R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 What would you like to see MINI change about the Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012 | 08:27 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by snek
Windows auto-up in the Coupe is not a safety issue. It's money saving issue.
Hm. bummer. I was trying to give them benefit of the doubt. I thought there was some whole big to-do a while ago about the risk of kids getting their fingers pinched and they made all these new 'rules' about power windows? eh I might be imagining things.

My old MCS didn't have it either, but I added a little chip that let me... but since this is a lease and I'm afraid to mod I'm learning to just deal with it. Fortunately the windows are so small it doesn't take long to put them up.

Old 07-13-2012 | 08:30 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Oh, and I would also like to see it not called the "Coupe' " (sorry don't know how to type the accent here)
that accent mark is totally stupid. Like the mcdonalds "Frappe' ". it's coupe. and frappe. No accent.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:44 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Well, here in the US, MINI USA has dropped the acute on the e and calls it the MINI Coupe.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:53 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
Well, here in the US, MINI USA has dropped the acute on the e and calls it the MINI Coupe.
Ah ok is that why I only see it sometimes? it's a euro thing? thanks

Old 07-31-2012 | 03:08 PM
twriter
2nd Gear
Bigger, deeper cup holders.
A better use of screen real estate in the radio display.
Bigger clock display.
Actual space in the armrest to store things
A few different speeds for the intermittent wipers
Radio volume that stays set where I left it (loud)

Old 07-31-2012 | 03:25 PM
VX crazy
2nd Gear
I am glad I drive 2 vehicles that seem to bring out the haters.....lol! I would add garage opener, I mean you pay for a totally loaded car and it doesn't come with that? And oil/engine temp gauge......

Old 08-16-2012 | 10:29 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
I love everything about the coupe except the back... side view and front view look awesome but there's just something about the back. Too many extreme lines, they should round it out a little or something. I would still purchase one though.

Old 08-16-2012 | 11:00 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I wish it was a little quicker/faster than all the other 'S' models but still under the JCW..because it obviously can't be as quick as that. I mean I did pay a premium price for it right?

There are a bunch of 4 cylinder turbo cars coming out that are putting out impressive hp/ft lb numbers in sock form at a much cheaper price range. These are figures that we MINI folks are hitting with stage 3 tunes! Then again it is only a 1.6L.....no idea why they haven't gone to 2L...that'd be sweet

idk, just a little rant, still love my MINI to death though

Old 08-16-2012 | 11:40 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
A 2.0L MINI would be so sweet! Maybe a 6-cylinder Countryman JCW? But that would probably cause a big uproar with the classic mini loving people.

Old 08-16-2012 | 12:41 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMiniS
A 2.0L MINI would be so sweet! Maybe a 6-cylinder Countryman JCW? But that would probably cause a big uproar with the classic mini loving people.
Yea that's true, but no offense to the classic mini people, but those times have come and gone. MINI strayed away from that when they started making models other then the OG hardtop. And boy does that Countryman fall flat on its face with the 1.6L turbo. Those extra 400ish lbs definitely take that pep away that all the other 'S' models have. Even a 2.5L 4 cylinder for the Countryman would be great just like the Evo's and STI's out there.

I mean check this out...its the new Dodge Dart R/T...look at the specs from factory, and obviously the potential to be waaaay quicker when tuners start popping up! And look at the msrp price
http://www.dodge.com/en/2013/dart/rt/

Can you say Dodge Neon SRT4 reincarnated
I smell a Turbocharged 4 Banger war brewing

Old 08-16-2012 | 01:24 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Skip the active spoiler and give every Coupe the fixed JCW spoiler. It would be lighter, cheaper, and improve the look of the Coupe from that weird back 3/4 view.

Old 08-16-2012 | 01:51 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
I agree with the classic mini people getting their panties in a bunch. I saw a guy driving a classic mini, I waved at him and he gave me the middle finger- not even joking. People get very upset about it but I see it as a great thing- BMW has taken a fantastic classic car and brought it back to life in modern form. Nothing wrong with that!

Old 08-16-2012 | 03:39 PM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
+1 on the garage door opener

+1 on having the static JCW spoiler as an option

Old 08-17-2012 | 01:08 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
I need the auto-up fix

Old 08-21-2012 | 07:37 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DAVESTER
I need the auto-up fix
Is there an auto-up fix? I had one in my '03 MCS... but that was a long time ago.

Old 08-21-2012 | 07:38 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
I wish it was a little quicker/faster than all the other 'S' models but still under the JCW..because it obviously can't be as quick as that. I mean I did pay a premium price for it right?

There are a bunch of 4 cylinder turbo cars coming out that are putting out impressive hp/ft lb numbers in sock form at a much cheaper price range. These are figures that we MINI folks are hitting with stage 3 tunes! Then again it is only a 1.6L.....no idea why they haven't gone to 2L...that'd be sweet

idk, just a little rant, still love my MINI to death though
confused... why should the Coupe S be faster than "all the other S models"?

Old 08-21-2012 | 07:41 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by twriter
Bigger, deeper cup holders.
A better use of screen real estate in the radio display.
Bigger clock display.
Actual space in the armrest to store things
A few different speeds for the intermittent wipers
Radio volume that stays set where I left it (loud)
I'll have to check, but I have variable intermittent speeds, and radio volume stays where I put it... Yours doesn't?

I couldn't care less about cup holders b/c I don't like drinks in my car.
and better than a bigger clock display would be a dedicated clock. I don't like having to look in a different spot every time, or changing views in the tach just to see the time. My '03 had a little dedicated clock on the headliner. why oh why did they have to get rid of that? i still find myself looking for it.

Old 08-22-2012 | 08:32 AM
giarmdok
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by socouper
Sun visors with a slide out portion to cover more of the side. Change that mind boggling way of changing the personal settings on the turn signal arm. I would like the spoiler to be manually overridden to stay up. Black slat grille option on the Justa (as shown on the configurator)

Other than that, I love it!
The only thing I would really like is the ability to lock the spoiler up or down. My 15 mile drive to work that thing easily goes up and down 6 or 7 times. Love everything else about the car!

Old 08-23-2012 | 09:49 AM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
Going way back in the thread I typically leave the car in "crummy" mode rather than sport, unless I am merging into traffic and know I need to be very quick about it. But I am intrigued by the notion that the MPGs are the same for both modes, so I may use it more.

Personally I would like to be able to change the colors of the instrument panel lighting and the Connected display. Why can't it be the same sort of fiber optic selection as the door lights? I don't really like the orange for the instruments and the audio display.

I'd also like an option to display gauges in the Connected display. The only option is to see the vehicle status or whatever it's called which just says "OK".

Old 08-23-2012 | 10:04 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Going way back in the thread I typically leave the car in "crummy" mode rather than sport, unless I am merging into traffic and know I need to be very quick about it. But I am intrigued by the notion that the MPGs are the same for both modes, so I may use it more.

Personally I would like to be able to change the colors of the instrument panel lighting and the Connected display. Why can't it be the same sort of fiber optic selection as the door lights? I don't really like the orange for the instruments and the audio display.

I'd also like an option to display gauges in the Connected display. The only option is to see the vehicle status or whatever it's called which just says "OK".
Do you own an iPhone? Because if you do you can display horsepower and torque/Rpms at the same time through the Connected screen.

Not sure if that's what you where asking about haha.

Old 08-23-2012 | 11:13 AM
ajrdu
2nd Gear
Do you own an iPhone? Because if you do you can display horsepower and torque/Rpms at the same time through the Connected screen.

Not sure if that's what you where asking about haha.
Could you take a picture of the screen showing horsepower and torque? I'm still waiting on my car, but opted for MINI Connected. There weren't any available to try out at my dealer so hearing about these types of features is great.

Old 08-23-2012 | 11:30 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ajrdu
Could you take a picture of the screen showing horsepower and torque? I'm still waiting on my car, but opted for MINI Connected. There weren't any available to try out at my dealer so hearing about these types of features is great.
If I could I would take pictures of the display on my car but its in the body shop...was rear-ended by a Jeep Cherokee

Buuut here is a link that basically displays what you'll see on the screen!

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/12/...ini-connected/

Its a fun feature, especially for passengers
I have no use for Facebook, Twitter, Google, and all the other stuff it can display. So I always have the guages displayed.

Old 08-23-2012 | 11:42 AM
ajrdu
2nd Gear
If I could I would take pictures of the display on my car but its in the body shop...was rear-ended by a Jeep Cherokee

Buuut here is a link that basically displays what you'll see on the screen!

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/12/...ini-connected/

Its a fun feature, especially for passengers
I have no use for Facebook, Twitter, Google, and all the other stuff it can display. So I always have the guages displayed.
I'm so sorry to hear about your car. I hope you are OK and that your baby comes back shiny and healthy. I don't really care much about the other displays either, but really like the look use of the display to break up the huge speedometer. Just ordered a Garmin, ecoroute adapter, and a cravenspeed mount. This just gives me another data set.

Old 08-23-2012 | 12:20 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Yes I am Ok. Thank you for asking! Just a little bummed because its sooo new haha.

Not sure how accurate the guages are though. Max torque I've seen is 192, which makes sense because of overboost. But the highest HP number I've seen is 187 at redline?

Old 08-23-2012 | 03:19 PM
randers51
2nd Gear
Seatbelts are too tight. I have to use a binder clip on long rides or the belt drives me nuts.

Quick Reply: R58 What would you like to see MINI change about the Coupe