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cheekyfast

Thanks.

Craig
Sent you a PM.

Pat

Old 11-22-2011 | 07:25 AM
cheekyfast
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
Sent you a PM.

Pat
Thanks so much Pat. Can't wait.

Craig

Old 11-22-2011 | 05:56 PM
lisemini
1st Gear
Just picked up my little Sweet Potato! The MINI gods have delivered again!! Photos tomorrow.

Old 11-22-2011 | 06:52 PM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
Very cool. I can already tell that the SO/S looks great.

Old 11-22-2011 | 08:35 PM
LTLMCPE
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
Very cool. I can already tell that the SO/S looks great.
I second that. IT really is a nice combination.

Congrats on the new delivery!

Old 11-23-2011 | 12:38 PM
Cred
4th Gear
My coupe is at the dealership. No photos yet.

Last edited by Cred; 11-23-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2011 | 12:49 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
Mine has been there since the 19th. Basically if it wasn't picked up by this past Monday, it was going to sit until after Thanksgiving. My MA was pretty blunt about the trucking situation -- they won't take a full truck home for Thanksgiving so their loads will be timed to leave them empty for Thursday.

So basically, you may be in my situation: not yet released to carrier because there is no carrier to pick it up. It's entirely possible that yours had 2-3 days in the VDC and since that time has been stranded. There's no way to verify this, but it's a logical explanation that keeps paranoia at bay.

Given your location, I would be endlessly amused if we ended up on the same truck.

Old 11-23-2011 | 01:34 PM
Cred
4th Gear
I'll ask if there was a LG coupe on the truck.

Old 11-23-2011 | 03:00 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Lisemini: nice color combo, is that available on an MCS? CR/S is available, but I don't know about orange.

Old 11-23-2011 | 07:46 PM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
My coupe is at the dealership. No photos yet.
That's great news. Yours is one of the Coupes that was nearly on the same schedule as mine but somehow lagged even more. I'll be happy for you when you finally get possession of it and look forward to your photos.

Old 11-23-2011 | 10:05 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
Mine has been there since the 19th. Basically if it wasn't picked up by this past Monday, it was going to sit until after Thanksgiving. My MA was pretty blunt about the trucking situation -- they won't take a full truck home for Thanksgiving so their loads will be timed to leave them empty for Thursday.

So basically, you may be in my situation: not yet released to carrier because there is no carrier to pick it up. It's entirely possible that yours had 2-3 days in the VDC and since that time has been stranded. There's no way to verify this, but it's a logical explanation that keeps paranoia at bay.

Given your location, I would be endlessly amused if we ended up on the same truck.
Good to hear the news cred! Not much longer now! My coupe hasnt made it to my dealer yet, and Baltimore is not that far from Pittsburgh. I must be the last stop on the return trip. Oh well. It hasn't been quite 2 months yet since I placed the order, So I guess I can't complain. Happy thanksgiving to everyone!

Old 11-23-2011 | 10:07 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lisemini
Just picked up my little Sweet Potato! The MINI gods have delivered again!! Photos tomorrow.
Sweet potato is beautiful!!

Old 11-24-2011 | 08:19 AM
giarmdok
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by giarmdok
Sign me up - just put my deposit down on an order - might be December before it goes into production - the long wait has started.

As the order currently stands:
Color
B23 Spice Orange Body Color
Packages
ZTP Technology Package
6NM MINI Connected
7L5 MINI Connected with Nav System
Options
2GC_2RV 16" 6-Star Spoke Black
314 Heated Mirrors & Washer Jets
345 Chrome Line Interior
383 Black Roof/Mirrors
3A2 Black Headlamp Housings
3A7 Black Sport Stripes
431 Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
494 Heated Front Seats
4BD Dash Surface in Piano Black
4C1 Carbon Black Color Line
522 Xenon Headlamps
5AA Rear Fog Lamp
5DT Dynamic Traction Control
785 White Turn Signals
ATE1 Cloth: Checkered Carbon Black/Black

So I ended up canceling my order and buying a Laguna Green off the lot - please update entry #39

Lagun Green Metallic
MINI Yours Soda Satellite Gray
MINI Yours Soda exterior pack (17" MINI Yours Wheels, MINI Yours Soda Mirror Caps)
Cold Weather Package
Preium Package
Technology Package with Mini Connected
Sport Suspension
MINI Yours Sport Leather Steering Wheel
Black Headlight Housings
MINI Yours Tattoo Soda stripes
John Cooper Works instrument dash
Xenon Headlights
White turn signals
All Season Tires

Last edited by giarmdok; 11-24-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2011 | 05:45 PM
Cred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
That's great news. Yours is one of the Coupes that was nearly on the same schedule as mine but somehow lagged even more. I'll be happy for you when you finally get possession of it and look forward to your photos.
I know mine really fell off the schedule. It's ok now that I know it only days away. Funny thing is I sent a text to the sales manager yesterday asking why the car wasn't here yet. He texted back saying it arrived 15 minutes prior to my text.
I'll post some photos when the car is in hand.

Old 11-24-2011 | 05:54 PM
Cred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 1classymini
Good to hear the news cred! Not much longer now! My coupe hasnt made it to my dealer yet, and Baltimore is not that far from Pittsburgh. I must be the last stop on the return trip. Oh well. It hasn't been quite 2 months yet since I placed the order, So I guess I can't complain. Happy thanksgiving to everyone!
Hopefully you will see it soon too. It's only been 11 weeks for me!

Old 11-24-2011 | 07:36 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
If I'm able to take delivery by 12/1, that's 9.5 weeks for me. Were all of us who ordered before October cursed in some way? I think I'm going to learn to be a procrastinator

Old 11-25-2011 | 12:31 AM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
Too bad about your wait. According to the OL mine is finished production and "awaiting transport". So I suppose I might get home before it does after all or it will be tight.

I think we need pix from giarmdok!

Quick Reply: R58 MINI Coupe Roll Call