R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Insulation under hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:12 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March build , factory stripes, no insulation

Old 05-23-2012, 04:18 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DesertDog
Factory stripes , no insulation, build date 8/11
Originally Posted by Lil Maky
Took delivery Friday in Seattle. 04/2012 Build, Factory Stripes, NO insulation
Originally Posted by MY4thMINI
March build , factory stripes, no insulation
Thanks guys, I will forward this to my MA and see if he can keep digging for some answers. Aside from DesertDog's 8/11 build, we have two recent builds with no insulation. Obviously what we were told doesn't hold up

-Steven

Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM
LTLMCPE
3rd Gear
I also have factory stripes and no insulation. 8/2011 build.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
Seems location is not a factor. Mine was purchased in Ohio at Classic MINI

Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM
PatrickKB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MY4thMINI
Seems location is not a factor. Mine was purchased in Ohio at Classic MINI
I purchased mine at Classic Mini also 27 days before MY4thMINI both have factory strips mine has insulation and his does not.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
5/23/12 Dealer Reply

Hi guys,

I sent what info. I had on the "factory stripes/no insulation" to my MA this am. He was kind enough to reply "Hello Steven,
Ok, I really am confused by this now as well. If they were to go with all S and JCW models with the sport stripes, someone is really sleeping at the wheel. We have the hood insulation in stock now. Jim our parts manager tested the fit on a S Coupe we have that has factory installed sport stripes, but no insulation. It does fit, although it does not have an opening for the air scoop. (looks like cutting an opening is as easy as following the imprint in the insulation). I wanted to let you know that if you would like to get the insulation, it is available. As far as to why it does or does not have the insulation from the factory… I think if I ask 6 people, I will get 5 different answers! I will keep you posted if anything other information comes up!"

I will try and follow up tomorrow and see if I can get actual part numbers, for those who may want to order.

-Steven

Old 05-23-2012, 07:35 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great info, Steven
Does the insulation have the heat shield? Or is that a separate part.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Great info, Steven
Does the insulation have the heat shield? Or is that a separate part.
I will try to get to the dealer and have a look at it and get part numbers. I'll let you know.

-Steven

Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Hood Insulation Installed

Hi gang-

My dealer got the hood insulation in, so I made an appointment and had them install it. When we looked at it together, I was surprised at the placement of the metallic heat shield. I thought I would see it over the turbo, however, as you can see, it sits across the back above the intake. I drove the Roadster for about 20 min. and stopped to check for hot spots with my hand. Strangely, the metallic shield above the intake is a really hot area. Checking the hood on the outside, nearly cool to touch...really happy about that , no hot spots anywhere. As you can see, the insulation covers nearly all the hood surface. I'm debating on whether to open the area that would vent to the scoop. I'll run this for a while and get a feel for it. Also, it was 87 degrees here today and I didn't notice the temp. gauge running any hotter at all. Nor did the fan seem to be running any more when I shut it off after a long drive. I was wondering about trapped heat.

Name:  _DSC3325.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  4.71 MB

Here are the part numbers for what we installed:

51 48 7 266 543 Heat Insulation (1)

51 48 1 915 964 Expanding Rivet (11)

-Steven

Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
This looks great and it appears that it works. I will be ordering tomarrow. Was the cost about what was quoted? Here's thanking you, Steven and your dealer

Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
I did not get the insulation either......so can this be ordered and installed at home or does the service center need to be involved? I am over two hours away (and a time zone change) from my dealer so it wold be real handy if it can be done at home. Would you mind Steven giving me an estimate of cost?
Thanks
MsBrit

Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 PM
johnf36
4th Gear
Looks great. But my question would be why do I have to order and pay for something that should have come on the car when purchased. If you pay 40k for a car it should come with all of its parts.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
I agree that this insulation should have come on the car, also I shouldn't have to pay for it, but I want to protect my hood. So for now I want the insulation ASAP. So it will cost me a few bucks now, and hopefully Mini will come through with a recall, in the meantime the hood is protected.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:41 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
This looks great and it appears that it works. I will be ordering tomarrow. Was the cost about what was quoted? Here's thanking you, Steven and your dealer
My MA was outstanding, following through and getting it done...can't thank him enough The cost was $145.00-insulation, $11.00- clips(11)
I did ask for a discount and they gave me one, although I would rather not say how much out of respect for the dealer.
Originally Posted by MsBrit
I did not get the insulation either......so can this be ordered and installed at home or does the service center need to be involved? I am over two hours away (and a time zone change) from my dealer so it wold be real handy if it can be done at home. Would you mind Steven giving me an estimate of cost?
Thanks
MsBrit
You could definitely do it at home, as it is held in place by the clips. They were done in ten minutes.
Originally Posted by johnf36
Looks great. But my question would be why do I have to order and pay for something that should have come on the car when purchased. If you pay 40k for a car it should come with all of its parts.
You're right, I feel it should have been on the car all along. However, after having my hood get really hot and a bird relieving itself on the hood and etching the paint, I'm glad to have it on there...even if it cost me a few bucks. Maybe eventually they add them to all builds, when that happens, I'll argue for a refund.

-Steven

Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
By the way, my MA is still trying to get something factual from Mini, if/when he does, I'll post it.

-Steven

Old 05-25-2012, 03:26 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
My son says that with Jeeps, the hood insulation is associated with either comfort or sound packages, it is more of a sound deadening thing than a heat shield. Which would line up with an early post about what those parts were called. So, if you guys post your packages or sound systems, you might solve your mystery.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:06 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
I have H/K sound upgrade.
No insulation

Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JoanieB
My son says that with Jeeps, the hood insulation is associated with either comfort or sound packages, it is more of a sound deadening thing than a heat shield. Which would line up with an early post about what those parts were called. So, if you guys post your packages or sound systems, you might solve your mystery.
I don't think it works like that, I have Tech, Premium and Cold packages, practically every damn option available and no factory insulation. There still does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way the factory is building these when it comes to the hood insulation.

-Steven

Old 05-25-2012, 08:22 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
The hole just gets deeper and deeper...
Sport package, Tech package w/ HK S non jwc.
Just let me know when the nightmare is over!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:44 AM
MsBrit
4th Gear
I have sent an email to my MA to see if he knows what's going on. I am also going to email my "customer service contact" at corporate. She has been a great help in the past with other issues I have had with my previous MINI's.

MsBrit

Old 05-26-2012, 01:01 PM
cjm
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BlueToy.
Yes, I bought that same heat insulation/shiled as I was concerned when Pigeon 'lime' was poached on my bonnet before I had chance to clean it off!
I was loaned a MINI ONE diesel when the dealer was trying to fix my N18 MCS cooling problems and the shiny bit is situated above where the turbo is located; high at the back of the engine in the diesel ONE. There's a similar piece of black insulator with raised metallic surface on the bulkhead protecting from the hot rear of the turbo, too.
It fits the MCS + keeps the bonnet wonderfully cool, but the lack of air holes means it wasn't designed for any MCS (as we know it, Jim). I've taken mine off as I'm about to tackle the dealer who's had two unsuccessful attempts to fix my almost-constant engine cooling fan (here in the UK!) and I know they'll try to bul**1t me that the extra-insulation's causing it!
It didn't raise or affect my engine temp (108C/226F) but then, nor has the cooling fan...

Old 05-26-2012, 03:24 PM
sgrundw
2nd Gear
Roadster S/April 2012 build/factory stripes/tech/premium/HK
No insulation.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cjm
BlueToy.
Yes, I bought that same heat insulation/shiled as I was concerned when Pigeon 'lime' was poached on my bonnet before I had chance to clean it off!
I was loaned a MINI ONE diesel when the dealer was trying to fix my N18 MCS cooling problems and the shiny bit is situated above where the turbo is located; high at the back of the engine in the diesel ONE. There's a similar piece of black insulator with raised metallic surface on the bulkhead protecting from the hot rear of the turbo, too.
It fits the MCS + keeps the bonnet wonderfully cool, but the lack of air holes means it wasn't designed for any MCS (as we know it, Jim). I've taken mine off as I'm about to tackle the dealer who's had two unsuccessful attempts to fix my almost-constant engine cooling fan (here in the UK!) and I know they'll try to bul**1t me that the extra-insulation's causing it!
It didn't raise or affect my engine temp (108C/226F) but then, nor has the cooling fan...
Thanks for the info.! Like I said, I'm a little confused about the heat shield being at the back, opposite the turbo. I feel good about keeping the heat off the paint Time will tell I hope.

Good luck getting your 'S' cooling fan sorted.

-Steven

Old 05-26-2012, 03:53 PM
cjm
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks BlueToy.
Go to a dealer + look under the bonnet of a ONE D. In the middle at the back where our air filter is (but smaller + lower) is the turbo that's why the silver reflective part of the insulation is where it is; to protect the paintwork at the back of the bonnet, in between the water jets.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
I decided to send my MA an email and link to this topic, to see if there has been and talk at the dealership on this topic.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nder-hood.html

Neal,
*I just wanted to bring this to your attention, I know your a great activist for the MINI owner, and just wondering if there has been an chatter at Classic about this issue. People are saying contact your MA. I figured I would just send out an email.*
Hope you had a great holiday weekend
Sent from my iPad

Quick Reply: R58 Insulation under hood