R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Coupe live and in person - oh boy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:48 AM
artguy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Coupe live and in person - oh boy!

Went up to MINI of Peabody Thursday to see the traveling coupe. I can say without the slightest hesitation that those who have ordered one are going to be very, very happy!

It had just arrived when we pulled in, and was at the spa getting spruced up. This was an S in red with silver roof. They brought it around to a spot in the showroom, and man did it look good. I can only echo what others have said - when you see it "for real" it looks a bazillion times better than in pictures. We poked at it, opened doors, hatches, hidden compartments etc. It will most definitely take some getting used to with the narrow side windows and teeny little spot to look out the back window, but I'm ready for some on the road training!

The only comparison I can make after sitting in it is one of being in a small jet cockpit. It definitely is like sitting in a MINI, but it has this suck you in, James Bond Aston Martin vibe. Headroom was fine, rear boot space looks to be quite useful, and the HK stereo sounds REALLY good!

So keep checking that owners lounge status, get the shipping site bookmarked to follow the boat, and start making your ipod/iphone/CD playlists. We're going to be in for a lot of fun in a little while!

Kurt

Old 08-20-2011, 07:15 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am waiting for the roadster

Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the write-up, Kurt. Glad to hear you saying how great to Coupe looks in person. I think I'm going to be the last person, especially the last future owner, to see one.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it on the floor at Universal City MINI and it was really sweet! It actually has the same interior as mine!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Originally Posted by jamesday24
I think I'm going to be the last person, especially the last future owner, to see one.
I am sure you will see one before me way out here in the plains.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:50 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
I still have no production number. A MINI Cooper S Coupe ordered after mine already does, so I don't think I will get the first one from my dealer even though I placed the first order.

There's a demo Coupe traveling around the Florida dealers, but haven't heard whether it's coming to Orlando. Might not see one until they get their three demos late this month or early September.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:54 AM
JenK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ngweibing
i am waiting for the roadster
me, too!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 AM
artguy
2nd Gear

Here's the one we checked out Thursday!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Nicr ride

Yessireee I can't wait. I wish it were on the boat now. Has anyone sat or driven the 370Z car? That car has horrible visibility. I was wondering how the two cars compare in this regard?

Not that it matters cause I'll love the car regardless. Just curious.

Regards,

Pat

Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 AM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
I have actually driven the new Coupe. I work for BMW/Mini, and we got special access to a new JCW Mini Coupe. It's...well...fantastic. Quicker than a normal JCW, but as you can imagine, much smaller feeling. Since there are no back seats, you don't really have that space behind you (as small as it may be) that you have in the normal hatchback design. It still had the typical mini feel to it, but felt a little more sporty. As for me...I'm big into the R56 body style, so that's what I went ahead and ordered. But if you're looking for a small sporty 2 seater, nothing beats the new coupe.

As for visibility PatM...it's hard to see out of the back window. You can't seem to see traffic if it's a decent distance behind you out of the rearview mirror due to the wing on the top of the top coming down into your line of sight. But you can look into the side mirrors and see the traffic from there.

It's an absolute ball to drive.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
I haven't drive it, but I did sit in the one they had the dealer for a day or two. I would agree about the "fighter cockpit" statement. Definitely feels smaller inside (and as we all know the R56 is a Tardis inside), but that does't hamper the feel of the car.

It is an impressive car in person. I love the R56 (Cooper S owner), but the Coupe doesn't feel like it lost any that... Style.

Since I have ordered the Coupe, I am now an official two MINI family.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 PM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy
I haven't drive it, but I did sit in the one they had the dealer for a day or two. I would agree about the "fighter cockpit" statement. Definitely feels smaller inside (and as we all know the R56 is a Tardis inside), but that does't hamper the feel of the car.

It is an impressive car in person. I love the R56 (Cooper S owner), but the Coupe doesn't feel like it lost any that... Style.

Since I have ordered the Coupe, I am now an official two MINI family.
Congrats! You will definitely not be disappointed in the Coupe. Like I said, same classic Mini styling, sportier look and feel. Feels great driving it. Would love to see some pictures of it when you get it in!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:20 PM
napolean2424
2nd Gear
We also got to hands-on the new coupe here in Ft Myers Fl. today (showroom only), and wife & I both agreed it looks much better in person, if that's possible! Our MA said that he'd driven it around a lot, and that even though it was a base car, there was plenty of power, and that the "S" would be awesome, and the JCWs' motor would get you in trouble, and that's a quote from a guy that never gets off the loud peddle! All in all, it's irresistible!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by napolean2424
and the JCWs' motor would get you in trouble, and that's a quote from a guy that never gets off the loud peddle! All in all, it's irresistible!
I will agree. It's definitely fast enough to get you in trouble. The blow off valve and the exhaust make the trouble worth it though just don't get caught! The JCW Coupe is quite the experience. If you ever get the chance to take one out, be careful...you might be ordering one soon after

Old 08-21-2011, 05:30 PM
artguy
2nd Gear
lucky, lucky, lucky!

Originally Posted by bakesonaplane
I have actually driven the new Coupe. I work for BMW/Mini, and we got special access to a new JCW Mini Coupe. It's...well...fantastic. Quicker than a normal JCW, but as you can imagine, much smaller feeling. Since there are no back seats, you don't really have that space behind you (as small as it may be) that you have in the normal hatchback design. It still had the typical mini feel to it, but felt a little more sporty. As for me...I'm big into the R56 body style, so that's what I went ahead and ordered. But if you're looking for a small sporty 2 seater, nothing beats the new coupe.

As for visibility PatM...it's hard to see out of the back window. You can't seem to see traffic if it's a decent distance behind you out of the rearview mirror due to the wing on the top of the top coming down into your line of sight. But you can look into the side mirrors and see the traffic from there.

It's an absolute ball to drive.
Great. Now it's going to be even HARDER to wait until mine gets built!!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:33 PM
artguy
2nd Gear
wow!

Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy
I haven't drive it, but I did sit in the one they had the dealer for a day or two.
Wow. I only got to sit in it for about ten minutes! :-)

Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
artguy
2nd Gear
I am hopeful that the MINI gods will smile on me and my car will actually make week 36 production as my MA believes. This makes MINI number 5 for us. My current dark silver Cooper S will be going to someone new in a short while, but we are hanging onto my wife's '06 Cooper. Her car was a show car - so it's a weird amalgam of high end stuff usually found on an S - but on a liquid yellow cooper. I've been driving hers for the past few weeks to make the switch to the coupe even more awesome!! ;-)

Old 08-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
The title of this thread made me think of this.
How can I make my Coupe look like the deathmobile? Oh wait it already does.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:52 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I gotta quite reading this thread. It's killing me. I am really, really getting anxious. I actually went and bought some new car care goodies even though I have a garage full. I needed new stuff for the Coupe. Oh man.

I just can't wait.

Hey artguy when did you put your order in? I'm trying to deduce what build week I would be. I have refrained from bugging my MA simple because it has not been that long since I ordered.

Pat

Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 PM
artguy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
I gotta quite reading this thread. It's killing me. I am really, really getting anxious. I actually went and bought some new car care goodies even though I have a garage full. I needed new stuff for the Coupe. Oh man.

I just can't wait.

Hey artguy when did you put your order in? I'm trying to deduce what build week I would be. I have refrained from bugging my MA simple because it has not been that long since I ordered.

Pat
Hey Pat!

I placed the order with my MA July 19. It was accepted and I got an order number a short while later. My production number is 3629927 if that helps you out. MA figures week 36 or 37 at the latest. That would appear to be 2nd or 3rd week of September??

Then a few weeks on the boat etc.. Since I'm in Massachusetts it should hop over the pond pretty quickly! And yes I too have begun collecting little bits. I even started my Coupe Playlist for the inaugural drive!!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Thanks Artguy,
Looks like it may be awhile for me. Not sure how they stage these but my production number is 3630835. I ordered with my MA on 8-14 but they did not get the order in until 8-18. I got the production number the same day. The difference between our numbers is 908. I have to think they can build 908 cars pretty quickly. Not sure how they set up the S, JCW etc lines though. I guess I will calculate a couple weeks after you.

Sound good? What do the experts think? Do we have any bets on this? September 19 or 26???? Or am I out to lunch. And the 3 week boat ride to California stinks to boot!

Thanks for the info.

Pat

Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
I'm STILL waiting for my production number for a week 40 build.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
I'm STILL waiting for my production number for a week 40 build.
Kind of weird that you have not got your number yet. Have you bugged your MA, called Mini customer service etc. just to verify that all is ok? Just seems weird that you don't have it yet.

How can they give you a production week without a number? I don't know much about building cars but it just seems strange don't you think?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:29 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
My Coupe is listed on the dealership's inventory/order bank, but with no production number shown. I might call MINI USA soon if I don't have one this week.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Yea, I think I would call your MA and Mini and see what's up. I think it's very unusual that you do not have a production number by now. At least my experience has been you get those pretty quick. Something could be amiss.

Let us know what you find.

Pat

Quick Reply: R58 Coupe live and in person - oh boy!