R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Decided not to get a Coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011 | 03:22 PM
Pez D. Spencer
3rd Gear
Grapes, wine in the pill form?

Old 10-09-2011 | 03:37 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I too ordered sight unseen but once I had driven the S and JCW Coupe I was sold. Mine is CR/Black top with the black/red stripes. The car is going to be awesome.

We only get about 85 days of sunshine where I live and a ragtop just does not make sense to me. If I lived in an area with better weather I would wait on the roadster.

I think a person really needs to drive the car before making a final decision. But certainly the car is not for everyone and I am ok with that. The less that buy it the better from my perspective. When I first bought my Mini there were hardly any around. Now there are every corner in my neck of the woods. It will be nice to have something that is fresh and new and different than the other cars on the road. I like that. Cult car?? I hope so!!

Motor On friends.

Old 10-09-2011 | 03:55 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by tcassa
Wow, the moderator is overly sensitive.
This is my good side.........

Old 10-09-2011 | 04:23 PM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Because after following this thread and really getting excited that my Husband said it would be something to at least go see and because after really thinking that a Coupe would be an awesome car for us, I saw it, sat in it, and just didn't feel it...sort of felt more like an appliance, like all those other car companies have Joe Blow buying...that's all.
You really need to drive it to fully appreciate it...not just sit in it.

I am having some conflicted feelings. I had decided to pass on the Coupe because the way I would want to spec it out comes to almost $30k including taxes, etc. That just seems kind of insane. And I only have 17k miles on my 2006 MINI so that makes it even more insane. But I gotta say after a short test drive that the Coupe is even more fun to drive. Maybe it is a difference between the 1st gen MINI and the 2nd gen MINI, I don't know. So, I would need to get top dollar for my current car for the numbers to make any sense. I thought I was OK with my choice to not move forward with a Coupe right now, but I literally find myself having dreams about getting one. It's very weird.

Old 10-09-2011 | 04:32 PM
tcassa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
This is my good side.........
Then I hope not to get on the bad side. Cheers

Old 10-09-2011 | 08:24 PM
RJKimbell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glennaa11
You really need to drive it to fully appreciate it...not just sit in it.

I am having some conflicted feelings. I had decided to pass on the Coupe because the way I would want to spec it out comes to almost $30k including taxes, etc. That just seems kind of insane. And I only have 17k miles on my 2006 MINI so that makes it even more insane. But I gotta say after a short test drive that the Coupe is even more fun to drive. Maybe it is a difference between the 1st gen MINI and the 2nd gen MINI, I don't know. So, I would need to get top dollar for my current car for the numbers to make any sense. I thought I was OK with my choice to not move forward with a Coupe right now, but I literally find myself having dreams about getting one. It's very weird.
SA of course thought I was there to Test Drive, we/I first like to get a feel for the car, if it's worth our time, then we'll talk Test Drive. You wouldn't believe how many cars we looked at and I just didn't fit, Civic's, TCs, my head was hitting the roof w/the seat as low as it would go too, that is the 1st thing I do when I'm looking at a "smallish" car. I'm 5'8", but with long legs, torso, and arms. Sitting in the Coupe, I didn't have the headliner right there, and I could adjust the seat 1 notch closer than full aft...like Molly the fit was fine!!

Like I said it just wasn't for us. Believe me I had one spec'd as well, it came to almost the exact same $$ as what I paid for the Molly Car, sans TTL, she is now paid off (after 3yrs., 3mo., & 3wks.), so $$ would be no issue.

She's just shy of 39,000mi. she's my Daily Driver at this point, Hubby and I are usually able to commute to work together and we take his car, right now he's recovering from Full Knee Replacement Surgery, so I'm driving her more than usual, she's is affectionately known as "The Garage Queen"!!

Old 10-09-2011 | 08:36 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
Love oxygen blue, I'd hold on to Molly for a long time!

Old 10-10-2011 | 08:05 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I really don't understand the mod's comments here...

"Maybe if you guys put more of an effort into solving his quandry instead of personal attacks and off topic remarks, you may just gain a friend and/or even change RJ's mind...... "

First of all, I don't think she had a quandry, rather she expressed her opinion that the car just didn't do it for her.

Second, we're supposed to then talk her into it?

Third, somehow we gain a friend by telling her how she's wrong?

Makes no sense to me.

I think the OP has it very clear, and simply was relating her experience.

I happen to share her feelings, the Coupe just doesn't do it for me either. Part of it is the stupid looking roof, but even once past that the idea of paying more for less car somehow just doesn't get my motor running either. And the huge blind spots are a real problem for me, too. I'm interested in looking at the roadster when it comes out, but at the price point I expect them to ask for it, I doubt I'll be persuaded to buy one.

I'll stay with my Clubby for now, TYVM......

Old 10-10-2011 | 08:24 AM
jdurdick
3rd Gear
To each their own. I see no problem with somebody deciding to stick with something they love for sure.

Old 10-10-2011 | 09:02 AM
artguy
2nd Gear
Once you actually drive it..

You'll find the rear window isn't bad at all. As Pat said in his most excellent test drive write up, you can't see the horizon above, but you can see what's behind you just fine. I would compare it to a really nice widescreen plasma TV. It's almost panoramic, but just not as tall/high. After about 5 minutes behind the wheel, I had no issues. You need to use those side mirrors without fail, and you'll be fine.

As for myself, I think the roof is awesome. Nothing out there like it on any car. I've had mixed reactions from friends when I have shown them pics of the concept and now actual production vehicles, but even those who say it's fugly don't bother me, I love the look, and that's all that matters - to me!!

When I sat in it - started it up and took off out of the dealership, I knew I had made the right choice. When you grin from ear to ear the whole time you are behind the wheel, you know it's the right car for you!

Oh and the HK stereo sounds awesome!! Put in the newly remastered Pink Floyd Welcome to the machine during our little drive, and it sounded fantastic. Can't wait til next week when I pick mine up!

Kurt

Old 10-10-2011 | 09:23 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by artguy
You'll find the rear window isn't bad at all. As Pat said in his most excellent test drive write up, you can't see the horizon above, but you can see what's behind you just fine. I would compare it to a really nice widescreen plasma TV. It's almost panoramic, but just not as tall/high. After about 5 minutes behind the wheel, I had no issues. You need to use those side mirrors without fail, and you'll be fine.

As for myself, I think the roof is awesome. Nothing out there like it on any car. I've had mixed reactions from friends when I have shown them pics of the concept and now actual production vehicles, but even those who say it's fugly don't bother me, I love the look, and that's all that matters - to me!!

When I sat in it - started it up and took off out of the dealership, I knew I had made the right choice. When you grin from ear to ear the whole time you are behind the wheel, you know it's the right car for you!

Oh and the HK stereo sounds awesome!! Put in the newly remastered Pink Floyd Welcome to the machine during our little drive, and it sounded fantastic. Can't wait til next week when I pick mine up!

Kurt
Exactly

Old 10-10-2011 | 10:13 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Other than the Honda CR-Z starting around $21,000, there just isn't another two-seater Coupe under $50,000. MINI saw a huge hole in the market and placed a very fun and unique Coupe in that segment. Win.

Oh, and I decided not to get a Hardtop (since we're declaring what we aren't buying).

Old 10-10-2011 | 10:21 AM
Celtic Frost
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
Other than the Honda CR-Z starting around $21,000, there just isn't another two-seater Coupe under $50,000. MINI saw a huge hole in the market and placed a very fun and unique Coupe in that segment. Win.

Oh, and I decided not to get a Hardtop (since we're declaring what we aren't buying).
The Miata is another 2-seater well under 50k. I'd like to test drive one, but would never buy one though.

Old 10-10-2011 | 10:40 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
The Miata is not a fixed-roof Coupe, it's a roadster and more comparable to the MINI Roadster coming in 2012.

Old 10-10-2011 | 11:24 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
I think TT's are below 50k as well. I thought they had fixed roofs or you can get a roadster.

Miatas have a hard roof option as well but I'm fairly sure it is retractable.

Old 10-10-2011 | 11:36 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
The Miata is not a fixed-roof Coupe, it's a roadster and more comparable to the MINI Roadster coming in 2012.
But the retractable hard top Miata is
167 Hp.
Weight 2593
6 speed
EPA 21/28
Bose Audio
Auto Climate control
Leather trimmed seats
Heated seats
with Premium package, Appearance package, suspension package,

Cost $32,863.

I think I will stick with my JCW Coupe.

It will be interesting to see how the Roadster compares to the Miata. I'm certain it will be more money but the again I think it's more car so I'm ok with that.

Is the Mini Roadster coming in 2012 or 2013?

Old 10-10-2011 | 11:39 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PezRadar
I think TT's are below 50k as well. I thought they had fixed roofs or you can get a roadster.

Miatas have a hard roof option as well but I'm fairly sure it is retractable.
Base TT starts at $39,175 and up from there.

Old 10-10-2011 | 11:43 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
Base TT starts at $39,175 and up from there.
Yes so you confirmed my answer was correct.

It is below 50k

EDIT: Oh and Roadster goes into production February 2012.
EDIT2: Wow Miata gets really bad gas mileage.

Last edited by PezRadar; 10-10-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2011 | 11:53 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PezRadar
EDIT2: Wow Miata gets shitty gas mileage.
I agree. Not the best. The car has zero personality from an aesthetic point of view. It may drive just great I haven't driven one but I will put my JCW Coupe up against it any day.

Now the TT that is a different story. If I remember correctly I priced one out as I would buy it and it was 50K if memory serves me. (Sometimes it doesn't serve me well so don't quote me. LOL)

Old 10-10-2011 | 12:12 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
The Audi TT Coupe is not a two-seater, it is a 2+2.

Old 10-10-2011 | 12:35 PM
tommy13
1st Gear
Well, it's a 2-seater in the real world, like a 911, 500, and most Minis. I don't see much of an actual difference other than the configuration of the hatch, where the coupe's split area is really closer to a 2+2 configuration than would have been a real hatchback's.

The roadster should just be a couple of grand north of each level of the coupe, no?

Old 10-11-2011 | 06:30 AM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
Dealer offering $750 off

I got an email from one of my local dealers (MINI of Sterling) yesterday announcing a big event they are having next Saturday. Some sort of BBQ thing with test drives of the new Coupe (and other models). And they are offering $750 discounts. Obviously not a huge amount of money, but better than nothing.

Why do they insist on tempting me so?

Old 10-11-2011 | 12:54 PM
tccox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
+1 (or the R56/R55/R57 in general - the R53 was a WAY better "MINI" hands down)
Nawwwwww, R56 WAYYYYYYYYY betterthan a R53

Old 10-11-2011 | 01:18 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tccox
Nawwwwww, R56 WAYYYYYYYYY betterthan a R53
How so?

Old 10-11-2011 | 01:21 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear

Quick Reply: R58 Decided not to get a Coupe...