R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Problems the Coupe might have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011 | 05:38 PM
v2Bob
|
2nd Gear
Question Problems the Coupe might have?

What problems might the Coupe share with other MINIs? Problems that leave you suddenly stranded and/or are very expensive, not a trim rattle the dealer can't find or the odd dash design. From reading other threads on this site my concerns are vacuum pump failure that leads to a totaled engine, HPFP failure, and clutches that need to be replaced long before they should.

I'm a complete MINI newbie, so it's a bit confusing knowing what the different models and years have in common. I'm willing to give up some reliability for the things I like about the Coupe, but I hope to have it a long time without it failing me when I'm some some remote place out West or needing a engine replaced.

Also I know a rare problem can seem much more common online. The flip side of that is that a forum such as this tends to be populated by fans of the product. ;-)

Thanks

Old 09-20-2011 | 06:22 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Impossible to know. It's a new model, first year. Read other threads.

My minis were pretty much trouble free.

There are a half million threads on this. You can find em for the Countryman, the R56, well heck all of em.

I'm positive that I will have zero problems.

End of story as far as I am concerned. (I'm going to stay out of this thread. Read too many just like this. This may not be the car for you. It is a new model.)

Last edited by PatM; 09-20-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2011 | 06:40 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by v2Bob
What problems might the Coupe share with other MINIs? Problems that leave you suddenly stranded and/or are very expensive, not a trim rattle the dealer can't find or the odd dash design. From reading other threads on this site my concerns are vacuum pump failure that leads to a totaled engine, HPFP failure, and clutches that need to be replaced long before they should.

I'm a complete MINI newbie, so it's a bit confusing knowing what the different models and years have in common. I'm willing to give up some reliability for the things I like about the Coupe, but I hope to have it a long time without it failing me when I'm some some remote place out West or needing a engine replaced.

Also I know a rare problem can seem much more common online. The flip side of that is that a forum such as this tends to be populated by fans of the product. ;-)

Thanks
No matter what there will be issues with cars.. no mater the make/model/brand etc.

Its inevitable. MINI's have their share of issues but they also have nice warranties lined up with them. It is pretty impossible to guestimate if a new model will be struck with a lot of these issues or not.

It is a new trim so some of the exterior elements will be brand new but a lot of it is pulled from the other MINI's like some of the frame is from a standard R56 and some is from the R57 Convertibles. The interior is generally the same minus the back seats. They use the same engines as all the 2011 R56's are using etc.

A lot of it is the same honestly and its almost impossible to predict. I owned the first R56 in Dallas that was delivered. I loved it and it never had any issues. My lease was only 3 years but never had an issue with the car within those 3 years.