R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 R58 not for the tall :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011 | 02:26 PM
CoopersGuy
|
2nd Gear
R58 not for the tall :(

I went to the Bill Jacobs preview of the R58 Friday and the first thing I have to say is, wow, what a beautiful car! I want one so badly! Second I must say, I will never buy this car. Upon entering the showroom the first thing I did was get into this work of automotive art when it happened, I clocked my head! I know that the seat was not adjusted to my liking so I adjusted it and got out, clonk, happened again. I tried to get in one more time and I had the same problem. I was aware that I would have to enter and exit this car a bit differently than my r52 or my old r53 but I never expected for ti to be so bad. I really did bring my head forward and my neck was in an uncomfortable position when getting in. This is NOT something I am comfortable living with so I will have to pass.

So you have reference I am 6'3" tall and have a fairly long torso. When I was in the car it did seem very claustrophobic and I think it is because the shape of the side glass and the fact that it is smaller and let's in less light. I did not spend too much time in the drivers seat so I did not have a chance to check rear visibility but a friend said it was better than his r52! I loved the trunk space that the car had, it was wonderful.

Oh well, it is too bad and I was told that the roadster is not that far off but I see having the same problem with it. You can't ALWAYS drive with the top down!

Old 08-28-2011 | 03:06 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Tall guys get enough breaks already, the least you can do is let us south-of-six-footers have some cool cars

Old 08-28-2011 | 03:11 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Tall guys get enough breaks already, the least you can do is let us south-of-six-footers have some cool cars
LOL wish i have his problem.

Old 08-28-2011 | 05:16 PM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
Hmm...this is a curious thread for me. I'm 6'0'' and I've actually DRIVEN this car. Never came close to this problem of hitting my head. Maybe that 3" does a lot, but...I don't know. The car does seem a little claustrophobic, I will agree with that. But I was comparing that to the R56 body style, which having that open room behind you with the back seats open it up a lot. Rear visibility isn't as good as the R56, but then again it's a small two seater coupe, so that's expected.

I'm not calling you a liar in any way, I just find it curious that I did a lot of getting in and out of this car (seat adjusted the way I like it and not...) and never thought headroom getting in or out of the car was an issue. Maybe I'm just young and nimble (I'm in my 20's), but I never came close to any problems.

Also...the roof height is the same as the R56 body style at 4'6". So if you hit your head on the Coupe, you should also be hitting your head on the regular Cooper. Maybe the bottom part of the seat was just pumped up all the way. (I put the bottom part of the seat as low as it can go)

Old 08-28-2011 | 06:39 PM
CoopersGuy
|
2nd Gear
@ bakesonaplane

Nope, the seat was in my normal driving position, all the way down all the way back, I am on my second MINI so I am a pro at getting my seat where it needs to be.

The door glass on this car is shorter than on the r56 so sure the overall height may be 1" less than the r56 the curve of the roof and the short door glass are the culprits.

Believe me, I wanted to love this car enough to put down a deposit, I really did but I don't want to have to be super cautious every time I get into and out of this or any car I drive regularly. My girlfriend has a Nissan altima and I am always hitting my head, same with my mom's BMW wagon?

I am not saying that people should not go and try the car on for size, I am just saying tall people should be careful the first time they get in.

Old 08-28-2011 | 07:03 PM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
That sounds fair. maybe the 3" is a big difference.

Old 08-28-2011 | 09:45 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I have not driven the car or seen the car in person. I'm 6 foot as well so I hope I have no problems. I'm a lot older than bakesonaplane and toss a fair grunt off now and again getting in and out of the R56. Same thing with my GTO. I'm just assuming there will be a few more than there are now and I'm willing to put up with that. LOL. Guess I need to get in a better shape.

My brother is about 6'4" I'll see what he thinks once I get the car.

I'm really pumped that those who have seen the car in person are excited about it. Even if they are not going to buy it. It's rather scary buying a car sight unseen. Never done that before but based on the reviews i have read and comments from those that have seen it in person it doesn't sound like I will be disappointed. I just love the way the car looks and frankly I don't think it will be a huge seller which I like. Keeps it more exclusive in my mind.

CoopersGuy I feel for you. I'm glad you have the umph to not get it when you know it isn't perfect for you. A lot of people wouldn't be able to do that and then would be unhappy with the car. I made that mistake once. Bought a new car I wasn't entirely happy with. I couldn't get rid of that car fast enough.

Thanks for the honest assessment.

Pat

Old 08-29-2011 | 10:30 AM
captsprocket
1st Gear
I'm curious to know what the vision is out of the front window. I'm 6' tall as well and when I had my Miata, I found I was hunched over looking out of the front window so I could see the traffic lights. I have no trouble at all getting in and out of my R56 or seeing the lights (unless, of course, I pull too far forward).

Just looking at the pics of the Coupe, it looks like the side windows are much lower and there is, or could be, a huge blind spot at the side rear of the car. The look of the car, however, is really awesome!

Old 08-29-2011 | 10:35 AM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
I never had an issue seeing lights out of the windshield. having the back windows cut down do create bigger blind spots, but it never seemed hindering in any way. The only vision problem I ever had while driving it was seeing traffic at a distance behind me, which the rooftop wing seemed to be the culprit for.

Old 08-29-2011 | 10:37 AM
CoopersGuy
|
2nd Gear
The view out the front was good but there were no traffic lights to look for. I always look at traffic lights to my left when in my R52 so I am thinking that it may be the same. The only other thing about the view out the front would be the HUGE rear view mirror. On my R52 I removed it because it created a large blind spot in the windshield and I can't see anything out the back anyhow with the rollbars back there. I think that the R58 will have blind spot problems similar to the drop tops but if your mirrors are adjusted well and you turn your head before lane changes you should be ok.

I also have no problems getting into the R50, R53, R52, R56, R55 and the R57, it is the roof on this car that is the problem.

Originally Posted by captsprocket
I'm curious to know what the vision is out of the front window. I'm 6' tall as well and when I had my Miata, I found I was hunched over looking out of the front window so I could see the traffic lights. I have no trouble at all getting in and out of my R56 or seeing the lights (unless, of course, I pull too far forward).

Just looking at the pics of the Coupe, it looks like the side windows are much lower and there is, or could be, a huge blind spot at the side rear of the car. The look of the car, however, is really awesome!

Old 08-29-2011 | 12:33 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I'll bet if you measure from the ground to the outside edge of the roof (where you hit your head) it's at least 2" less than the R56. The R56 roof is flat (see my signature pic below), the R58 roof curves downward where the windows are (see thumbnail). The thing's gotta have a major blind spot in both rear corners.

Attached Thumbnails R58 not for the tall :(-mini-coupe-4.jpg  

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 08-29-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2011 | 01:08 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I have no illusions, I fully expect the visibility to be poor as compared to my R56. I think the view out the rear view mirror with the wing down will be similar to the 370Z cars. It's real bad with blind spots as well. I test drove one a couple of years ago and liked the car but not enough to buy. The visibility on that car was not good. I expect this car to be the same.

In my current car I have to bend my head down to see some lights. Depends on how close i pull up to them. But i'm used to that so it's no big deal.

As long as I can get a good comfortable seating position I will put up with the other deficiencies. That may not be a fair word because I really don't view them like that. The seating position is number one for me and I don't think I will have a problem with that. The car is just so unique and cool that some of things are just inherent in a car like this.

I just want to Motor. And being as its's a JCW, I will be motoring. Yea!!

Old 08-29-2011 | 02:44 PM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I'll bet if you measure from the ground to the outside edge of the roof (where you hit your head) it's at least 2" less than the R56. The R56 roof is flat (see my signature pic below), the R58 roof curves downward where the windows are (see thumbnail). The thing's gotta have a major blind spot in both rear corners.
That would actually make sense then as to why 6'3" would hit and 6'0" still wouldn't. Even though I never even felt anywhere close. But then again, I'm very used to getting into cars that are very low to the ground. The '73 Jaguar E-type I've driven is very low, along with the Lotus Esprit I've had the privilege to drive which is probably a good couple inches lower than the coupe's roof line and when you get in, you basically sit on the floor. So I guess I naturally get lower then necessary to get into cars.

And I'm not trying to go against the OP or anything, but I just don't want someone around that height to be completely turned off of this car because of their height from what one person said. The car on the inside feels the same size for the front two seats as it does in the R56 and others. If you feel that you would have to be cautious that's one thing, and hey, if you don't want to change anything about the way you enter your vehicle, that's fine....but you're missing out.

I highly doubt at the max a couple of inches difference would cause you to dramatically change how you get in and out of a car. Then again, I don't know your physical health. Again...if that's enough to turn you away, then it's your loss.

Old 08-29-2011 | 03:30 PM
k9oz
2nd Gear
I also sat in that car last Friday. it seemed spacious compared to wife's Miata with the top up. I'm short 5'8" with long torso and hit my head getting in many modern cars, but no problem with coupe. wife didn't like it though. I loved it.

Old 08-29-2011 | 04:04 PM
PatM
6th Gear
What didn't your wife like it?

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:00 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
I sat in the new Coupe tonight at Crown MINI of Richmond. My wife and I both liked it . It is an S, red with silver roof, mirrors, and stripes (red stripes on roof). Interior is black punch leather, Nav, auto, red color line and black painted dash and door inserts.

One can see how easily it is to hit one's head on the roof - shape and height are MUCH different than any past or present MINI. I am only 5'7", but still had to be careful getting in the car! The windshield is SERIOUSLY RAKED (for a MINI anyway), the roof is more curved aft, and the side windows are shorter and curved at the top like an S2000, Boxster, Miata, Z4, etc. Ironically, they had it parked next to a new R57 where you could clearly see the differences in the windshield/roof line.

The view to the back appears to be quite obstructed, however, with properly adjusted/good use of mirrors it might not be too bad. One more thing to make me want to wait for the Roadster...just put the top down .

But WOW, the car is gorgeous in person . It will turn some heads for sure. I don't care for the "backwards baseball cap" look...but I am FOR SURE eagerly awaiting the Roadster!

Last edited by minicoopermike; 08-29-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2011 | 06:50 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
At Ferman MINI (of Tampa Bay)'s Coupé preview party last week, several people UNDER 6" tall, including myself, conked their heads getting in. I'm only 5'7" on a good day, but my neck is very inflexible (Long story, don't want surgery, blah, blah) so I can't duck as easily as most people. When I get in a car, my neck/head are pretty rigid.

I already own a Toyota Supra with a short porch. That car is my weekend toy, but I have learned to get in a little more slowly, and scoot my bum in a little further before I swing my head in. If I were driving a Coupé, I think I'd have to do the same there. (Never had to duck in my R53's, don't currently duck in my Mazdaspeed3)

It is a beautiful little car, though. Once inside, I had no issues with visibility, etc. Of course, that was sitting still in a parking lot like everyone else. Yep, visibility is much better in my old R53, but the view in the Coupé seemed perfectly adequate. Just not great.

Old 09-15-2011 | 07:13 PM
twriter
2nd Gear
I climbed in and out of one at my local dealer recently. Didn't clonk my head (at 6'0"). but like with the everyday Mini, it's a definite climb *up* from the seat. I figure whatever Mini I eventually get, I'm going to have to be careful with my head getting in and out.

Two significant issues caught my eye, however:

- The top of my (size 14) feet hit the bottom of the instrument panel cover as I was moving my foot from gas pedal to brake pedal. I had on just plain sneakers, not any particularly bulky shoes. But foot clearance in the Coupe's driver side is definitely less than the Mini proper.

- Rear visibility is HORRIBLE, perhaps worse than the convertible (if that's at all possible). The places where you'd look back, from directly behind to both right and left blind spots are small and short, with large pillars further hampering views.

That said, plenty of headroom, nice cargo space, and it is, after all, a MINI.

Old 09-15-2011 | 08:31 PM
Cred
4th Gear
I am 6'1" and didn't have a problem getting in without hitting my head. I think if I did I would learn a better way to get into the drivers seat. I am sure the coupe has some negatives but hitting my head is not one of them for me.
I used to drive a FJ Cruiser and that thing has some blind spots! You learn to adapt and direct your mirrors accordingly.

Old 09-15-2011 | 09:09 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Sat in it last night. While I am not really tall 5'10" the one thing I noticed was because the roof is no longer flat. MINI has omitted the side visor from the drivers side as well as the grab handle on the passenger side. That said the lower side rails above the window will block out a bit more sun if you jack your seats up to avoid the sun when it bothers you.

Old 09-16-2011 | 01:32 PM
goin440
6th Gear
I'm tall and hit my head on everything and can't narrow it down to just a car. Will say though more than once I caught the corner of my eye/temple on the door glass in tight parking situations. Mostly forgot about it once I started driving again and flipp'n fingers to random drivers without reason. That always cheers me up.

Old 09-20-2011 | 11:33 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Whoa whoa whoa... Being tall and complaining about the size of a MINI.. a MINI...
Really now come on, there's 50 other brands for you to choose from

Old 09-21-2011 | 07:06 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattsenpai
Whoa whoa whoa... Being tall and complaining about the size of a MINI.. a MINI...
Really now come on, there's 50 other brands for you to choose from
Amen brother!!

Old 09-21-2011 | 07:22 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
I disagree. The MINI is the roomiest vehicle for the driver I have ever owned. People never believe me but I have more room in my MINIs than I did in any SUV I have driven or truck I have owned (largest being an F-150 with extended cab). I think a Superduty might have more room, but that roominess seem to come form the width, not legs to dash.

Old 09-22-2011 | 03:38 AM
CoopersGuy
|
2nd Gear
I am not complaining about the size of a MINI, I was just stating a fact for the taller folks that may have been wondering. I was SO excited about this car when I saw it but it was always a question of mine with the lower roof.

Quick Reply: R58 R58 not for the tall :(