R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 MotorTober - what are they telling you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011 | 01:27 PM
hoppes-no9
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by glennaa11
or it could mean that they just don't understand the program yet either.

But at this point I believe my dealer will honor it since they told me they would and I have it in writing on the order sheet and a couple of emails.

Glenn -- is it possible your dealer has you in the queue but has not actually placed your order? Sounds like you ordered it very recently, perhaps the dealership held back recent orders so customers could take advantage of the offer.

Old 10-19-2011 | 01:32 PM
kbeaner522
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by glennaa11
or it could mean that they just don't understand the program yet either.

But at this point I believe my dealer will honor it since they told me they would and I have it in writing on the order sheet and a couple of emails.
My car has been sitting at the dealership since Monday, it's physically here. They better honor the money off, or I'm going to be incredibly pissed having to wait a week for nothing. I also have it in writing that they are giving me the $750 off.

Old 10-19-2011 | 03:35 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
That is very bad policy by MINI USA, if true. So somebody can go to Motor-tober then buy a Coupe off the lot and get $750 off. But those of us who ordered our Coupes back in early AUGUST, and won't have our MINIs for weeks still, don't get the discount? That's wrong.

Old 10-19-2011 | 04:10 PM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hoppes-no9
Glenn -- is it possible your dealer has you in the queue but has not actually placed your order? Sounds like you ordered it very recently, perhaps the dealership held back recent orders so customers could take advantage of the offer.
I placed my order last week. So maybe it applies to "sales" from October onwards or something? I dunno. The order is in the system. I have a production number. From the OL it looks like my car is taking the place of one from dealer "inventory" as the original specs in the OL were for a CR coupe instead of my LG but updated after a couple of days.

I specifically asked the MA if this thing applied to orders and not just vehicles in stock and was told it would apply to orders. Now whether that means to all orders or just my order I don't know.

Old 10-19-2011 | 04:59 PM
kbeaner522
|
2nd Gear
My order was in September, so I'm not sure what rules they are going by. Sounds like each dealer is doing whatever they want. I would fight for the money if you haven't taken possession yet!

Old 10-19-2011 | 07:47 PM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
Maybe this will shed some light. I just got a mailer in the post from one of the local dealers. Here are the conditions stated in the fine print of the $750 offer:

A) customers must attend one MINI Motor-Tober Best Test Drive Event at a participating MINI dealer
B) customers must register at the event upon arrival (registration at the event is required; online pre-registration does not qualify), and
C) customer must purchase or lease a new 2011 or 2012 MINI model and must take delivery between the date of the MINI Motor-Tober Best Test Drive Event attended and January 3, 2012.
Offer valid to the recipient whose name is on the email/letter/certificate or any family member residing within the same household only and may not be transferred. Proof of identification/residency is required. Pre-owned and MINI NEXT vehicles do not qualify. Options may be limited due to product availability at time of purchase.

So it sounds like taking delivery is what matters.

Old 10-20-2011 | 08:50 AM
tommy13
1st Gear
Since Mini has now fully made a mess, you would think that a dealership would just throw in the Tober $750 discount from their end to not lose a sale that had been already locked up (and then possibly try to get reimbursement from Corporate). Not a well-conceived plan here.

Old 10-25-2011 | 08:00 AM
F1racegirl
2nd Gear
I attended my dealer's event on Saturday. Any idea how long it takes to get a certificate? My car is due in about 2 weeks. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2011 | 08:09 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
I got the email the next morning.

Old 10-25-2011 | 08:19 AM
F1racegirl
2nd Gear
My MA made it sound as if I may or may not get the certificate since I already have a car on order. He specifically told me not to say anything about it when I was registering. I guess it wouldn't hurt to follow up with him about the certificate. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2011 | 08:34 AM
Cred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by F1racegirl
I attended my dealer's event on Saturday. Any idea how long it takes to get a certificate? My car is due in about 2 weeks. Thanks!
I was told should get something by Friday or Saturday of this week in an email.
I've been checking and nothing yet...

Old 10-25-2011 | 08:35 AM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
Mine came a day or so later in the email. The woman who entered my info into the computer system told me to forward a copy to my MA and also print a copy to bring with me.

Old 10-25-2011 | 08:39 AM
F1racegirl
2nd Gear
They took everything down on a paper form - no computers. I figured it would take them a couple of days to get everything entered. I'll sit tight for awhile and hopefully I'll get the email by the end of the week.

Old 10-25-2011 | 03:08 PM
Cred
4th Gear
They took everything down on a paper form - no computers. I figured it would take them a couple of days to get everything entered. I'll sit tight for awhile and hopefully I'll get the email by the end of the week.
I just got my certificate emailed to me today. I would expect that you shoud see yours soon too.

Old 10-25-2011 | 04:20 PM
novelle
Neutral
Currently in the process of shopping at various dealers to get the best deal on a custom order. It has been a very frustrating ordeal going from one dealer to another to see if they will beat the other offer. They all say they don't want to play the game but yet they're not willing to give you their "best" price. It's always by increments of a $100 or so and force you into being a ping pong. One dealer at first told me they will honor the tober motor certificate, now they're saying that the certificate does not apply to custom orders but only for cars on the lot. But reading this thread it seems like that's total BS. Also they said the wait time is around 10 weeks so by the time I take possession of the car it will be past the deadline. Now why would MINI USA offer a promotion but not allow time for people to take advantage of it? The Motor Tober event at my local dealer is not until this coming Friday 10/28. It's a crock if they don't allow time to actually use the certificate toward a new car purchase, custom order or not.

Last edited by novelle; 10-26-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2011 | 05:05 PM
Cred
4th Gear
novelle-
They are not being up-right with you. You need to find a better dealer that doesn't play these games or at least to this extent.
There are several great dealerships out there and you will find some threads on NAM where people rave about them. I am happy with my dealership and they have been nothing but fantastic so far.
Post the area where you live and hopefully someone will give you a recommendation.

Old 10-25-2011 | 05:09 PM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
it definitely seems like this program has been a bit of a clusterf$@%. FWIW, I specifically asked my MA about whether it had to be an in-stock vehicle or if it applied to orders and his answer was very clear that it applies to custom orders. The T&C on the certificate make no mention of having to take the car from stock. However, it does say that you must take delivery by a certain date. If it's really 10 weeks for that dealer you will miss the deadline. I suppose that depends on your location and their allocation. Both dealers I visited here in DC told me 6-8 weeks. And the schedule for my order seems to be about on that timeframe or a little bit ahead.

It's a shame that so many dealers are messing with people. Since this is a MINI program the dealer shouldn't be out any money on the deal. And they also make a very handsome profit on these cars anyway, especially all of you guys buying JCWs!

Old 10-25-2011 | 06:02 PM
novelle
Neutral
Cred, I'm in the SF bay area. I know this is a tough market to get a good deal. Looking at edmunds and truecar websites, people are paying MSRP. Still, I just don't like to be jacked around concerning this program. It's the old bait and switch and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. If I didn't have my heart set on a mini, I would seriously consider waiting for the Abarth. The fiat guys were much more on the level when I test drove the 500 last spring.

Old 10-25-2011 | 07:40 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
The stated terms and conditions on the $750 certificate do no exclude pre-ordered or ordered cars. Make the dealer show where they see terms and conditions contrary to that.

Old 10-25-2011 | 10:27 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
I got mine the next day too.

Old 10-25-2011 | 10:42 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
I ordered my car on Saturday at my dealer's Motor-tober event and I'm getting the $750 discount. I'm ALSO getting $1,150 off the MSRP for a total savings of $1,850. Don't believe them if they tell you it's only good on in stock cars or that they don't discount ordered cars. Yes, you have to be a ping ping ball as someone said earlier, but I did my "ping ponging" from my home on my computer through emails. My dealer also told me that if the car wasn't delivered by the 1/3/12 deadline, they would make good on the $750. In fact, I have a copy of the order form, signed by the dealership manager, that shows the MSRP as $32,500 and "Negotiated price" as $30,650. They also gave me a production slot for next week. If definitely pays to negotiate. I'm very happy with the deal I got. I should mention that I have 9 MINI dealers within 50 miles of where I live and the fact there is lots of competition helps in the negotiations. If you only have one dealer within reasonable driving distance it may be a lot tougher to negotiate a good deal.

Old 10-28-2011 | 03:21 PM
giarmdok
2nd Gear
I ordered a new Coupe S this Thursday at my dealer's Motor-tober event. I got a commitment from my MA and the Sales MAanger that if the car doesn't arrive by January 3rd that they would honor it. Which at this point is likely as I may not get a production slot until December and I am a West Coast port area.

Old 10-31-2011 | 01:05 PM
F1racegirl
2nd Gear
Still no certificate here and just runaround from my MA. He said that no one from their event has received a certificate yet. I tried calling 866-ASK-MINI and they were no help either.

My car, as far as I know based on my research, is en-route to St. Louis - however no ETA from my MA.

Next step is contacting the sales manager, then maybe a post on their Facebook page.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 10-31-2011 | 01:56 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
F1racegirl, go straight to the dealer manager, don't mess with the subordinates. Get the name of MINI USA's head of customer service and tell the dealer manager that your next step is contacting that guy.

Old 10-31-2011 | 01:59 PM
F1racegirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BrewSwapGuy
F1racegirl, go straight to the dealer manager, don't mess with the subordinates. Get the name of MINI USA's head of customer service and tell the dealer manager that your next step is contacting that guy.
I guess I'm tryng to be too nice. Just sent an e-mail to the sales manager, if no good answer I'll move to the top of the ladder. Thanks!

Quick Reply: R58 MotorTober - what are they telling you?