R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Do you wear a bra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011 | 09:40 AM
Huck
|
1st Gear
Do you wear a bra?

Thinking of getting my wife a bra for Christmas. for the Mini Coupe, of course, (though I guess I could get them both...?)

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with how bras work out in terms of trapping dirt or debris doing any kind of damage to the bodywork (talking about the Mini here). I'm sure there are lots of pros to having one, just wondering if there are any cons?

Huck

Old 11-15-2011 | 11:00 AM
artguy
2nd Gear
I would go with clear film/clearbra/insert name here. It's well worth the cost versus a "traditional" bra. With the removable style you have to be careful you don't get moisture trapped underneath or you'll muck up the finish - plus they can trap micro particles of dirt from the road which can jiggle around under there creating havoc as well.

I have had the clear 3m film on every one of my 5 MINIs, and it has kept their noses looking brand new. I had it installed on the coupe, and here in New England I wouldn't trust anything else versus road salt, rocks etc...

My 2¢

Kurt

Old 11-15-2011 | 02:17 PM
Huck
|
1st Gear
That's what I was wondering

It seems like the traditional bra would be a problem, but I'm not sure that clear film bras give much protection from dents, right?

Huck

Old 11-15-2011 | 02:17 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
The only experience I've had with the vinyl leather looking bra's has been that they trap dirt and moisture like stated above. Of course this was back in the 1980's and I suppose (or would hope) there have been advances in design since then. I don't have any experience with the 3M stuff or any other invisible bra's but they sound like a good idea to me.

Old 11-15-2011 | 03:06 PM
boxter4ever
3rd Gear
3m is the best!

Old 11-15-2011 | 05:24 PM
indymidnight
1st Gear
I have had both and I would not recommend the vinyl type bra... you must remove when there is moisture and it does trap grit. The clearbra is more expensive, but is virtually maintenance free.

Old 11-15-2011 | 07:06 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
No bra will protect against dents, really. And due to the issues with traditional bras trapping debris & moisture that can ruin the paint, I'd go clear bra if you're considering front end protection. Clear bras can yellow over time, wax can get stuck in the edges, and the edges will eventually start to peel away from the car, but it usually takes a good while (several years, minimum).

Just don't let anyone (dealer) fool you into thinking you have to pay $1k or more for the clear bra installation. Check around. Last time I considered it, I got a quote for under $500. Independent window tint installers & vinyl graphics shops usually do ths sort of work. Just get referrals for someone local to you.

Old 11-15-2011 | 07:21 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
When I bought my used 2003 it came with an older clear bra that began to show splits and cracks within a few months. I don't know what brand it was; It could have been 3M or not. No record of it appears on the prev owner's records. Anyway, now it's a mess of large splits and cracks that have filled in with dirt. I'm going to have to hire a shop to remove it (after a list of more pressing and expensive repairs). Hopefully the paint underneath and between the film is relatively undamaged. Most people seem to like this sort of product but for me it turned ugly at the end of its lifespan and is now an eyesore.

Last edited by Stanislaus; 11-15-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: fixed redundancy
Old 11-16-2011 | 08:54 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
The vinyl bras are garbage (my wife bought one for her Mazda3 and I threw it away). I don't have a clear one but I'd consider a good one (3m), just to the upper headlight level (no higher). That's where I get little paint dings. I don't have many in almost 5 years, but they occur low on the front of the car. If it cost me over $500 I think I'd skip it, but I don't acquire a lot of dings. Just my .02.

Old 11-16-2011 | 06:57 PM
ericsnyder
2nd Gear
I have had 3 Mini's and bought bra's for all three of them. Never had a issue with any of my bra's scratching my paint or discoloring it. I have had my bra on while driving to Myrtle beach and caught in many rain storms, and just made a point to take it off as soon as I got to the beach. Clear bra's are great to protect against chip from small rocks, but I have seen some cars with the clear bra that still have had small dents due to rock damage. I have been hit with some good size stones and no marks or dents. I think the bra's provide the best protection.

Old 11-16-2011 | 07:06 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
I have the clear bra for my MINI (I did only get it Saturday..) but I see no rock chips whatsoever. I test one forever ago that didn't have one and all I saw were rock chips. I always say if you value your paint, it's a good idea.