R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 It's here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011 | 06:59 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PezRadar
Oh and I was really worried about the new clutch.. I did a test drive a few weeks ago and struggled with it..

But now.. it feels like it was built for me. That was even when I was pulling out of the dealership. So weird.. Guess I didn't have my seat adjusted right during my test drive or something.
I had no issues with the clutch when I did my test drive. Then I saw several people complain about the clutch, and wondered if I wasn't paying enough attention on that drive. After putting 100+ miles on the car today I can safely say that the clutch is just fine. I'd like the catch point to be slightly closer to the floor, but that's just a matter of adjusting my driving habits.

Old 10-11-2011 | 07:25 PM
drdave113
2nd Gear
Congradulations PEZ great color combo being a UT grad living next to Austin I should have gotten that color but I decided on the black. Im anxious to see some interior pic. My MA said mine underwent final assembly today

Old 10-11-2011 | 08:53 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Beautiful!

Old 10-11-2011 | 09:17 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Sweeeet car Pez. I love that color. It was a toss up between that SO and CR. But since CR is the only real color I had to go with that. Just kidding. I just have an affinity for the CR.

I can't wait to hear the report on your first week as well. That VVT engine is the bomb. I thought it ran like a champ and sounds fantastic. The pop and burble was sweet. I think the car is extremely quiet as well. Compared to my R56. What do you think?

Nice car my friend. You are styling now for sure

Congratulations

Old 10-12-2011 | 03:21 AM
JenK
2nd Gear
Wow, that looks awesome! Might have to strongly consider that color for my MINI, whichever one I get! Enjoy your new ride!

Old 10-12-2011 | 03:48 AM
kbeaner522
2nd Gear
Congrats, Pez! Looks awesome!!!

Old 10-12-2011 | 04:56 AM
ericsnyder
2nd Gear
Any chance there was any mating going on in the ship during transport, if so I want a pick of the litter!

Old 10-12-2011 | 06:04 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ericsnyder
Any chance there was any mating going on in the ship during transport, if so I want a pick of the litter!
Mine was on top.

Old 10-12-2011 | 08:51 AM
PezRadar
|
5th Gear
lol Bill. I have comments but I'd be banned!

I've been addicted to the spoiler. I intentionally speed up to 50mph to get the spoiler up in 40mph zones and then slow back down and settle around 40-45 to keep the guy up

Old 10-12-2011 | 03:05 PM
Lil' Red's Mom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BillTheCat
Mine was on top.
(covers eyes)

Old 10-12-2011 | 06:58 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Pez, do you name your cars? I've been naming my vehicles almost since the day I started driving, back in the Summer of 1832.

Did you have a name picked out for your Coupé?

I was toying with a few ideas, but noghint jumped up & shouted at me until just a few minutes ago. A friend on Sunshine MINIs suggested that, due to my keeping the whole thing under wraps, I call it "Secret Squirrel."

And I instantly went on a tangent- this car has a helmet & a tail. Plus, as with any MINI, it feels like you're just flying down the road. So my Coupé shall henceforth be known as "Rocky, the Flying Squirrel." Or just "Rocky" for short.

Old 10-12-2011 | 07:47 PM
PezRadar
|
5th Gear
I named my last MINI, Toober. I have no name for this one. Not sure if I will name it. It is just MY Coupe

Old 10-12-2011 | 07:48 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Good one. And thanks for not taking my name.

Old 10-12-2011 | 10:38 PM
PezRadar
|
5th Gear
So now that it has been a few days with the Coupe.. I have some initial impressions.

Some things I've noticed including some surprises

1) Bluetooth Microphone on the steering column (Thought this would be on the headliner. Guess I never looked up on my test drive)

2) HK sound system is AMAZING in the smaller space for the Coupe S. I love it. It is the best sound system I have ever had in any car.

3) This car has a really good whine. If you are a R53 owner.. you may really enjoy this whine. I had a 2007 R56.. it did not have a whine. Just sounded like any other car accelerating but this car.. wow. I'm not sure if this is just standard in the 2011 engine revisions but it really stands out. I can hear it very clearly in my car and it sounds almost as prominent as the SC whine from R53s. It is noticeable in 1st/2nd/3rd gears when accelerating between 2k to 5k RPMs.

4) The rear visibility and the blind spots is a non issue. I was a bit worried but adjusting your mirrors to the CORRECT WAY fixes this issue and leaves no issue. Just do it the CORRECT WAY. Google it :P. Rear spoiler does block the back window but it really isn't bad. You get use to it really quickly.

5) The car is pretty quiet on the inside (except for the occasional burble/pop and the whine I mentioned above). It drives solid and feels solid. In turns the car feels like it eats and holds the ground so well. It has literally no body roll which I love. It just turns so well

6) MINI Connected is awesome. I love it. Just being able to see album artwork is great. The voice commands between menus also works amazingly well. I'm really impressed and glad I forked more over for the MINI Connected system. I also got the Rear Park Distance controller and that is also great with MINI Connected. Being able to see things on the screen and change options on the screens and even see maintenance info on the screen is awesome!

7) I've received nothing but compliments about the car. I really think certain color combos will really affect peoples view on the looks of the car. Some color combos may not be for everyone but still look ace but I hate to brag.. but it feels like I really nailed it on it. Everyone keeps saying they love the color combo with the wheels. I showed it to the parents today who are very traditional and continually pressed me to get 'Chili Red' which I refused (My old MCS was that). They thought Spice Orange would look 'cheap'. They swallowed their tongues after the saw it and fell in love.

8) Odd compliment but I love the standard floor mats.. they have a white almost neon tubing/lining on the outside. They really make the car look super sharp whenever people step in. I've actually heard people compliment that oddly enough numerous times :P

9) I've had a few co-workers, one was 6' 3" and another 6' 5" tall dutch guy get into the car and literally be impressed by how much room is in the car.

10) I test drove the Coupe S a few weeks before I got mine. I was worried about the clutch. The revamped clutches (that started in 2011 models) are really soft compared to my Speed3 and compared to the 07 R56. I actually struggled a bit during the test drive... but my Coupe feels second nature. I haven't missed a shift once. Feels great. I love shifting in this car

In the end .. I love it. Best car ever. I love it way more than my first MINI back in 07. I never thought I'd say that.

The most surprising thing though is really that turbo whine and how prominent it sounds in the cabin. Also the feel of the car and how solid it feels on turns and handling. And finally the MINI Connected system.. it really is amazing

Old 10-13-2011 | 12:22 AM
wandrur
WOW!! That's a glowing review! Glad you're happy with it.

Old 10-13-2011 | 04:48 AM
v2Bob
2nd Gear
Thanks for the report Pez, sounds like you have a keeper.

Which suspension do you have, and what do you think of the ride on rough roads?

Old 10-13-2011 | 07:17 AM
PezRadar
|
5th Gear
I stuck with the standard suspension as I plan on doing no Auto X.

In regards to rough roads.. It is still thumps along those bumps pretty rough. Mainly because of the Contri Run Flats though. They have gotten a lot better than they were before but they still sound like you are dropping steel onto the ground as you pass over a crack in the road or something.

We have cement roads in Dallas so pot holes arent as apparent but crack most def are. Cement tends to be a rougher ride but it still feels smooth on good parts of the road.

Old 10-13-2011 | 10:07 AM
jacobjr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PezRadar
7) ...Some color combos may not be for everyone but still look ace but I hate to brag...but it feels like I really nailed it on it..."
Spot on. You nailed it.

Old 10-13-2011 | 11:25 AM
Cred
4th Gear
Great review. I wonder how harsh the sport suspension will be in comparison to the regular. How easy is the Mini Connected to use? Do you find yourself interested i the Mini Connected display while you are driving (ie distracting)?

Old 10-13-2011 | 12:06 PM
PezRadar
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cred
Great review. I wonder how harsh the sport suspension will be in comparison to the regular. How easy is the Mini Connected to use? Do you find yourself interested i the Mini Connected display while you are driving (ie distracting)?
It can be.. just gotta get adjusted to it and then it isn't so bad.

Don't be reading tweets while driving though

Old 10-13-2011 | 03:52 PM
diablito
5th Gear
great review!

Looks amazing in B23.

Old 10-13-2011 | 04:00 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
10th DAY S Coupe Observations: (1) grip on either dry or wet roads is amazing (2) great acceleration with almost no turbo lag or body roll, plus neat sounds....thought this is how a JCW would feel (3) the ride is great on g-Force tires (3) HK combined with Sirius radio inside the smaller cockpit is superb....and I'm thrilled about the feel of a two-seater even when I bump my head (4) there is room enough for me in the boot along with a doughnut spare (5) I wish I had a rear window wiper (6) virtually everyone is enamored of the coupe's design (7) I like the design of the windshield wipers and the shape of the front window (8) have come to really like the 6-Star Spoke wheels (9) have had to experiment a lot with seating position and now I'm sitting much lower than in an R56 (10) still get tickled by the reaction of the wing to the speed of the car while at the same time knowing that it has a practical purpose (10) currently disappointed in the mpg I'm seeing (11) overjoyed that I have one.

Last edited by Herby74; 10-13-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2011 | 04:02 PM
fifthsun
1st Gear
THAT is just SICK Pez... wish *I* was the owner of that mean-lean-machine... CONGRATS!

Old 10-13-2011 | 04:21 PM
v2Bob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Herby74
... (10) currently disappointed in the mph I'm seeing ...
Do you mean miles per gallon? Thanks for the report.

Old 10-13-2011 | 05:21 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Not sure if this is making things better or worse while I'm still waiting.