R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Edmunds InsideLine Preview

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011 | 07:14 AM
bentyyc
|
5th Gear
Edmunds InsideLine Preview

http://www.insideline.com/mini/coupe...rst-drive.html

Everything you'd expect them to say, and nothing you didn't...

Some nice pics though!

Old 09-09-2011 | 03:40 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Wow! Did you guys see all of the user comments on that article? Perople really do hate the Coupe now don't they. It's kind of making me second guess my sight unseen purchase decision. Am I going to get stuck with a Pontiac Aztec here???

Old 09-09-2011 | 04:58 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Wow! Did you guys see all of the user comments on that article? Perople really do hate the Coupe now don't they. It's kind of making me second guess my sight unseen purchase decision. Am I going to get stuck with a Pontiac Aztec here???
Pfft! I've seen the car in person twice now. It gets better looking every time. I don't regret my purchase in the slightest.

Old 09-09-2011 | 05:25 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
It's been clear since the concept was shown that the Coupe inspires either love or hate. I think it's funny that there will be people who hate the look of my car and it will be interesting to see how my fellow MINI club members and friends and family will react if they hate the car but don't want to hurt my feelings. I really wouldn't want a MINI Coupe if it had traditional styling like an Audi TT or Porsche 911. The "floating helmet" roof is distinctive and I purposely ordered a Silver roof in order to maximize the effect.

I do wish the Coupe was lighter and a bit cheaper than the Hardtop, but those points will be somewhat offset with the rarity of the model.

Old 09-09-2011 | 05:35 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Yea.. I'm worried I will get badgered because of the look. I'm hoping this isn't some sort of 'Aztec' situation here.

But in the end.. I like it. It is unique and looks totally different and I love it because of that. I still think it looks slick to and everyone that I show photos too has really loved it as well including those that saw it in person at a dealership. A few though still can't stand it but meh to them.

Old 09-09-2011 | 08:06 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Not worried at all. The number of Coupe running about in the wilds of Nebraska will be so few that for anyone to form an opinion other than interest will be rare. For instance, I saw an Audi TT for the first time in a year last week. Really enjoy that my car will be something special to me and sticks out in the community. Finally, will really love pulling up next to the Fiat 500's to make them realize they bought the wrong car.

Old 09-09-2011 | 08:22 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Yea I posted back on one of those comments. Come on most of those people were morons in my opinion. One of those pinheads said he would rather drive a Juke instead of the Coupe. What kind of statement is that? It comes from a complete lack of knowledge and a particular lack of knowledge about cars in general. What a joke!!

Gets my dander up a little actually. But you have to consider the source. I really don't give a flying hoot what anyone says. For those of you who are having second thoughts you may have made a mistake. If you let emotion make your total buying decision you could be in trouble. Jamesday said it very succinctly, it's going to be cult car and HOPEFULLY not a lot of them running around.

Just remember it's a Mini not a Chrysler or a Pontiac or a Juke. I still can't believe someone would make a statement like that. It's a sign of ignorance.

But they can have their own opinion. I betcha when they see one in person they are going to be twisting inside with envy and regret. Yea!!

Anyway, I'm itching to get my hands on mine. It's going to be a cool car. My build started on a Tuesday so hopefully it will be a good car. LOL

Yea

Old 09-10-2011 | 07:15 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Old 09-10-2011 | 08:47 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Wow! Ugly does seem to be the consensus of the general public now doesn't it. Funny, as I think the Coupe looks great (in the right configuration that is). Guess I'm just an odd duck.

Looking at this video of a justa Coupe, I don't see how anyone can think it's ugly:

http://youtu.be/ptcW-WgELPo

Again though, look at the comments under the video. Folks just seem to really hate it. I find it all quite interesting indeed. I guess that since most folks find the Coupe ugly, there will be fewer of them on the road, and that's just fine with me.

Last edited by TheOfficeMaven; 09-10-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2011 | 08:59 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Oh man, this one's great! I plan on driving my Coupe just like this so make sure you don't get in my way. Haha!

http://youtu.be/b7XGqIJ5k-8

BTW, that yellow Coupe looks great. Too bad MINI didn't opt for some more special colors for the Coupe.

Old 09-10-2011 | 09:32 AM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Oh man, this one's great! I plan on driving my Coupe just like this so make sure you don't get in my way. Haha!

http://youtu.be/b7XGqIJ5k-8
Because we are now showing virtual Coupes. I will now show the video I made for the WWR boys last year.

feel free to check out some of my other stuff here