R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 MINI Coupe Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011 | 06:11 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cheekyfast
Once again Pat - thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your help.
As I was following your posts after you ordered your new coupe, I believe that you had mentioned you were having a protective service done - Invisashield? Is this a spray applied at the dealer. What part of the car gets it and is it supposed to prevent chipping from stones? Does it work?

Thanks again and I promise not to bother you anymore - at least for a while.

Craig
NO worries Craig. I don't mind at all.

And I'm glad you asked. This is very important as far as I am concerned. It is made by 3M and it's a film. I have it installed on the complete front end. It goes about 1/2 back on the top of the bonnet as well. I also have it installed on the door edges and under the door handles. If you've ever had a car a long time you always notice what look like scratches under the door handles. It's from fingernails and hands and what not messing the paint up. With these installed that is a thing of the past. As well it's on the back of the car on the flat under the boot latch. This prevents damage from dropping things going into or out of the boot. Very handy stuff. It seems to last forever and has a lifetime warranty. My dealer did not install it and never has but they have a real good 3rd party that does it right down the street. I probably could have saved a few bucks having it done myself but I'm one for convenience and since the dealer had it all done If I have a problem I just have one place to go. It has a lifetime warranty against fade or damage. It protects against rocks and chips and keeps bug jerky and other assorted nasty things off the front of your car. It sometimes get marks in it but thats it ok it's not on the paint. I highly recommend it.

My wife has it on her car as well.

So there you go. Your dealer may do it themselves or have an outside shop do it like ours. I think the 3M brand is very good. There may be others out there but I do not know how good they are or what warranty they offer. I know 3M and trust the brand.

Anything else please give a shout out. (Stole that from the "Cash Cab". LOL)

Regards,

Pat

Old 11-29-2011 | 06:25 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
Looks like the truck got its part, got on its way, and dropped off my Mini with my dealer.

Got this photo fresh from the crappy-fluorescent-lit garage, awaiting stripes:

I can pick it up tomorrow evening, or pick it up on Thursday afternoon as originally planned. DECISIONS.

Old 11-29-2011 | 06:31 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Nice. You'll be motoring soon now!! Congratulations. Was that just about the longest wait for anything or what??

Nice car and it's going to look great!!

Old 11-29-2011 | 07:52 PM
Johnwes12
2nd Gear
This is Pepper (still working on the name, I have to meet him first to know for sure) should take delivery on or around Dec 20th. Ordered in September, this has been the longest wait of my life. But it'll be worth it. Lotsa gorgeous looking Coupes on here!!

Attached Thumbnails MINI Coupe Roll Call-my_mini_desktop-3-.jpg   MINI Coupe Roll Call-screen-shot-2011-11-29-at-7.42.20-pm.jpg   MINI Coupe Roll Call-screen-shot-2011-11-29-at-7.43.23-pm.jpg  
Old 11-29-2011 | 08:07 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Nice car. My wife's car is PW. She and I both like it a lot.

It's a great car you'll love it.

Old 11-29-2011 | 09:28 PM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Johnwes12
This is Pepper (still working on the name, I have to meet him first to know for sure) should take delivery on or around Dec 20th. Ordered in September, this has been the longest wait of my life. But it'll be worth it. Lotsa gorgeous looking Coupes on here!!
I added you to the list.

Old 11-29-2011 | 11:18 PM
cheekyfast
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
NO worries Craig. I don't mind at all.

And I'm glad you asked. This is very important as far as I am concerned. It is made by 3M and it's a film. I have it installed on the complete front end. It goes about 1/2 back on the top of the bonnet as well. I also have it installed on the door edges and under the door handles. If you've ever had a car a long time you always notice what look like scratches under the door handles. It's from fingernails and hands and what not messing the paint up. With these installed that is a thing of the past. As well it's on the back of the car on the flat under the boot latch. This prevents damage from dropping things going into or out of the boot. Very handy stuff. It seems to last forever and has a lifetime warranty. My dealer did not install it and never has but they have a real good 3rd party that does it right down the street. I probably could have saved a few bucks having it done myself but I'm one for convenience and since the dealer had it all done If I have a problem I just have one place to go. It has a lifetime warranty against fade or damage. It protects against rocks and chips and keeps bug jerky and other assorted nasty things off the front of your car. It sometimes get marks in it but thats it ok it's not on the paint. I highly recommend it.

My wife has it on her car as well.

So there you go. Your dealer may do it themselves or have an outside shop do it like ours. I think the 3M brand is very good. There may be others out there but I do not know how good they are or what warranty they offer. I know 3M and trust the brand.

Anything else please give a shout out. (Stole that from the "Cash Cab". LOL)

Regards,

Pat
As always Pat, you are the best!!

Thank you.

Craig

Old 11-30-2011 | 08:51 AM
Cred
4th Gear
I am happy to report that my eclipse gray/chilli red coupe is finally in my possession. This car is everything and more then I could have wanted.
I went with the black color line, JCW dash and the Carbon Punch Leather on the interior. The inside is on the tame and subtle side but suits me very well. The exterior knocks my socks off! The contrast between the eclipse gray and the chilli red is perfect.
The one thing I didn't like was I chose the adaptive zenon headlights so I was unable to get the black headlight housings. I felt that the darker headlight housings looked better on a darker cars like EG. My solution was 3M clearbra. I had 3M clearbra applied to the car prior to pick up (complete front including the whole hood, fogs and headlights). The headlights are smoked 3M film which gives a much more homogenous appearance to the front end. I choose not to use the smoked film on the fogs as I didn't feel it I am very happy with the results. I am looking forward to motoring this baby.

@ the dealership prior to completion of dealer prep

After the clearbra install.

Darkened lights but with the advantage of being adaptive zenons and protection against rock chips!

Old 11-30-2011 | 08:59 AM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
Excellent! Glad to finally see the Coupe in your driveway. I like the smoked headlights, probably better than the black ones with your EG paint. You should paint your garage like the MINI dealer's shop to match your MINI.

I really need to get some better photos of my Coupe.

Old 11-30-2011 | 09:32 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Holy Moly Cred! WOW! That car is perfection in my book! Congrats big time! I'm going to look into that 3M product very seriously now.

Old 11-30-2011 | 01:01 PM
wkp1219
3rd Gear
Nice color combo but that chrome has got to go!

Old 11-30-2011 | 01:11 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
KERMEE 4 gets home.

4 Months and 2 days after placing the order, KERMEE 4 got home last night. Even with driving through strong snow showers, dodging deer on the highway, it was a safe trip. But, the first thing that I did when we got home was put his Winter tires on so I don't go skating on the performance run flats. I am really going to enjoy this one!

Paul

Old 11-30-2011 | 01:36 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wkp1219
Would you have it wrapped? Painted? I ask since I may be looking into doing something along these lines. Your thoughts please.

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 11-30-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2011 | 02:03 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
This week looks like a gigantic pile of awesome Coupe deliveries.

Cred, much like everyone else... LOVE THE SMOKY. And so glad you could take delivery before me, you had enough waiting already.

Paulsminis, this is our first BRGII Coupe on the forums, is it not? I am loving it... I probably would have went that direction if LG wasn't on the table.

Old 11-30-2011 | 03:02 PM
Cred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wkp1219
Ha! That's the first thing my 11 year old son said. It will have to stay for a little while. Winter tires first.

Paul - Love the BRG. Looks fantastic.

Old 11-30-2011 | 06:00 PM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
Wow, that was a really long wait, Paul. I am liking the BRGII on the Coupe.

Old 12-01-2011 | 10:59 AM
MoxieRocket
2nd Gear
Smile

Hi everyone – I’m new here. After reading through the forums for a few days, I’ve learned that you all seem like a terrific bunch!

My deposit check cleared on November 9th. My MA tells me that my order is still in the Order Bank, so I don’t yet have a Production Number. He shared that my car should go into production around early January and should arrive in early February. I’m going to read that as perhaps mid-to-late February for sanity’s sake. (I’ve been researching vehicles since March, so a few extra months shouldn’t hurt.)

So… Here are the specs for my Moxie Rocket:

Model
Coupe S

Exterior
Pepper White Body Color (No stripes – I'm going for “understated,” if it’s possible with a Coupe)
Black Roof/Mirrors
Black Headlamp Housings
White Turn Signals

Interior
Leatherette: Carbon Black Sport Seats
Center Arm Rest
Carbon Black Color Line
Dash/Door Ring in Piano Black
Chrome Line Interior (PKG)

Packages
Premium

Performance
Automatic with Paddle Shifters (no manual: bad knees)

Wheels: 16” Star Spoke Black

Visibility
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror (PKG)
Rain Sensor/Auto Headlamps (PKG)
Xenon Headlamps

Instruments
Alarm System (PKG)
Comfort Access (PKG)
Mini Connected (no nav)
Auto AC (PKG)

I’m looking forward to February!

Last edited by MoxieRocket; 12-02-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-01-2011 | 04:38 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
the minty coupe has arrived

Took delivery this evening as planned! Lame phone pics, but pics just the same from the dealership floor:

Moment that kind of sums up everything: after driving home I got a limp-mode CEL. However it cleared on re-start... I live IMMEDIATELY off of an interstate off-ramp so going from 70 to 10 in my garage probably didn't fill it with glee on its first-ever trip. Plus I'm still learning how heavy I need to hit the gas... you breathe on a Mazda pedal and it flies, but the Mini has a lot more depth. I'm trying to find that balance between "uhh, needs more gas" and "are you trying to escape a pack of wolves, yeesh!" I kind of felt like an idiot trying to get that down.

One more story for y'all...

There's an auto shop here locally that specializes in Euro exotics... I've seen some nice Ferraris and such while walking past their lot. They had a Groupon for detailing, but it was all way more than I would ever need (I like doing my own work), so I emailed them to ask just about paint sealing/winterizing the exterior. They called me back today saying, "we're booked up through the end of the month, but you have a European car so you get first priority. Can you come in today or tomorrow?" So that's what I'm doing tomorrow afternoon

Old 12-01-2011 | 05:19 PM
1classymini
1st Gear
Beautiful!!

Isn't the laguna so much better in person??
I picked up mine on Tuesday and can't get over how great the color is. I keep going down to the garage to get another peek. No decent pics yet cuz it's been dark every chance I've had to take some. I certainly hope your engine issue was a fluke. Congratulations!! I'm looking forward to hearing what the detailers think of your car.

Old 12-01-2011 | 05:52 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
It is ungodly awesome in person. That was pretty much the first thing I said when I saw the car.

It's looking quite a bit like a fluke. Second drive on city streets, it didn't come back. Third drive with my husband on the Interstate including the words, "now this is what turbo feels like," and no CEL. Although this definitely makes me raise the priority of a code reader on my Amazon Wish List this year!

Old 12-02-2011 | 12:42 AM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
yay! congrats. Hoping to meet mine soon. Did you not want the stripes all the way down the bumper or is that all they would do for you? I asked my MA to have the stripes all the way down like we saw on the example pic here several weeks ago and he told me he would pass it along to the shop.

Old 12-02-2011 | 04:12 AM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
Yeah, I did want them down the bumper but that's pretty much all they would do. I'm sure if I pressed harder I would've gotten them but it wasn't that big of a deal to me. It was a bigger deal that they totally lowballed me on my trade-in but I got my way on THAT one

Old 12-02-2011 | 05:56 AM
giarmdok
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gloomchen
It is ungodly awesome in person. That was pretty much the first thing I said when I saw the car.

It is way better looking in person - I certainly fell in love with it and got one as soon as I saw it

Grats on gettings yours! Nice to see some more Laguna Green around

Old 12-03-2011 | 11:54 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gloomchen
Moment that kind of sums up everything: after driving home I got a limp-mode CEL. However it cleared on re-start... I live IMMEDIATELY off of an interstate off-ramp so going from 70 to 10 in my garage probably didn't fill it with glee on its first-ever trip. Plus I'm still learning how heavy I need to hit the gas... you breathe on a Mazda pedal and it flies, but the Mini has a lot more depth.
Congrats on taking delivery! Beautiful Coupé! (Aren't they all)

A couple of things... first, don't know if you are very familiar with turbochargers, but if you slow from 70 to 10 coming off the interstate & then park, be sure to let that engine run for 30-60 seconds to let the cooling system work on the turbo. If you have a nice, slow 25 mph drive thru a subdivision before you park, then you're probably fine without the cool-down procedure.

Second, I'd ask the dealer to read, document, and clear that engine code. Just in case it crops up again. They ought to be willing to do that gratis, and it only takes 5 minutes.

Finally, I came into the Coupé from a Mazdaspeed3 (as did PezRadar, and we both formerly had MINIs). Curious to know which model Mazda you were driving. I've found the throttle (and clutch) feel of the Coupé to be much easier to adapt to than the Speed3- that car took some finesse, even after driving it for 3 years/60k+ miles.

Old 12-03-2011 | 12:03 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
Good note about letting it run a bit after the highway. I live in downtown Minneapolis, and quite literally I take an exit and the first right into my driveway. Not even 500 ft off the exit. What had happened on the first drive home is that I rolled up into my driveway and put it in park (still running) while I searched for my garage door opener. 30 seconds later I looked up to open the garage door to see the CEL. So do you think it would be easier on the turbo if I at least took it around the block first? Because that's very doable.

I was driving an auto 2007 Mazda 3, before that a 2004. So it's not a clutch thing for me at all, but the difference in the accelerator. The 3's gas pedal, you breathe on it and you're off and running. Breathe slightly harder, you're REALLY running. Press halfway down and it will downshift to pass. The Mini, like most sane vehicles, does not have that same behavior. And after 6 years of driving with a super-sensitive gas pedal, it's almost funny how hard it is for me to gauge just how hard I need to press on the accelerator. I'll get used to it but it's not anything I ever thought about.

Quick Reply: R58 MINI Coupe Roll Call