R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 How Often Is Your Spoiler Going To Be Up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011 | 06:39 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
The fixed JCW rear spoiler "gives the car even less rear lift" which is MF's stupid way of saying that it provides more down-force, and thus works better than the standard pop-up spoiler. Perhaps when a dealer installs it, they remove the mechanism that raises/lowers the standard spoiler, saving some weight. All my German brochure says is [translated] "The striking rear spoiler contributes to improved aerodynamics.".

Here's a scan of the brochure (which is what MF had):

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:02 PM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
There is a big difference between less lift and downforce, they are not the same.

Originally Posted by jamesday24
The fixed JCW rear spoiler "gives the car even less rear lift" which is MF's stupid way of saying that it provides more down-force, and thus works better than the standard pop-up spoiler. Perhaps when a dealer installs it, they remove the mechanism that raises/lowers the standard spoiler, saving some weight. All my German brochure says is [translated] "The striking rear spoiler contributes to improved aerodynamics.".

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:03 PM
PatM
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ATCQL
Because i think it may give the rear of the car a different look. I have not seen the car except for pictures,and am not jumping for joy on the apperance,however i like how the JCW Spoiler changes the rear end.Just noticed you have a Chili Red Coup on order,what color is your roof?Q
The top is Black. So the stripes are black on the car and red on the roof. I think it looks pretty good. If you go to post 7 on the below thread and you can open a thumbnail of what the car will look like and it has the build on the page also I think.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...roll-call.html

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:09 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
It doesn't appear that the red stripes would be carried over onto the fixed JCW spoiler, but hard to tell.

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:38 PM
PatM
|
6th Gear
Yea, I think your right. There on the top and end at the end of the baseball cap bill if you will. They then continue at the top of the very back of the car down the flat side. If you know what i mean. At least that's what it looks like. It appears to me the spoiler itself is the body color.

I'm ok with that.

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:49 PM
PatM
|
6th Gear

I think I understand exactly what your saying. (Hard to believe.) I don't think that the product would interest me even if it does provide for more aerodynamic downforce. I don't plan on tracking my car but maybe a couple times just to see how she runs. So unless your a real track fanatic I don't know that I would need it and frankly I wouldn't want to bolt that thing on the car. It detracts from the resale value in my opinion. (Just a guess on my part I'm not actually sure.) And I would rather keep it stock anyway. I haven't modded either of our cars except for wheels and tires.

But I suppose there is a market out there if it really does add more of what the car needs in race format. I don't know too many freeways where you can do 130 or 140 mph.

I gotta think that it will be pretty doggone expensive as well.

Old 08-29-2011 | 08:56 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
As a JCW accessory, it would be considered a "stock" part. This spoiler might actually look better than the pop-up spoiler with its thin-looking mechanicals. I'd have to see it in person to decide. I wonder if it will be carbon fiber.

My 2004 JCW MINI Cooper is completely stock as well, and my Coupe will remain stock.

Old 08-29-2011 | 11:15 PM
PatM
|
6th Gear
All good questions. I suppose the information will be out soon.

Old 08-30-2011 | 05:28 AM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
I think the stock retracting spoiler looks pretty good as it is...plus the fact that it can go up and down is a cool feature that only high end cars tend to have. Also, you can flip a switch on the headboard controls that leaves it up at all times if you want.

PatM...I think the CR/MB with the sport stripes looks fantastic. Good choice

Old 11-21-2012 | 07:01 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
That's unique if it's available in the US.

I'm trying to understand why someone would do that? What is the advantage? Wouldn't that simply just add weight? Seems also that you would have to have some programming to disable the pop up spoiler and or connect into the wiring harness somewhere which would then tell the pop up that the bolt on was there?
I think the answer is in a post I saw here on one of the forums that I will try to loosely paraphrase. "A MINI enthusiast is somebody who buys a brand new MINI and thern proceeds to try to replace every possible part on the car." I recently read another post from someone who is buying a fairly loaded JCW Countryman (read $40k+) and plans to mod it to the tune of maybe another $15k. Too much for my budget.

Old 11-26-2012 | 08:53 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
That was me.

Old 11-26-2012 | 11:04 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
The other reason is that the fixed spoiler is not offered as an option from the factory. i.e. If you like the look of the fixed spoiler, you have to do it in addition to the cost of the stock vehicle...like I did.

Old 11-26-2012 | 12:59 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
The fixed spoiler looks substantial, assertive, and we like the way it compliments the rear of the Coupe, when seen in person. I'm willing to bet that if they offered it as a factory option and had some in the dealerships for people to see, it would be a popular option, just like upgraded wheels and interiors. Our dealership hardly knew what the heck we were talking about when we wanted to order it, and it took some photos and the help of a MINI parts guy to get it all figured out. So we are having it installed when the Coupe comes in, right at the dealership. Turns out that the port is not set up to do that yet. Because it will be installed at the dealership, it will all be covered under warranty, and they will also hand us the factory mechanical one to keep in case we ever want it. We're following the path that MarinePMI blazed, because we have seen his and once we saw it, we knew that we wanted it. :-) Yes, it's pricey, but it is another option that everyone can make up their own mind about.

Old 11-29-2012 | 07:06 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
This. I wish I had to option to have it installed at delivery but it wasn't available yet.

What color will your spoiler be? Please post photos when it get it.

Old 11-29-2012 | 08:40 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JoanieB
The fixed spoiler looks substantial, assertive, and we like the way it compliments the rear of the Coupe, when seen in person. I'm willing to bet that if they offered it as a factory option and had some in the dealerships for people to see, it would be a popular option, just like upgraded wheels and interiors. Our dealership hardly knew what the heck we were talking about when we wanted to order it, and it took some photos and the help of a MINI parts guy to get it all figured out. So we are having it installed when the Coupe comes in, right at the dealership. Turns out that the port is not set up to do that yet. Because it will be installed at the dealership, it will all be covered under warranty, and they will also hand us the factory mechanical one to keep in case we ever want it. We're following the path that MarinePMI blazed, because we have seen his and once we saw it, we knew that we wanted it. :-) Yes, it's pricey, but it is another option that everyone can make up their own mind about.
Nine more days, eh Joanie? Can hardly wait to see Jasper (and you & Craig of course), at the next club Breakfast/Brunch.

Old 11-29-2012 | 07:15 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MarinePMI
Nine more days, eh Joanie? Can hardly wait to see Jasper (and you & Craig of course), at the next club Breakfast/Brunch.
The ship is at the Canal tonight, at a dock. Going through tomorrow? MA wants to know what color to paint the spoiler... body color on all but the very top, is that what you have, Tim? So that the top of the spoiler is like the roof of the car? Or is the whole spoiler, top and bottom, black and the sides and deck (flush with the boot) are body color?

We will have Jasper by the middle of Dec.

Old 11-30-2012 | 03:09 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
I had them paint the wing the roof color (black), and the base and towers match the body color (BRG in my case).

I can't remember, does Jasper have a black roof, or silver?

Mid-December? I bet Craig is getting excited! :D

Old 11-30-2012 | 07:00 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MarinePMI
I had them paint the wing the roof color (black), and the base and towers match the body color (BRG in my case).

I can't remember, does Jasper have a black roof, or silver?

Mid-December? I bet Craig is getting excited! :D
Thanks for the info, we will do the same, it looks sharp! Jasper is Lightning Blue/Black.

Craig is VERY excited. Jasper went through the Panama Canal at 2 am. I set up for email alerts but missed it anyway. LOL!

I have a feeling that we will be bringing Jasper to the runs for a while. I never thought that I would be co-pilot in a Coupe, after all that man said about how small Winnie is. What a difference a year makes!

Old 11-30-2012 | 07:11 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
This. I wish I had to option to have it installed at delivery but it wasn't available yet.

What color will your spoiler be? Please post photos when it get it.
As MarinePMI says above, the spoiler itself will be black, to match the roof. The base and towers are body colored to match the car.

Oh, there will be photos. There WILL be photos. Heck, I have more photos of my HT than I have of my children!

It's something to consider down the road, James, especially if the price comes down because they are being ordered. You can buy one right now from... Outmotoring I think? In primer. When I talked to the MINI parts guy, he said that 30 of them were available in stock. So they are expecting to need some for installations, on this coast.

So I guess the answer to the original question in this thread, "How often is your spoiler going to be up?" is... all the time.