R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Regretting purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Johnwes12
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regretting purchase.

I wish I could say that I love my Coupe as much as so many of you have expressed. However mine has been troublesome from the start. I picked him up on December 19th after 3 months of loooong waiting. When I first saw it I couldn't believe it. It was more amazing in person than any picture I could see. And it drove like a dream.....for about a week. Then it started. (and I'll keep the rest short....or try to)
I began to notice an annoying rattle coming from the rear. Which progressively got worse day by day. I tried everything, from the trunk covers to license plate and frame. Nothing helped so I took it in to the dealer. They kept it for 5 hours and said it was the license plate and that they "fixed it". I was skeptical but began the 1.5 hour trek back to the dealership. I didn't even get to the end of the dealer driveway when the rattle presented itself in full force. I had to schedule another appointment with service 2 weeks later as the department was closed when I picked up my car. Fast forward two weeks and 9 hours of my time later, I take it in again. This time they keep it for two days and discover that the rear hatch strike plate is defective. They replace it. Rattle goes away. Yay!!! I actually enjoy driving my car for about 2 weeks. Then I get an audible low or no oil pressure alert and am instructed to stop driving immediately. I call mini. They send a tow and loaner to me this time and am once again without my car. I've made one car payment and it's been in the shop 3 times in 2 months and 5 days. I know these cars are "quirky" but it's been so disappointing to own and really almost wish I hadn't purchased this car. I know there is nothing I can do and I'm really just venting. But I figured I'd get some support. I really hope when it comes back it will be much smoother sailing. But for now I'm a sad mini owner.

Last edited by Johnwes12; 02-27-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
Try to stay optimistic. These things happen regardless of what you buy. I have a 2012 Countryman with 4000 miles on it and not one issue to-date.

I had a brand new 2009 Toyota Tacoma that was in the shop 15 times the first year I owned it. It had the transmission replaced, a spark plug blew out of the engine block because the head was not threaded completely, electronic issues, etc. etc.

A rattle can be annoying but really is not a big deal. With a little perseverance, some investigative work, and double sided foam tape you can usually get the noises to go away.

Who knows what the oil pressure light could mean, could just be a bad sensor. Remember that cars today are 75 percent electronic and usually electronics fail early or don't fail at all. Hopefully once you get the bugs worked out you won't have another problem for your entire ownership.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 PM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope it goes better for you. My 2012 MCS is 2 months old, and it's currently in the shop for a bad thermostat. A brand new car...and the stupid thing wouldn't start! I'm hoping the problem is fixed for good, because I'm going to be pissed if I have an unreliable BRAND NEW car! Good luck to you!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Johnwes12
2nd Gear
@b&WCM: yeah thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure it's a sensor. Because the car sounded fine. Nothing to lead me to believe that I was losing pressure. Although the idle was a bit rough at times. Not major. But I do hope this is the end of my problems.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnwes12
I know there is nothing I can do and I'm really just venting.
There is something you can do if they cant fix it............http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

My wife has just over a 1000 miles on hers,no problems.After reading a lot of stuff here,could make a person nevous about owning one.

Hope your dealer gets it squared away with no problems.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:58 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You bought the first gen of a new model, it is likely going to have issues. You are under warranty and although it sucks, that is what it is for. Hopefully they will get you sorted soon.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
I'm sorry to hear about your issues but like others have said try to remain up about it. I imagine it is something as simple as a sensor.

My car prior to the Coupe was an 06 Jeep Liberty. Literally the same week I bought it it developed an annoying (an unnerving at highway speeds) tick where it felt like all fuel was being cut off from the engine and the car would lurch badly. Ended up being a bad sensor. I owned it for 6 years and replaced the electronic windows regulators at least 8 times. 5 times out of pocket. Luckily they finally (after 4 years) did a retroactive recall and I got my money back. Regardless I really liked the Jeep and it did it's job well.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Hang with it. They'll get all the bugs out and you'll be good to go and enjoying every minute of it. You might even forget you had a few mishaps.
Thermostat is an issue. I believe it's more the sensor. Let us know.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Cred
4th Gear
It can be very disappointing getting a new car and having problems. Hopefully your problems will be short and you will be back to motoring again.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Sorry to hear about your early & repeated troubles. At least they did sort out the rattle issue (it would seem). So the oil issue is something new & different. With any luck, they sort that out on the first shot & you don't visit the dealer again until your 1st oil service is due.

If it helps your hopes any, I have 10k miles on my MCS Coupé, and the only glitch has been the Sirius occasionally tuning into "Hits 1" on its own & getting stuck there for a few hours.

Please keep us informed as to how your dealer handles the oil pressure problem, and what the diagnosis/fix is.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Johnwes12
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone. I should hear at least something from the dealer today. Hopefully I can pick it up!!! :-) they gave me a 3 series BMW and I gotta say, I can't stand it. I want my mini back.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't buy new. I bought a 2002 MCS with all kinds of mods. I test drove her, and left with her within a half hour.
MY MISTAKE was not having the car checked out! New clutch, flywheel, tranny, axles, wheels, and other goodies, and she's running like a champ!
I screwed up when I bought my MINI, but she has turned into my Dream car!
I've had a hard time staying optimistic. Every time I drive her, I have that thought in the back of my head; "what's going to go wrong now??"
Since you bought new, it's crap you have to go thru all of this. I kind of asked for all my problems by being impatient. You on the other hand don't deserve the trouble you're going thru!
All I can say, is just stick with it. If all the bugs are worked out, you'll never want anything else!
It seems you can't be a REAL MINI owner, without some horror stories!!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Keep your chin up! My little guy had something similar happen the day after I made my first payment. Talk about a punch in the gut, huh? Was a bad thermostat sensor, smooth motoring ever since!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Quirky little rascals aren't they but oh so fun.
Once you get all the bugs worked out you're good to go.
I suspect it can happen to any car now a days but when buying used (which is what I did on my Mini), I expected some things to go so I was
ready for it.
Well worth hanging in there. I've always wanted a Mini but they were out of my price range until Nimbley came along.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Johnwes12
2nd Gear
OK so I'm staying as positive as I can about it. They have "resolved" the problem 3 times now. They are doing extensive test drives each time and all is well up until they pull back into the dealership and the alert comes back on. At least it is happening there and not after returning it to me. I gotta say the dealership is being quite thorough and at least I have a good loaner. But I just want my Mini back. Still hanging in there. We'll see what tomorrow presents.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
The fact that they are able to replicate the problem is a hopeful sign. w00t.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Beach Girl Lynn
5th Gear
I got a new Clubman when they first came out and the first thing that happened was an annoying rattle in the back seat. I took it in to the dealership which for me was an hour and half drive from Myrtle Beach to Charleston. They fixed it and brought it back to me which was great. But then it started again and they had to fix it again - I think something wasn't connected back when they took the back seat out. Next thing that happened was the extra "door" that's on the passenger side stuck and wouldn't open. It took two tries to fix this too. Since it was a new concept and it happened to a lot of them they had to figure out what to do. But they did and once the kinks were worked out I enjoyed my Clubman for3 years before I traded it in for the CM. Well had my CM for 3 or 4 months and it quit on me in the middle of the road! Turned out it ran out of gas! There was a malfunctioning sensor part! But the car was towed to the shop and then brought back to me! No problems since - knock on wood! Love my CM!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Johnwes12
2nd Gear
Well I got my car back Saturday morning. I was and am a bit reluctant on the fix. But so far so good. They couldn't find anything physically wrong. The oil pressure was fine and everything checked out. They flashed the computer and reprogrammed it with the latest firmware. So far this has worked. I am very happy to have my car back. I missed it the week it was out. I hope my troubles are behind me. Thanks for the support.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Well I got my car back Saturday morning. I was and am a bit reluctant on the fix. But so far so good. They couldn't find anything physically wrong. The oil pressure was fine and everything checked out. They flashed the computer and reprogrammed it with the latest firmware. So far this has worked. I am very happy to have my car back. I missed it the week it was out. I hope my troubles are behind me. Thanks for the support.
Sure hope your troubles are behind you now. It can be frustrating I'm sure.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Cred
4th Gear
Its 5 days later. I hope all is well with your coupe! I am guessing no news is good news.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Just be glad you didn't get a $100,000 Fisker.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 89AKurt
Just be glad you didn't get a $100,000 Fisker.
Funny you say that.Friday my wife told she say one parked at her banks parking lot.
It had to be towed away!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Johnwes12
2nd Gear
OK i have an update.. Sorry it's been a busy week. So I got the car back nearly 2 weeks ago Saturday. I made it until this past Friday when "ding" low oil pressure....AGAIN!!! It only went off once and never came back on all weekend. Yesterday they sent a loaner to me and took my car away again. My SA called me today and said that this time they actually found the problem apparently the oil pressure control valve is faulty. They ordered it and should be replacing it tomorrow. Annoying thing is that they had my car an entire week and found nothing. This time they had it for 5 hours before they figured it out. Anyway, it's being replaced and now. I hope that this marks the end of this car's drama and I can start to actually enjoy it.