R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Decided not to get a Coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011 | 09:44 PM
RJKimbell
|
6th Gear
Decided not to get a Coupe...

Ok, I know I'll get flamed with this one, but I just don't see the personality in a Coupe like My Molly Car has. Even if I were to order one just the way I was able to order MS MOLY on my 45th Birthday and be as excited as I was on Delivery Day and worried about the roads 'cause they called for Icy Weather in April.

For some reason I just didn't see the personality of the Coupe or feel that excitement the same as I did on the day we placed the order for Molly, 8 long weeks...lots of waiting, wondering, anticipation of when her ship (the Trianon) would traverse the Panama Canal, staying up really really late to get a pic. of it.

So although I understand all of your fervor for this little MINI Coupe we have decided that one will not be taking the place of my beloved MS MOLY. Molly was "my" very 1st Brand New Car and you'll never have your very 1st Brand New Car ever again.

Let the modding continue!!

Old 10-08-2011 | 09:53 PM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
The coupe looks like a after thought.The roadster looks right.

I will take a hardtop over a coupe any day.

Old 10-08-2011 | 10:03 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Old 10-08-2011 | 10:04 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Ok, I know I'll get flamed with this one, but I just don't see the personality in a Coupe like My Molly Car has. Even if I were to order one just the way I was able to order MS MOLY on my 45th Birthday and be as excited as I was on Delivery Day and worried about the roads 'cause they called for Icy Weather in April.

For some reason I just didn't see the personality of the Coupe or feel that excitement the same as I did on the day we placed the order for Molly, 8 long weeks...lots of waiting, wondering, anticipation of when her ship (the Trianon) would traverse the Panama Canal, staying up really really late to get a pic. of it.

So although I understand all of your fervor for this little MINI Coupe we have decided that one will not be taking the place of my beloved MS MOLY. Molly was "my" very 1st Brand New Car and you'll never have your very 1st Brand New Car ever again.

Well.. that obviously makes sense. How can you expect a second car to suddenly replace the same feelings you will have on your very first new car/MINI you have ever ordered.

I had a R56 that I custom ordered (2007) and nothing will replace the feeling of me waiting for that car and tracking that down. The Coupe I ordered came close but obviously won't be the exact same. I'm still going to love it like no other and I don't regret my choice.

There are far too many hardtops on the road in my opinion and I just wanted something new to experience and after test driving the Coupe.. I am happy for my decision.

Congrats though on Molly. Hope you enjoy your hardtop for a while! Cherish the cars you love :D

Originally Posted by 2009R56JCW
The coupe looks like a after thought.The roadster looks right.

I will take a hardtop over a coupe any day.
Good for you. Some people like things that others don't.. no surprise. But I also won't go into the R56 hardtop forums and call their car an after thought.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 10-09-2011 at 05:26 AM. Reason: "disrespectful remark" removed
Old 10-08-2011 | 10:07 PM
Cred
4th Gear
No flaming from me. To each his/her own. I feel a deep desire to have a coupe. I see great personality and it still looks all MINI to me. But with that said, I am happy you still love your Molly. I'll be loving my coupe when she arrives.

Old 10-08-2011 | 10:23 PM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PezRadar
Well.. that obviously makes sense. How can you expect a second car to suddenly replace the same feelings you will have on your very first new car/MINI you have ever ordered.

I had a R56 that I custom ordered (2007) and nothing will replace the feeling of me waiting for that car and tracking that down. The Coupe I ordered came close but obviously won't be the exact same. I'm still going to love it like no other and I don't regret my choice.

There are far too many hardtops on the road in my opinion and I just wanted something new to experience and after test driving the Coupe.. I am happy for my decision.

Congrats though on Molly. Hope you enjoy your hardtop for a while! Cherish the cars you love :D

Good for you. Some people like things that others don't.. no surprise. But I also won't go into the R56 hardtop forums and call their car an after thought. Why? Because I'm not a jackass.

everyone on nam has the right to have a opinion.

I had a JCW coupe on order and once the dealer got a coupe and I had a chance to see it in the flesh I passed on my order unit and bought bmw 1M.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 10-09-2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Discussions on banning not permitted....
Old 10-08-2011 | 10:26 PM
RJKimbell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tcassa
And you felt the need to share this because????? Never mind, I really don't care.
Because after following this thread and really getting excited that my Husband said it would be something to at least go see and because after really thinking that a Coupe would be an awesome car for us, I saw it, sat in it, and just didn't feel it...sort of felt more like an appliance, like all those other car companies have Joe Blow buying...that's all.

Old 10-09-2011 | 01:14 AM
dsleedesign
2nd Gear
started with the CM then the Hardtop ..... then the Coupe (before I saw one in person)..... ended up with the Clubbie... and then bought a CM for my wife.

The Coupe is cool. But for the money (more than a Clubbie) it just did not make sense for us. I know 2 seats you typically pay more... we get that... just not for us.....

.... on the other hand.... that roadster could be fun next year.

Old 10-09-2011 | 04:31 AM
artguy
2nd Gear
My 2¢

Posts like this always seem to end the same, but I'll jump in too!

I have owned 4 MINI's since they were launched in the US. 3 MCS, and 1 cooper (my wife's) I saw the concept version of the coupe and thought it would make for a great car to drive daily to work (about 40 minutes each way) and since there are just 2 of us and no kids (well parrots who act like kids) we felt that having a coupe and a cooper would be awesome.

I ordered mine in July. No test drive, not even a dealer car to sit in. I just had a feeling it was going to be something I would be very happy to own and drive. I've been following it along through the MINI assembly/ship process, and having a blast - just like I did with my first MINI. I finally took one out for an "extended" test drive yesterday, and it made me grin from ear to ear. I love the look of the car. The interior is 100% MINI, and not some awful (insert brand of auto seen everywhere) plasticky, cheap thing. When you hit 50 and that wing glides up into position, I can only say you have to watch it do it's thing in the car's rearview mirror to fully appreciate it! MINI's have a way of making you smile, especially when you are on the way to your dealer to pick up the latest addition to your family.

Everyone has a different opinion on the look of the coupe, and love it or hate it - there will always be someone who thinks it is just right for them. Because that's the way we work. What's awesome to one is just "meh" to another, and that's OK with me.

Enjoy your R56, and rest assured that someone is going to feel the same way about their new coupe as you do about Ms Moly.

Me, for example!

Old 10-09-2011 | 05:35 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Decided to just clean this thread up.

RJ is perfectly within his rights to express feelings on a prospective MINI purchase. Just as you are within your rights to express yours provided you abide by NAM's guidelines !

Maybe if you guys put more of an effort into solving his quandry instead of personal attacks and off topic remarks, you may just gain a friend and/or even change RJ's mind......

Old 10-09-2011 | 05:44 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by RJKimbell

How does that saying go about " First Loves ! ".

So far I am still WAITING for a 6spd manual transmission Coupe S to arrive to my local MINI dealer......I can test drive the others, but I usually read my new auto magazines from the back page first

Old 10-09-2011 | 05:55 AM
v2Bob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
RJ is perfectly within his rights to express feelings on a prospective MINI purchase.
Thanks Raven, but the way I read it RJ is a woman.

Old 10-09-2011 | 07:55 AM
tcassa
2nd Gear
Wow, the moderator is overly sensitive. I didn't personally attack anybody. I just didn't see the need to open a thread telling people of a choice NOT to buy something. The original post and 2009r56jcw's seemed more of a trolling attempt then anything else. Whatever, your forum, moderate as you see fit.

Last edited by tcassa; 10-09-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2011 | 08:09 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I like grapes.

Old 10-09-2011 | 08:22 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Grapes are pointless and I would never buy them.

Old 10-09-2011 | 08:22 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I saw the Coupe in person last week, and it looks pretty cool. I'm not sure it looks as "MINI" as a hardtop, but I am eager to test drive one, at the very least. I'm excited to see how it handles around the bends, for sure.

The one they have on the lot is the CR/S, and personally, I don't think it's a great color combo. In all black the "helmet" would look less odd.

Old 10-09-2011 | 08:33 AM
RJKimbell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by v2Bob
Thanks Raven, but the way I read it RJ is a woman.
RJ stands for Robert/Julie, yes I am the Female half of this union, I am the car nut, Hubby wasn't "into" cars until he met me, none the less I still L@VE MINI!!

Old 10-09-2011 | 08:40 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
The one they have on the lot is the CR/S, and personally, I don't think it's a great color combo. In all black the "helmet" would look less odd.
I actually slightly agree here. But I wouldn't die with a silver helmet. The black though... is ace

BIASED? Of course not ;P

Old 10-09-2011 | 08:50 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
I think the roaster will solve some of the issues about the Coupe... but to each her own opinion (I like the JCW hatch over the Coupe too BTW )

Old 10-09-2011 | 09:38 AM
tccox
4th Gear
I've never met a Mini I didnt love. all sizes, all colors.

Old 10-09-2011 | 10:21 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
I think the roaster will solve some of the issues about the Coupe... but to each her own opinion (I like the JCW hatch over the Coupe too BTW )
The roadster will make sense for some people as they aren't big fans of the Coupe. I've just never been a fan of soft tops.

I love the JCW Coupe over the JCW Hatch BTW

Old 10-09-2011 | 10:40 AM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tccox
i've never met a mini i didnt love. All sizes, all colors.
+1

Old 10-09-2011 | 11:37 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Minis like Americans, come in all sizes and colors and as Mini owners, like Americans, we all have the right to express our opinions. In the end though, we should all stand together for the betterment of all. Did I smoke something this morning???

Old 10-09-2011 | 11:42 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
+1 (or the R56/R55/R57 in general - the R53 was a WAY better "MINI" hands down)

Originally Posted by PezRadar
The roadster will make sense for some people as they aren't big fans of the Coupe. I've just never been a fan of soft tops.

I love the JCW Coupe over the JCW Hatch BTW

Old 10-09-2011 | 03:17 PM
jdurdick
3rd Gear
No issue at all with people deciding the Coupe is not for them. After years of driving around the ubiquitous MINI that I seem to see tons of as good as the R53/R56 etc are there are just to many of them out there. I would just be pleased beyond words to not see another Coupe (outside of a event) for a long long time.

Quick Reply: R58 Decided not to get a Coupe...