R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Just Placed My Order

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011 | 11:08 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
BTW, week 36 starts next Sunday so a lot of our Coupes should start seeing status updates in the OL (or via 1-866-ASK-MINI) real soon. I still don't have a clue as to what my production week is. All I know is that my MA said that I have a September production slot. I'm hoping for an October delivery in So Cal.

@tcassa, Congrats on your Coupe S order. Welcome to the club.

Old 08-30-2011 | 11:10 AM
PatM
|
6th Gear
Easy now everyone. It's ok. My MA came across like this was just new information and that the build was supposed to be earlier than what he just told me. He used the word "pushed" to week 36. I never knew the actual build week from my MA this is the first time he mentioned it. (I didn't ask either since I figured it will take forever anyway. Having been through this twice before I thought it would be a piece of cake but I was wrong.)

So no worries everything is just fine.

Hey Office Maven why wouldn't you just use your car for trade bait if you don't sell it yourself. Surly you would get more from the dealer than you would get at Auction. That seems like the last resort.

Old 08-30-2011 | 11:20 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Hi Pat,

Whew. That's a relief. From my understanding, Coupe production actually began in August, but all of those cars were pre-configured by MINI and slated to be distributed to the dealers to be used as showroom and demo cars. Week 36 is indeed the magic number for our customer-configured cars with the "official" release date for the Coupe being October 1 (at least in the U.S. anyway).

I may ask my MA for a trade-in value for our 07 MINI when the time comes (if we still haven't sold it). However, past experience shows that our dealership comes in on the low side (way low) when it comes to trades. I'd actually rather see the thing go at auction then to see it appear on our dealer's lot for thousands and thousands more than they gave us for it. Out of sight, out of mind (and not left feeling screwed over by the dealership if you get my drift).

Old 08-30-2011 | 11:31 AM
PatM
|
6th Gear
Fair enough. And i know exactly what you mean. I'm hoping I can sell mine at the retail sell price. If not the dealer will get it but I don't care if I see it or not. They have several Chile Red ones so it will be camouflaged. LOL

Old 08-30-2011 | 12:55 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Officemaven: How much are you asking for your 07 (just curious) and how much was it new?

Old 08-30-2011 | 01:25 PM
jbs111
4th Gear
@OfficeMaven. You could also try Carmax. We have sold a couple of cars (Audi TT and Toyota Camry) at the Irvine location and have gotten a little more than the dealer trade in. Easy process.

Yes could sell on your own and get more, but then you have to deal with all the gawkers. Then if something happens after the sale, they know where you live.

Old 08-30-2011 | 01:54 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@TheBigNewt,

You can find all that info in my Marketplace ad here:

2007 MINI Cooper S

@jbs111,

Thanks for the great idea. The Irvine Carmax location is just down the street from us. So how does Carmax work? You just drive up, they look at your car (run the VIN, etc.), and then offer you cash for it?

Old 08-30-2011 | 02:03 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
They're gonna want to sell it for about $20k and change if it's a nice car (which it looks like it is). So figure they'll want to give you maybe $15K tops and try for less. That way they can fudge for letting it sit on the lot, insuring it, commisions, etc.

Old 08-30-2011 | 02:03 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
I was the first order at my dealership and was given a week 40 build timeframe. Why it isn't week 36 and why I still don't have a production number, I don't know. They said it's because I ordered a JCW Coupe, but many of you did too and have week 36 build dates. Argh. There's no reason we shouldn't have our Coupes for the October 1st launch date.

Old 08-30-2011 | 02:06 PM
jbs111
4th Gear
@OfficeMaven

Exactly. Simply drive in and let the reception folks know you are there to get your car valued. The first time I did this, the process took about 2 hours. The last time I did this a few weeks ago took about 45 mins. They give you an offer to which you have 7 days to make up your mind. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what to expect from the dealer and serves as another point of negotiation.

Old 08-30-2011 | 02:14 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@TheBigNewt,

Yeah, that's why I'm only asking $18k for it. I'm hoping that someone will pick it up at a deal from me. That way we both win. It's a pretty cherry MCS so it's kind of a shame to take such a big loss on it after only 4 years. Ah well, that's what cars do I suppose.

@jamesday24,

According to my MA, each dealership was given only a very limited number of production slots for September (like three or so). October production starts in week 40 and there are probably more production slots available for October. It is possible that MINI still hasn't allocated the October production slots yet and that's why you haven't received one.

If I had to guess, I'd say that your dealership received their September production slot(s) for the JCW Coupe (even if only one), and that they either sold it at a premium, or an employee (sales manager, MA, etc.) got first dibs on it. I seriously doubt they didn't get at least one September production slot for a JCW Coupe (unless they're simply a very small volume dealership or a really new one). Sorry for your woes, but if you're happy with the deal you got, I'd just stick with it. The time will go by quickly and you'll be driving your JCW Coupe before you know it.

Old 08-30-2011 | 02:23 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@jbs111,

Excellent! Thanks for the 411 on Carmax. I'll definitely give them a shot.

Old 09-02-2011 | 06:17 PM
jbs111
4th Gear
Got bad news from my MA this afternoon. Apparently all vehicles with Mini Connected and/or Nav systems have been delayed due to availability of components. Apparently, they are still facing supply issues from the tsunami in Japan.

I got delayed from week 36 to week 39. Hope needed components become available by then. No.......no more delays :-(