R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Coupe live and in person - oh boy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesday24
My Coupe is listed on the dealership's inventory/order bank, but with no production number shown. I might call MINI USA soon if I don't have one this week.
Dumb question - How do you know that it is in their order bank?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyamfier
The title of this thread made me think of this.
How can I make my Coupe look like the deathmobile? Oh wait it already does.
That scene popped into my head too.

Hey Jim, what are your plans for the teardrop once you make the transition to the Coupe?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy
Dumb question - How do you know that it is in their order bank?
It shows up on their printed inventory/order bank sheet:

Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
It shows up on their printed inventory/order bank sheet:

Which I didn't get... Now I understand. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Hey Jim, what are your plans for the teardrop once you make the transition to the Coupe?
I have spoke with Russel at MINI-FINI about putting a hitch on the Coupe but I just may have to keep my R53 and not put a hitch on the Coupe. Still up in the air. Or if someone made an offer on the Dragon Wagon that I could not resist that could solve the problem as well.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM
orange33
2nd Gear
My dealer got a coupe for 2 days, a red one. I sat in it and a sales person drove it slightly as it was upstairs. I liked it. I first wanted the roadster but it costs more, your insurance goes up, and if you drive over 50 mph with the top down, it badly affects your hearing. So I decided to go with the coupe. ski

Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orange33
My dealer got a coupe for 2 days, a red one. I sat in it and a sales person drove it slightly as it was upstairs. I liked it. I first wanted the roadster but it costs more, your insurance goes up, and if you drive over 50 mph with the top down, it badly affects your hearing. So I decided to go with the coupe. ski
Not sure about any of that but I do know that it rains way too much in the Northwest for me to want the roadster. It's the same reason I won't own any rag top or roadster from any other Mfg. We get about 62 days a year of fair weather, IE no clouds. The rest of the time consists of clouds, rain, drizzle, mist etc etc. Makes no sense in my mind to have a car like that.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 PM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
Not sure about any of that but I do know that it rains way too much in the Northwest for me to want the roadster. It's the same reason I won't own any rag top or roadster from any other Mfg. We get about 62 days a year of fair weather, IE no clouds. The rest of the time consists of clouds, rain, drizzle, mist etc etc. Makes no sense in my mind to have a car like that.
I guess I will stop complaining about Ohio weather then...

Old 08-27-2011, 12:38 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bakesonaplane
I guess I will stop complaining about Ohio weather then...
Yea it sucks. But we have very mild winters unlike Ohio. Our average low in the winter is 40 and in the summer our average high is 75 with low humidity. As well I live in the foothills of Mt. Rainier. A small mountain of 14,410 feet or so. With great roads for driving Mini's. We also have some of the best skiing in the country. This past season the skiing lasted until July. We have the Cascade and Olympic mountains and the only temperate rain forest in the world. It's called the Ho Rain forest on the coast. We have some of the best fishing and hunting anywhere. So while our weather isn't the best overall it's a place that I will never leave. I was raised and grew up in West Seattle. I've lived in LA, the Bay area, Toronto, North Dakota, Phoenix, West Virginia and last but not least Spokane Washington. Which unlike the western part of the state where I live is just the opposite. It is flat without mountains and is very hot but dry in the summer but gets cold and snowy winters. I remember a few years ago they got dumped on. Like 5 feet of snow in about 4 big storms. Actually kind of unusual for THAT much snow.
Anyway, sorry the long post. Kind of bored, the wife works swing on Fridays and I kinda like to stay up until she gets home. Washington is a great place to live. We have webbed feet here and like to paint a bad picture so that we can keep others out. (We haven't been too successful thus far. There's more damn Californians here than Carter has little liver pills.LOL)

Regards,

Pat

Old 08-27-2011, 07:27 AM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
Yea it sucks. But we have very mild winters unlike Ohio. Our average low in the winter is 40 and in the summer our average high is 75 with low humidity. As well I live in the foothills of Mt. Rainier. A small mountain of 14,410 feet or so. With great roads for driving Mini's. We also have some of the best skiing in the country. This past season the skiing lasted until July. We have the Cascade and Olympic mountains and the only temperate rain forest in the world. It's called the Ho Rain forest on the coast. We have some of the best fishing and hunting anywhere. So while our weather isn't the best overall it's a place that I will never leave. I was raised and grew up in West Seattle. I've lived in LA, the Bay area, Toronto, North Dakota, Phoenix, West Virginia and last but not least Spokane Washington. Which unlike the western part of the state where I live is just the opposite. It is flat without mountains and is very hot but dry in the summer but gets cold and snowy winters. I remember a few years ago they got dumped on. Like 5 feet of snow in about 4 big storms. Actually kind of unusual for THAT much snow.
Anyway, sorry the long post. Kind of bored, the wife works swing on Fridays and I kinda like to stay up until she gets home. Washington is a great place to live. We have webbed feet here and like to paint a bad picture so that we can keep others out. (We haven't been too successful thus far. There's more damn Californians here than Carter has little liver pills.LOL)

Regards,

Pat
...So I should keep complaining?

Although, currently it is 70's and sunny with a nice breeze in central ohio. And of course, we aren't in the path of Irene. I hope anyone on here who is, is safe and out of harms way. I know I have family out in NYC and this is going to be a potentially terrible time for them.

So I can't complain too much

Old 08-27-2011, 07:40 AM
k9oz
2nd Gear
I was ready to order Coupe but took wife to see it live last night in Naperville. Her comment was "what is the point." Bummer. I guess no coupe in short term future, but I loved it.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 AM
artguy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by k9oz
I was ready to order Coupe but took wife to see it live last night in Naperville. Her comment was "what is the point." Bummer. I guess no coupe in short term future, but I loved it.
Well that's a bummer, man! I thank my lucky stars my wife is the one who said "that thing rocks!" when I showed her the concept pictures last year. She says it reminds her of her original MR2 from the 80's. Hey whatever works. All I know is that my coupe will be here in October, and I'm going to take her out for dinner anywhere she wants to go!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
My girlfriend encouraged me to get the JCW and might be more excited about it than I am.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My MINI dealer, MINI of Stevens Creek, sent me an email to come see the Coupe, so we did. They just had the one, sitting out front and you could go sit in it. The MA said it'd be there today and tomorrow.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:46 PM
orange33
2nd Gear
Did you like the coupe? I liked it better seeing it in person than on the web.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:59 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
My MINI dealer, MINI of Stevens Creek, sent me an email to come see the Coupe, so we did. They just had the one, sitting out front and you could go sit in it. The MA said it'd be there today and tomorrow.
So are you going to sit in it? Do it do it. We need to know more. Plllease go and check it out and let us know what you think!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:02 PM
orange33
2nd Gear
I did that over a month ago at my dealer. I loved the car. So I have ordered it but not in production yet. ski

Old 09-04-2011, 04:24 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I did that over a month ago at my dealer. I loved the car. So I have ordered it but not in production yet. ski
Oh sorry missed u on the roll call! I would have to do it again. Hopefully well all get some production dates soon. MOTOR ON!!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:32 PM
orange33
2nd Gear
I sure hope so. ski

Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 PM
micron
1st Gear
Yessireee I can't wait. I wish it were on the boat now. Has anyone sat or driven the 370Z car? That car has horrible visibility. I was wondering how the two cars compare in this regard?

Not that it matters cause I'll love the car regardless. Just curious.

Regards,

Pat
I honestly had more issues with rear visibility when I test drove my MCs than I did with my 370z. I don't understand all the complaints about the 370z rear visibility *shrugs* Maybe i'm just used to it or something.

Last edited by micron; 09-04-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 PM
PatM
6th Gear
My problem in the Z was the rear view mirror and the A pillars. The rear view mirror appeared as though I were looking through a 4 inch X 4 inch little window. I didn't like it at all. In addition physically looking to the right only indicated a large blind spot. I didn't like it at all.

Now I only took a test drive for about 20 minutes and that is not enough time to learn the idiosyncrasies of the car. I'm sure as one drives it they get used to it rather quickly. I would imagine that would happen to me as well.

I've heard conflicting things about the Coupe. Some folks said the rear view mirror view was very small and another said it wasn't bad. Others say the A pillars create larger than normal blind spots. Whatever the case I will get used to it. I will put up with small things like that.

Had I not had as much interest in the Mini that I did I still would have bought the Z car. I liked it enough and those issues were not enough to prevent me from buying it. I really liked the rev matching feature. I thought that was pretty slick and it worked very well.

Pat

Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 PM
orange33
2nd Gear
I can hardly wait too. I check everyday and it is still not in production. ski

Old 09-04-2011, 06:58 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
No productions week for me yet... Kinda bummed :(

Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM
PatM
6th Gear
arggggggggggggg

Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a production week. Week 38. Which was just changed to Week 39 this week due to MINI Connected delay issues.

I can hardly wait too. I check everyday and it is still not in production. ski
Hey Orange - Where did you order yours from in Dallas? I ordered mine at MINI of Plano (New dealership that opened 4 months ago). It is the one owned by Sewell. Apparently I'm the only one on order at this dealership. I put in the order a month ago and still no one else has ordered.

Quick Reply: R58 Coupe live and in person - oh boy!