R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Minor problems with R58

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012 | 06:35 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
I will have to say I have had none of these problems. I took delivery at the end of Sept. So my Coupe' was one that came without paddle shifters. They were dealer installed later. Other than that, no problems. I really love this Coupe'!!

Old 07-07-2012 | 10:36 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by snek
I just got back from my dealer service. Their write up: "Vehicle has been in before with the same issue. Last visit we determined all R58 models have this wind noise at highway speeds. I checked for possible updated door perimeter seals, no updated parts are available at this time."

Well thats a load of BS, I took mine in with the same issue on the passenger side...although i never really heard wind noise, but my passengers always said it sounded like the window was cracked open. (MINI's have noisey cabins in general, not the quietest car around)

Basically the service write up says they heard it, and removed the ENTIRE door panel to adjust the window to fix the problem. I'm shocked they went through all that to fix it haha

Old 08-07-2012 | 09:22 AM
jmatero
2nd Gear
So funny. That was the FIRST thing I noticed test driving a coupe this weekend. Sounded like the window was slightly cracked but was full up. I've had this happen on other frameless cars and there is actually a guide in the door panel that determines how far inward the window rises. When adjusted slightly, the window presses more firmly against the seals on the body. Wonder if that's what did the trick for you and why they removed the door panel.

One way to check would be to attach a suction cup device holder to the inside of the window and pull. If the sound stops, the guide needs to be adjusted.

Old 08-07-2012 | 09:45 AM
snek
2nd Gear
After giving the dealer an unfavorable review in the follow up e-mail survey, suddenly they offered to replace the passenger side molding. They've the car for two days now...

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:49 PM
Chor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by snek
After giving the dealer an unfavorable review in the follow up e-mail survey, suddenly they offered to replace the passenger side molding. They've the car for two days now...

Who is your dealer Snek?

Old 08-07-2012 | 01:42 PM
snek
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chor
Who is your dealer Snek?
MINI of Peabody. It's gonna be 3 days now, because the replacement molding is too dense for the door to shut properly

Old 08-15-2012 | 05:14 AM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DAVESTER
I had Conti Extreme AWS installed before I left the dealership upon delivery. The steering wanders at 35 or 80mph on a smooth, flat surface.
It's just a constant correction while driving which is a PITA. Wonder if adjusting the toe in a tad would help?
What you are describing with your radio, thats what mine is doing---
Davester, Just checking to see if you got the wandering problem fixed??

Old 08-15-2012 | 05:33 AM
Chor
1st Gear
Update

I have had my JCW one month now, hit 2000 trouble-free miles last night.
My only irk is the Cosmoline sludge, but I purchased Cosmonot this week and I am going to apply it to the problem areas this weekend. If no joy there I will ask the dealer to flush it.

Old 08-15-2012 | 09:04 AM
DAVESTER
|
4th Gear
I increased the air pressure from 34 to 39 psi and it helped a lot. However, the ride quality has suffered somewhat.

Old 09-09-2012 | 04:47 PM
RuleTheBends
1st Gear
I just took my coupe in last week for defective molding on the drivers side and a horrible rattle in the trunk that just kept getting worse and worse. i thought something was going to fall off. but this is not the first time i have had the trunk rattle problem in our 09 mcs the dealer beat the crap out of the car and we did not realize the damage they did until we sold it. they caused a bulge that rubbed up against the license plate and took off a 5 inch circle of paint and stripe down to metal. our 06 mcs was the only perfect one we ever had. but back to fixing the coupe trunk they adjusting striker plate and put felt tape on the upper ring thing to keep it from further rattling. it does not rattle now my trunk light comes every other day (even when it hasn't been opened for days) i have to stop and slam it shut. i guess it is going back. how annoying.

Old 09-09-2012 | 06:40 PM
Marioalex24
3rd Gear
Man that suck. Alot of small issues. I guess the put together isn't the greatest quality because they over look all these issues. I wonder if they figure a fix for 2013 models. I guess well find out after ppl start getting there's and see if they report any problems.

Old 09-10-2012 | 12:21 PM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
I put some electrical tape on the trunk latch loop and that solved my trunk rattle. But I can see that will be a never-ending battle as the tape is alredy fraying a bit. I need to take mine in to get the driver's side wind noise worked on though anyway so I will see if they are able to fix both issues. Just a matter of finding a good time to take it over there.

Old 09-10-2012 | 02:04 PM
Rejeme
2nd Gear
When I first got my coupe I heard a sound that I thought was wind noise. After replacing the all season run flats with non run flats, the noise is absent.

Old 09-11-2012 | 04:22 PM
lilcoopr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BillTheCat
I can tell you that both James Day and I have had our Sirius channel memory temporarily disappear. When this happens to me, I get stuck on a POS channel called "Hits 1" or something like that. Usually only lasts a few hours, but it is annoying. Goes back to normal on its own for no good reason.
OMG I have the *same* annoying "hits 1" problem. I will turn on the car as normal, drive out of my underground parking, Sirius will find the satellite and it will be obscenely awful pop music. No matter what buttons I press, I cannot search for other stations and cannot listen to my presets. This lasts until I turn off then on the car but if I stop at a light during a long trip hoping to quickly turn ignition off then on it will not fix it. But a quick stop running an errand will do the trick and everything is back to normal. The dealership thinks I'm insane since they cannot reproduce it. I'd say it has happened since day 1 every 20-25 days/times I turn the car on. As an audiophile this drives me bananas. Oh and I am the only driver and only use one key so clearly that's not the issue here.

Other than that, the last 9 months of Coupe ownership have been great. Window trim around the passenger window looks a little ruffled since delivery but doesn't impact rattles or wind noise only aesthetically not pleasing. I am too scared to have it fixed incase a rattle or other problem pop up as a result. Oh and I am getting a bit of a boot rattle lately. Sounds like the hatch is not closed all the way.

Anyone else feel the hatch is too heavy? I am a fit girl, bench pressing 80lbs easily but find one handed open and close kinda uncomfortable especially with lots of groceries in hand. The trunk on my old Acura rsx (comparing based on Coupe like style of car) opened more automatically with less effort. This is my 3rd MINI. Almost shattered the back glass of my boyfriends (my old) R53 since I am so used to putting muscle into closing it!

Old 09-11-2012 | 05:15 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Haha thats too funny! I slam the hatch on my R50 all the time because I'm accustomed to the heavy R58 hatch. Poor car has been through enough haha.

Old 11-17-2012 | 04:52 AM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
My car is starting to make creaking, rattling and buzzing noises from the dash area and trunk area. I know it's common for these cars but was hoping mine was an exception. If i close my eyes it reminds me of driving a 1975 F150 off road at times! (Well maybe not that bad)

Old 11-17-2012 | 06:17 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
The trunk rattle is the one issue that I have had with my R58....on and off for the last year and at times it has made me crazy. Having the lock replaced didn't turn out to be a permanent solution. After first trying electrical tape, I put the fuzzy side of a sticky velcro strip just long enough to fit around the fixed part of the lock on the lid and it appears to have done the trick. I smile a lot more now when I'm motoring!