R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 What would you like to see MINI change about the Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012 | 01:13 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
It should have comfort access and the garage door opener in the rearview mirror. I use those 2 things multiple times/day and honestly it helped convince me to wait to buy another Mini (there were other things too). They're like Android smartphones, there's always another one coming out.

Old 04-09-2012 | 04:52 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
It does have comfort access.

But no garage door opener.

Old 04-10-2012 | 05:40 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
It should have comfort access and the garage door opener in the rearview mirror. I use those 2 things multiple times/day and honestly it helped convince me to wait to buy another Mini (there were other things too). They're like Android smartphones, there's always another one coming out.
You can (sorta) easily add the mirror for not much more than the OEM.

Thankfully nowhere near as bad as Android (new ones weekly and fragmented beyond comprehension). More like iPhones: once a year and fairly consistent from model to model.

Last edited by Julien321; 04-10-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2012 | 07:45 AM
snek
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gloomchen
My daily commute is 96% highway so I rarely use sport mode. It would be a needless waste of gas. So, yeah, I prefer "crummy" most of the time.

So I spent a tankful of gas driving in the non-sport (the Kia) setting. Other than a couple of scary moments when the MINI didn't handle like a MINI, there was no difference in the gas millage.

Old 05-23-2012 | 06:24 PM
Telegraph
2nd Gear
1. A compass indication in the rear view mirror. My other car has that and it comes in useful when I don't have the GPS in the car. I don't have the optional nav package
2. The key fob needs a horn button. The car is low and is hard to spot in a parking lot full of SUVs. Would be nice to have a horn button on the key fob to help locate the car. Yes, you can set the personal settings so locking the car toots the horn but I don't like that option.

Old 05-23-2012 | 09:23 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Actually, I'd be happy as a clam if they'd give us those 6 pot brakes like the GP will have as standard on the JCW models.

I love this car!

Old 05-23-2012 | 09:54 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Telegraph
1. A compass indication in the rear view mirror. My other car has that and it comes in useful when I don't have the GPS in the car. I don't have the optional nav package
2. The key fob needs a horn button. The car is low and is hard to spot in a parking lot full of SUVs. Would be nice to have a horn button on the key fob to help locate the car. Yes, you can set the personal settings so locking the car toots the horn but I don't like that option.
Actually I think these are the best 2 ideas I have heard. Other than these suggestions I think the car is pretty perfect.

Off the subject but I just turned 119,300 on my 2005 GTO and still no problems. (But it's an Australian car not US.)

Old 05-24-2012 | 12:23 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge, and I want a frickin' rear windscreen wiper & washer. Tired of having to clean it by hand all the time.

Oh, and the A/C vent controls need a setting with feet + dash, and NO windscreen vent. I cannot recall the last time I saw a car without that setting. All it does here in a FL Summer is fog up the windscreen. I want my tummy and tootsies cooled without the freakin' fog. Oh, and make the selector mechanical again. That electronic thing changes the vents SOoooo s - l - o - w - l - y.

Old 05-28-2012 | 09:58 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Cheaper leather seats than the four-seat MINIs.

Sunroof, Sport button that remembers the last setting, chrome grille option on the non-S, and JCW Suspension standard on the JCW Coupe.

Old 05-28-2012 | 11:07 AM
snek
2nd Gear
Yes. Yes! Yes!!

Old 05-28-2012 | 12:31 PM
fatboy97
3rd Gear
Not having a Garage Door opener option in the Rearview was very disappointing, since it's available on the Hardtop and other versions. And it would be nice if the switch that controls the Rear Spoiler would work at all speeds.

Old 05-30-2012 | 08:25 PM
socouper
2nd Gear
Sun visors with a slide out portion to cover more of the side. Change that mind boggling way of changing the personal settings on the turn signal arm. I would like the spoiler to be manually overridden to stay up. Black slat grille option on the Justa (as shown on the configurator)

Other than that, I love it!

Old 05-30-2012 | 08:42 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Three cheers to the "manual" spoiler toggle! Goes back to my post on the subject. I can understand MINI not wanting us to have the ability to lower it at higher speeds but then it should'nt revert to the auto function once you decelerate below 38-ish in manual mode.

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 05-30-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2012 | 08:53 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
Spoiler up at 60mph instead of 51, or better yet, manual override
Garage door opener
Lower cost on leather seats (only 2)
Temp gauge

Old 05-31-2012 | 10:47 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Three cheers to the "manual" spoiler toggle! Goes back to my post on the subject. I can understand MINI not wanting us to have the ability to lower it at higher speeds but then it should'nt revert to the auto function once you decelerate below 38-ish in manual mode.
Cause you will crash! The spoiler is there to add stability at high speeds.

Old 06-01-2012 | 02:42 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Crash?.

I just stated that I understood the reason for the spoiler staying up at 50MPH+ but that it makes no sense for it to then go back down upon decelerating to 38ish and lower when you have raised it manually. If you raise it manually it should stay up until you yourself lower it.

On another note, if MINI designed this car so that it requires an automatic rear spoiler to be deployed above 50MPH or the car will be so unstable as to likely crash then it was very poorly designed. I don't think it was poorly designed.

DesertDog

Spoiler up at 60mph instead of 51, or better yet, manual override
Garage door opener
Lower cost on leather seats (only 2)
Temp gauge
Agreed that the spoiler should not come up till 60mph and it definitely needs the manual override. With it set near 50 it tends to work overtime driving around the city. Agree with everything DesertDog said.

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 06-01-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2012 | 10:27 AM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
1) Useful gauges - water temp, oil pressure, maybe boost/vacuum on turbo models.
2) Seat needs to be able to go lower. I have one for an extended test drive (S as loaner while the wife's vert is in the shop) and am tired of whacking my head getting in.
3) This one is odd, but I don't think I've ever driven a car with so minimally adjustable a rear view mirror. The stalk doesn't move so you can't adjust it for height. As a result, I can only see a couple of cars worth behind me. Makes it hard to watch for cops closing in from behind.
4) More power. Car is quick and fun, but a turbo should be fast. Maybe I'm spoiled by my Mazdaspeed3 (85,000 miles and soon to be traded in) but I just expect more "oh my God!" from a turbo vehicle.
5) Firmer manual mode shifts from the automatic.

Old 06-19-2012 | 03:24 PM
JenniferL
1st Gear
Know what I miss from the R53? The little cups in the boot that you hold onto to close it so you don't have to touch the paint... They aren't hollow anymore. So they don't function like boot pulls. I miss being able to close the boot without adding a paw print.

And +1 on the temp gauge. Eek.

Old 06-19-2012 | 03:45 PM
snek
2nd Gear
The Coupe does have little grips on the inside of the boot lid, but they are not hollow...

Old 06-19-2012 | 04:37 PM
twriter
2nd Gear
I'd like the clutch pedal a half an inch, maybe a full inch, further to the left (my wide size 14s keep bumping into each other).

Visors large enough to actually cover significant part of the windshield or side window to, you know, block the sun.

Old 06-28-2012 | 09:01 AM
powerbook76
2nd Gear
1. Oil + Temp gauge. Can't tell if car is warmed up enough.

2. Sports Button. Wish it would remember which option I had chosen when the car is off.

3. Manual Transmission. I wish the reverse was one of those "push to reverse" transmission. When Im doing quick back and forth back and forth parking, I find myself something putting the gear into reverse, when I meant to put it in 1st gear.

4. Mini Connected. I wish the "joystick" was universal when turning left or right. Certain parts of Mini Connected makes turning left causes the list to go down, while in other parts (plug-in for example) turning right makes the menu to scroll down. Its very confusing.

5. Rear Spoiler. What is the point of being able to manually raise the spoiler if it automatically goes down after speeding 52+ mph?

6. View. B-Pillar view of the car is completely hidden due to seat's headrest.

Last edited by powerbook76; 06-28-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2012 | 02:12 PM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
I don't know if this was suggested already, but I would like a factory option to black out all chrome.

Old 07-13-2012 | 08:03 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
I want a dedicated clock! I miss the clock on my '03 MCS. I don't like having to toggle through options in the tach display and/or mini connected to see what time it is. And I agree, garage door opener!

I also wish comfort access could do windows down. (the key remote does, why not the CA button?) And I'd like auto-up windows but I guess that's a safety issue?

Old 07-13-2012 | 08:10 AM
snek
2nd Gear
Windows auto-up in the Coupe is not a safety issue. It's money saving issue.

Originally Posted by alexroet

I also wish comfort access could do windows down. (the key remote does, why not the CA button?) And I'd like auto-up windows but I guess that's a safety issue?

Old 07-13-2012 | 08:14 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis
I don't know if this was suggested already, but I would like a factory option to black out all chrome.
^ This.

And another option for body color door handles and headlight rings.

Quick Reply: R58 What would you like to see MINI change about the Coupe