R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 auto up??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012 | 07:08 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
I think the lack of auto up on the coupe and inevitably on the roadster is the fact that it was based on the convertible, which never got auto-up IIRC. Should be pretty easy with NCS expert and a fellow MINI owner who has done it.

Old 01-26-2012 | 09:50 AM
tommy13
1st Gear
If that's true, then the SmartTop would probably work for it. I've had one in my Benz for years, and it's been a lifesaver. It's what I would get if and when I do pull the trigger on a Roadster.

Old 01-26-2012 | 08:11 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
That's odd about the auto-up windows. I'm pretty sure Canadian R58s have the auto-up programmed in. As I recall, when test driving a Coupe S, auto-down and -up worked on both windows.

When I get mine in March, I'll have a test and report back.

Old 01-27-2012 | 08:31 AM
gatorgreg
1st Gear
Hey BillTheCat,

I didn't think to add support for the auto-on fog lights, didn't realize folks do that. Maybe I should use my fog lights more often I will consider this feature as well.

As for the car not having auto-up, I too was surprised when I heard inclinations of that here on NAM. I recently contacted the dealer and they confirmed that the coupe does not have auto-up. Kinda strange that they don't support that seeings how other mini models do.

Old 02-02-2012 | 01:43 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gatorgreg
Fellow Mini Coupe Fans/Owners,

I am thinking about designing a control module that can do the "auto-up" function as well as a "passenger side mirror auto tilt down function(when in reverse). The higher- end BMWs have the side mirror function and it is a life saver (use it all the time when driving my M3 -it really helps you keep from hitting curbs when parallel parking, them wheels can be expensive to repair! I don't want to damage my new coupe so I need it!).

With that said, I was wondering if there were any other "nits" that could be addressed with such a module? I heard that you have to keep pressing the sport button every time you start the car - maybe a function to automatically turn that on might be desired? My coupe starts production today btw! I currently have a 04 MCS to experiment with and developer new in-car devices (at least until a buyer comes forward). I hope to make my new coupe do exactly what I want it to with a new design and if it works out, perhaps I will market it to the general public.

Note: I am the person who designed the "Brake Light Pulsar" currently being sold on a few mini internet sites (including gominigo.com and others). If you have that unit, allow me simply thank you for purchase and hope it has saved your "boot" a few times .

Cheers,
Gatorgreg
Check the NCSExpert thread about the auto-up. You should not need a module to program it in but I don't watch that thread to know if someone has tested it out yet.

With regards to the Sport Mode, you can do that with the FES AutoSport Plus module. I have one but haven't had a chance to install it yet. Of course having one module do everything would be nice..

I like the idea of auto-down side mirrors... doesn't seem like anyone has been able to set that up using NCS Expert. I dinged my wheel the first week of ownership.

I like the blinking tail light - nice of MINI to include the feature as standard on the newer MINIs.

Old 11-11-2012 | 12:18 AM
Chriscj99
1st Gear
I've been trying to do research on the one-touch window feature (auto up/down) and this is the most progress I've found. I just traded in my 2010 Cooper Clubman and THAT had one-touch window up AND down. Not sure why my new R58 doesn't have it... I'll ask the dealer to see, because I really liked that feature.