R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Test Drove a 2012 Coupe Yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011 | 06:12 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
|
4th Gear
Test Drove a 2012 Coupe Yesterday...

Hey guys. I just test drove a 2012 Coupe S last night. It was overall a pretty interesting night.

It was my girlfriend and me driving around, and we pass the dealership. She wanted to go see the car she wants (2006 Cooper S). We turned the corner to see her car.... and there were 3 Coupes! I was pretty much hyperventilating at this point, because I'd been waiting for these to come for awhile.

Anyways, I am out looking at the car, the boss-man throws me the keys, and says let's go on a test drive. You'll be the first to drive one in Kentucky. So I did.

I got in, and immediately was greeted by a nice interior (compared to my 2010). The guy went out of the car to go get the license plate, and I inspected the interior a little more. It was fully loaded (For around $33k) and very nice. The steering was stiffer (good thing) than in my 2010, but one thing I hated- the way the clutch felt. There was something catching on the end of it, and it was a horrible feeling! Gave me chills down my spine, I have no idea why! But the clutch.... not enjoying it. One thing I appreciated was the rear spoiler, which could be put up and down and anywhere in between with a toggle switch where the sunroof toggle usually is.

So we left the dealership. I was not driving too well because the clutch had such a different feel. Got used to it after a mile though. Then, the guy started getting mad at me "for driving the car like a race-car".... Uhhh... I bought my MINI for performance and I want to see if this car performs... He wouldn't let me pass up 4th gear. At one point, I accidentally (that's what I told him at least) spun the tires a little from a stop. I was in no way driving crazy or dangerously, but the guy was not having it. Since he was like this, I couldn't really get a good feel for the high-rpm range or the full performance. I'd like to go back tonight and test drive it with another person and see. Maybe I could swing it so that I can test drive it without someone in the car, maybe my gf.

The car felt NICE though. The guy asked me if I wanted to trade my car in for one. I played with the idea. He wanted my car with all of the aftermarket I had put on it, for $20,000!! When the private party was almost $26,000, and then I could strip all my aftermarket off and make another $2k. NO THANK YOU.

I eventually started talking to him about the offer. Got it up around $4.5k, but still wouldn't have it. He told me he'd talk to another guy that worked there and get back to me.

Eventually, the conversation turned to him asking me about MINIs to see how much I knew about them. He was impressed, and he offered me a job selling cars on the Saturdays when I wasn't working my other job/in school. Wanting a job with MINIs for awhile, I told him yes and told him I'd come in tomorrow (today) to talk about it.

I must admit, I wanted the car. I thought it was so unbelievably ugly in pictures, but in person/in the driver's seat, it was incredible.

I highly recommend you all go see this car for yourselves.

Last edited by RedAndBlackMiniS; 09-28-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2011 | 06:29 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Wow...sounds like quite the night. Well good luck with the job offer and let's hope you get to tell us first-hand about MINIs when they first hit the showroom floor.

Old 09-28-2011 | 06:46 AM
Cred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMiniS

I must admit, I wanted the car. I thought it was so unbelievably ugly in pictures, but in person/in the driver's seat, it was incredible.

I highly recommend you all go see this car for yourselves.
I agree that the coupe looks so much better in person then in photos or even the configurator. For the coupe there is no substitute for seeing it in person.
A month ago my wife and I went into our local Mini dealership to put money down on a JCW hatchback. I was ok with getting the hatchback but really preferred the coupe, but since my wife hated every photo she saw of the coupe we decided on the hatchback. She saw the coupe and said, "that looks great, its cute!" We put money down on a JCW coupe 30 minutes later! The coupe is a beauty in my eyes.

Old 09-28-2011 | 07:12 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
aarrgghh.... anothre test drive while i still waiting for mine

Old 09-28-2011 | 07:21 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
ngweibing - Why not go test drive one yourself? All dealers should have Coupes now on the lot for test drives.

but one thing I hated- the way the clutch felt. There was something catching on the end of it, and it was a horrible feeling! Gave me chills down my spine, I have no idea why! But the clutch.... not enjoying it.
Well if you work at a MINI dealership.. be prepared.

All clutches feel like that since the change in 2011. Including Hatchbacks, Clubmans and Countrymans.

Old 09-28-2011 | 07:43 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Two words: employee discount.

Old 09-28-2011 | 07:48 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PezRadar
ngweibing - Why not go test drive one yourself? All dealers should have Coupes now on the lot for test drives.

Well if you work at a MINI dealership.. be prepared.

All clutches feel like that since the change in 2011. Including Hatchbacks, Clubmans and Countrymans.
Strange - I never noticed the clutch issue on the 2011 MCS I test drove.

Old 09-28-2011 | 07:50 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMiniS
So we left the dealership. I was not driving too well because the clutch had such a different feel. Got used to it after a mile though. Then, the guy started getting mad at me "for driving the car like a race-car".... Uhhh... I bought my MINI for performance and I want to see if this car performs... He wouldn't let me pass up 4th gear. At one point, I accidentally (that's what I told him at least) spun the tires a little from a stop. I was in no way driving crazy or dangerously, but the guy was not having it. Since he was like this, I couldn't really get a good feel for the high-rpm range or the full performance. I'd like to go back tonight and test drive it with another person and see. Maybe I could swing it so that I can test drive it without someone in the car, maybe my gf.
I would have driven straight back to the dealership and walked away to find another sale person or dealership.

Old 09-28-2011 | 08:01 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
I was offered a test-drive of the Cooper Coupe by myself. Later I did drive the MCS Coupe with my MA, but I like him so that was fine.

My first few shifts felt odd, but I just attributed that to it being a different clutch than the FIAT I drove there.

I was once offered a job with MINI due to my knowledge and enthusiasm. I didn't end up taking it after a week of training, but considered it.

Old 09-28-2011 | 08:57 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
It isn't an issue.

It is just how RedandBlackMINIS felt/thought it was. It is actually normal. He just isn't use to it.

It was more than likely working as intended.

Old 09-28-2011 | 09:05 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PezRadar
It isn't an issue.

It is just how RedandBlackMINIS felt/thought it was. It is actually normal. He just isn't use to it.

It was more than likely working as intended.
Glad to hear that

Old 09-28-2011 | 09:33 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
Two words: employee discount.
Typically you can get a better deal if you do not work for the dealership and/or if you do not know anyone at the dealership personally. Sad to say but true. When I sold cars the manager used to tell me that I should take advantage of my relatives buying vehicles off from me as they were easy sales and a good way to make money.

Old 09-28-2011 | 09:58 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
No no, it's not an issue/problem. It's just my general dislike for it. Probably because I'm used to my really stiff clutch on my 2010. It's funny, whenever I go from driving a VW GTi, or even from driving the 2011 MINIs, I always mess up my shifts when I go to drive my car, because it's such a drastic change from my clutch to a softer clutch.

Old 10-04-2011 | 09:30 PM
shawjd1
1st Gear
I drove a Coupe S today at Otto's in West Chester, PA. Holly is great! HOWEVER, I too was really bummed about the clutch! Seems like full engagement takes about 6 to 8 inches, or the whole through. Then when you get to within 1 inch or so from full out it give you one last leap/grab. Currently have '09 R56 with 10,000mi and the clutch through is easily half that of the Coupe and the grab is linear. I am really questioning my ability to master this wacky Coupe clutch. Anyone experience a similar feeling???

Old 10-04-2011 | 09:52 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
For the 50th millionth time..

It isn't the 'Coupe' clutch that is like this..

It is any clutch on ANY MINI Cooper/Clubman/Countryman base or S models from 2011 - onward.

This was part of the refresh in 2011. I think JCWs still have the older clutch but I could be wrong on that.

If you don't like the clutch then you may as well not buy anything past 2011 :P

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:47 PM
shawjd1
1st Gear
Thanks, Pez, very much for the quick reply. Sorry to be the 50th millionth +1. I just dropped in with a broad search on Coupe+Clutch. It makes perfect sense that the power pack/trans kits apply to a number or product lines. While I appreciate your statement of the Mini business plan I was looking for any techniques that new owners may have on coping with a clutch that exhibits this long engagement stroke. I'm sure drivers of the Coupe have developed subtle nuances of motion that applies even matching of the power pack to manual transmission. Anyone have any tricks????

Old 10-05-2011 | 04:26 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by shawjd1
Thanks, Pez, very much for the quick reply. Sorry to be the 50th millionth +1. I just dropped in with a broad search on Coupe+Clutch. It makes perfect sense that the power pack/trans kits apply to a number or product lines. While I appreciate your statement of the Mini business plan I was looking for any techniques that new owners may have on coping with a clutch that exhibits this long engagement stroke. I'm sure drivers of the Coupe have developed subtle nuances of motion that applies even matching of the power pack to manual transmission. Anyone have any tricks????
It was more so a reply to the misinformation that only the "COUPE" has a soft clutch. Your post came off to me as if that model was the only one with this which isn't true. Some people like the new clutch and some don't so if I were a random poster who read your post and thought am not a fan of 'soft clutches', I would immediately unsubscribe to the notion of purchasing a Coupe. Apologies if it came off harsh or overly sarcastic.

In regards to 'Tricks to dealing with it..'

I would recommend you check in the R56 forums and ask the 2011 owners. You will have better luck there as 1-3 total NAM owners actually have their Coupes. The rest of us won't have them for at least another week or two. The 2011 R56's use the same clutch so they would be able to provide a direct answer immediately. Coupe owners can provide that answer after more of us receive our cars. Likewise I'm sure we would prefer to have a few weeks with the cars to correctly reply back to your question as I'm sure the clutch will take some sort of duration of experience to adequately reply back to your question.

Last edited by PezRadar; 10-05-2011 at 04:43 AM.