R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Opinions on All Season Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011 | 01:54 PM
tcassa
|
2nd Gear
Opinions on All Season Run Flats

I live in Northern Utah where our winters have been know to get quite a bit of snow. In my 05 justa, I always swapped the run flats for actual winter tires. On the new coupe S, I went with the All-Season RFs. I am wondering how the all season tires do in winter conditions. So I guess this is a question for those owners in wintery states. Have you tried these all season tires on winter roads yet or have you swapped them for winter tires. As a followup question, which winter tires did you go with?

Old 12-09-2011 | 04:51 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
All seasons are the epitome of compromise in a tire. They are optimal for nothing, and suck at most everything else. At least with winter tires and summer tires they are optimal for their respective conditions. All seasons are OK for cars that are just appliances, but I don't get the point of having them on performance-oriented cars.

I just bought a new car a week ago. First thing I did was put snow tires on it (Bridgestone Blizzak LM60). In spring I'll put the extreme summer tires it came with back on (but probably on a new set of Enkei Racing wheels). All seasons weren't even considered.

Old 12-09-2011 | 08:21 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
I've got the all-seasons. I've never used snow tires in my entire life (never had DSC or DTC either), always lived in a snow-ridden climate, and have never had any issues. IMHO if you can drive in the snow, you can drive fine with bald tires; if you can't drive in the snow, the fanciest snow tires on earth will not save you.

I haven't had to actually drive in the snow with mine yet, but these are probably the best tires I've had going into a winter, so I've got no worries at all.

Old 12-09-2011 | 08:37 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gloomchen
I've got the all-seasons. I've never used snow tires in my entire life (never had DSC or DTC either), always lived in a snow-ridden climate, and have never had any issues. IMHO if you can drive in the snow, you can drive fine with bald tires; if you can't drive in the snow, the fanciest snow tires on earth will not save you.

I haven't had to actually drive in the snow with mine yet, but these are probably the best tires I've had going into a winter, so I've got no worries at all.
I have to echo this as well. We don't get a lot of snow in the Seattle area but when we do it's a pain. In both of our Mini's we use all season run flats and have no problem at all. We use the Conti all season RF and have never ever got stuck at all. I took the summer tread off my JCW Coupe and put the Conti Non Run Flat all season for my winter tires. They work great, handle great and handle the rain real well. I have not had the opportunity to use them in snow yet but I suspect they will be just fine.

I suppose I could have bought snow tires and maybe should have but with the all seasons I can use them all year round. Clearly snow tires will work better then all seasons but I prefer the versatility of the all seasons. And I just don't have a problem getting around in snow.

Well there you have it my experience.

Old 12-09-2011 | 09:28 PM
steste1122
1st Gear
Mine came with all season tires. Havent had any snow here in Arkansas yet, but I bet they will handle it just fine.

Old 12-14-2011 | 01:57 PM
WGPS10V8
Neutral
I had the contiprocontact ssr all seasons on my car and drove for about 3 snows on them. They worked good as I could controll the car fine with snow that has been driven on for a day or snow that has been falling on the ground when the air has been below freezing for a while. Where they get slippery (dangeous) is when it first snows and the temp is around 32. Overall they worked well on powder snow, But here in SD it can snow 8 months out of the year I figured I would get a set of snow tires. I have noticed a big difference in handling on dry pavement as the snows are say squishy feeling.

Old 12-15-2011 | 05:44 PM
wingding
2nd Gear
Waiting on the first snow also. Had the car a week with the all season run flats. I'm in WV last year I made it with a 2wd F150 no problems. If I could handle the snow in my pickup this car with front wheel drive and limited slip should be a dream...

Old 12-15-2011 | 09:24 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
What kind of limited slip do you have?