R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Problem Choosing S or JCW

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012 | 04:41 AM
powerbook76
|
2nd Gear
Problem Choosing S or JCW

Hello everyone,
First of all I'd like to thank everyone who post/share info on this wonderful car on this forum as I have learned a lot from reading the forum here for the last month.
I have finally decided (after reading through every single posts here in this R58 section) to place an order for a new build next week after receving an email from local MINI dealer that
" MINI just released the April incentives, and good news - the Coupe now qualifies for incentives! 0% APR for up to 36 months, and 2.9% for up to 72 Months! "

The only problem I have currently is choosing between the S or JCW.
My local dealer do not have JCW to test drive (in fact do not have a JCW even in stock) so I can't seem to decide since there is nothing to really compare between the two.

I have couple of questions that I'd like to post if someone (who has test driven or at least know the difference) can answer here for me.

1. Are there noticeable difference in exhaust note between S and JCW. Some state there are no huge difference but some articles state S is very quite compared to JCW. Some suggest getting aftermarket Exhaust etc with S coupe but Im not sure if I will ever go aftermarket anymore. Been awhile since I've had "sporty" car with nice exhaust note and I'd rather choose wisely since this is probably my last "sporty" car i can have with planned fatherhood in a year or two.

2. RunFlat Tire option exists on both build yet Allseason tire option do not exist for any wheel combination for JCW. Having RFT allseason even an option for JCW?

3. Sports Suspension for $500? again my dealer do not have S coupe with this option to test drive so I'd like to know if it's actually worth it. Difficult question i understand but personally I do not like cars that are too "bouncy" with no comfort but I DO like cars with good "control". I've had A4 with sports suspension, 8th gen Civic SI, and 2009 335xi with sports package. Would anyone be able to compared the "stiffiness" to these cars?

4. Any premium on JCW or S? Should I expect more or less "discount" based on which option I choose? After reading through posts, I'm thinking at least around $1,000 off of MFRP or more.

Im sure there's more questions I had but can't think of any at the moment.
I'll add to the list when i can come up with the questions before next Tuesday.

Thanks again for replys/interests.
Happy driving
below are the options I have chosen for either S or JCW

S Coupe
JCW package
Cold weather package
Premium package
Technology package with navi
Xenon
$33,750

JCW Coupe
Cold weather package
Premium package
Technology package with navi
Xenon
$38,400

Old 04-06-2012 | 05:37 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
1. The JCW can even be quiet when not in Sport mode. But the burble and popping in Sport mode is very cool. I haven't spent enough time around an S to know if there's a difference.

2. Both will have runflats. If you are adding the JCW Package, you'll get the same 17" Challenge Spoke wheels as on the JCW, but without the choice to change to black or select the Black Star Bullet Wheels.

3. Neither come standard with Sport Suspension so they are the same. I'd add the Sport Suspension on either one unless you plan to upgrade to the JCW Suspension when it arrives (soon?).

4. I think it depends more on where you live than the model you choose. I got a good discount on my JCW because I have a great relationship with my dealer, and would probably have gotten the same on an S. Many people here have paid MSRP. I don't think you should assume you'll get a discount, let alone $1,000.

If you are adding the JCW Package to the S, then you only have to decide whether it's worth paying extra for extra power and better brakes.

Old 04-06-2012 | 06:24 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
1. The JCW can even be quiet when not in Sport mode. But the burble and popping in Sport mode is very cool. I haven't spent enough time around an S to know if there's a difference.

2. Both will have runflats. If you are adding the JCW Package, you'll get the same 17" Challenge Spoke wheels as on the JCW, but without the choice to change to black or select the Black Star Bullet Wheels.

3. Neither come standard with Sport Suspension so they are the same. I'd add the Sport Suspension on either one unless you plan to upgrade to the JCW Suspension when it arrives (soon?).

4. I think it depends more on where you live than the model you choose. I got a good discount on my JCW because I have a great relationship with my dealer, and would probably have gotten the same on an S. Many people here have paid MSRP. I don't think you should assume you'll get a discount, let alone $1,000.

If you are adding the JCW Package to the S, then you only have to decide whether it's worth paying extra for extra power and better brakes.
Good advice James. Bottom line, drive them both, back to back. That will tell you all you need to know. I was in the same boat, and my dealer set up a test drive of both models. It will be very revealing. When you compare them on paper, it leads you to ask the question, should I spend the extra on the JCW. A test drive is the only way to understand the differences. Hope this helps.

-Steven

Old 04-06-2012 | 06:35 AM
powerbook76
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by powerbook76
My local dealer do not have JCW to test drive (in fact do not have a JCW even in stock) so I can't seem to decide since there is nothing to really compare between the two.
thank you guys again for the replys

maybe i should've been more clearer in my questions

1. there is no JCW to test drive (nor do any S test demo has sports suspension in them) to compare so hence the question was to compare the exhaust note between the two (whether JCW is louder) or not. I have test driven NON MANUAL S Coupe which was the only available demo at the local dealer.

2. Wheels/Tire question was not regarding RFT but about having All Season Tire as an option on JCW. It is NOT one of the options given on MINI's website.

thank you guys

Old 04-06-2012 | 06:44 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
I had already put my deposit down & ordered my MCS Coupé before there were any models available to test drive. But as soon as the demos arrived, I went & drove both. The JCW does have a slightly louder exhaust & a tad more burble, but it's not dramatic. The current JCW still uses a variant of the N14 engine, and the MCS uses the N18, which is basically the N14 with a few minor issues ironed out. The JCW has some extra hp, but that extra hp can be gained in the MCS with a few add-ons, and you get the (supposedly) more reliable N18 engine. And if you make an exhaust one of your add-ons, you can make it as growly as you like. (I know you said no aftermarket exhaust, but still...)

Of course, the JCW is all factory, so there's no worry about aftermarket parts being blamed for any potential warranty issues, whether it's right or wrong. So you lose that potential headache.

I'd either wait for the JCW suspension, or go aftermarket, depending on your budget. The base stock suspension is a nice smooth ride, but body roll is still kept to a minimum, and it still handles great. I thought I'd be pining for a suspension upgrade right away, but I'm OK with the base suspension thus far. (And my Coupé had already done a series of runs around the Dragon & nearby twisty highways in Western NC & TN)

Finally, the newer generation run flat tires are nowhere near the abortion that the older ones were. My MCS Coupé has the Bridgestone run flats, and here again, I thought I would be begging to replace them right away (which I did on my '03 & '05 MINIs), but these tires have handled mountain roads, city streets, and plenty of highway miles (about to crack 13k) with aplomb. Not overly noisy, not harsh, and decently sticky. Mind you, once the tread is gone, Max performance Summer tires will be mine, largely due to the ridiculous cost of run flat tires. But I wouldn't fret over the OEM run flats on a MINI these days. They're allright.

I think the best thing to do, echoing previous comments, is find a way to test drive both models & see if the $5k price difference is worth it to you for the upgrades that are included in the JCW. These cars cost enough that I think it's worth a bit of a drive out of town if necessary to get the comparison test drive before you commit.

Old 04-06-2012 | 06:48 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
thank you guys again for the replys

maybe i should've been more clearer in my questions

1. there is no JCW to test drive (nor do any S test demo has sports suspension in them) to compare so hence the question was to compare the exhaust note between the two (whether JCW is louder) or not. I have test driven NON MANUAL S Coupe which was the only available demo at the local dealer.

2. Wheels/Tire question was not regarding RFT but about having All Season Tire as an option on JCW. It is NOT one of the options given on MINI's website.

thank you guys
FYI, both exhausts get a little louder & more burbly in Sport mode. Which has to be activated every time you start the engine. Personally, I did not find the difference from MCS to JCW to be astounding, even under heavy load. Not that I would ever put an engine under heavy load on a test drive, because no responsible MA would stand for such a thing. :whistling:

When I ordered my MCS Coupé, all-season run flat tires were the only option, unless I missed something (and I asked). But I did think JCW builds had other tire options. I could be mistaken. I am old and addled.

Old 04-06-2012 | 06:53 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
A lot if differences

JCW has Brembo Brakes,- Larger front & rear sway bars,- Engine is made in Germany with larger turbo, beefed up block and many different components,- Challenger wheels, Beefed up Getreg German Transmission,-A completely different Exhaust system,-Performance gear ratio's in transmission and final drive.

If you want or need the automatic transmission you can forget the JCW. It only comes with the 6 speed manual,

The factory JCW also has more actual horsepower then adding the JCW performance kit to a standard "S"

They are both great car's although much different in performance and character.

I recently drove the "S" automatic transmission with the paddle shifters and liked it a lot. BUT It was not even close to my 2009 factory stock JCW.

If you are like me and will never even think of doing a bunch of modifying you should go for the JCW. If you are the type of person that likes to modify your car and don't give a dam about the warranty then think of getting the "S" The more $$$ you insert the more performance you will get.

Remember, once you start the modify bug it will keep you broke and usually very happy but you can kiss your warranty good bye.

I have found true happiness with my stock JCW because it is fast, handles excellent and since I put the 215/45/17 Michelin Exalta PE2 non-runflat tires on it I like the way it rides even though I do have the optional "SPORT SUSPENSION" on my car.

I'm sure you will love whichever Mini you decide to buy. Any Mini is more fun then you will ever imagine.

Old 04-06-2012 | 07:02 AM
powerbook76
|
2nd Gear
thank you so much for the replies guys
it's VERY helpful :D

Old 04-06-2012 | 07:49 AM
shmini
2nd Gear
And also, the red roof is only available on the JCW.

Old 04-06-2012 | 11:03 AM
powerbook76
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shmini
And also, the red roof is only available on the JCW.
as shallow as this may sound (considering we are talking about something that costs ALOT)
i wouldn't even have this issue if the exhaust note sounded the same, and both came with white/red roof combination

Old 04-06-2012 | 11:29 AM
shmini
2nd Gear
That is EXACTLY what is holding me up from deciding between those two models! Two shallow nuts! One solution to the red roof, or lack of, is to get the roof painted or wrapped red. Someone around here got an all blue S off the lot and had the roof painted. Looks great.

Old 04-06-2012 | 12:38 PM
jibber11
4th Gear
We have a R56 JCW and an R57 vert
Exhaust is MUCH deeper and slightly louder, very noticeable but nice not obnoxious.

JCW drives totally different as far as power. I did not notice it right away, but the more and more I drove it, it became mor apparent to me.

Sport suspension? $500 is a drop in the bucket as far as total cost goes and you won't have to say you wish you did.

If you can Float he JCW $$ you'd be crazy not too.

Besides look around, how many jcw's have you seen?
Exactly I never see them either, you'll be king of the hill, lol.

Old 04-06-2012 | 01:00 PM
johnf36
4th Gear
Powerbook76, Honestly if money is not an issue go for the JCW.

Old 04-06-2012 | 01:01 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
The stock JCW Exhaust sounds great,

It took about 10,000 miles or so to get it to sound great but it sure does.

It just plain screams when you are ***** out accelerating through the gears with your foot on the go pedal and hanging on to the steering wheel.

Whats nice is it is not drowning you out when just cruising around or on the open road.

At 75/85 MPH you can hear it if you turn off the radio and listen to the sweet music it provides. If you leave the radio on you won't hear the exhaust at all. (No Drone at all)

You can't really compare two brand new cars exhaust sounds unless you test drive each one at least 10,000 miles to get the exhausts to break in properly.

Old 04-06-2012 | 01:18 PM
DavidB
2nd Gear
If I were going for a JCW I'd have to wait for the new engine in September which is why I've gone for a Cooper S roadster.

When I drove a Cooper S with the new N18 engine the exhaust popped and banged more than any MINI I've owned before - including my 2009 JCW hatch with modded downpipe.

The JCW exhaust (N14) tends to gurgle a lot whereas the Cooper S pops (N18).

This could be different as I live in the UK where I believe the ECU tuning is not exactly the same.

Old 04-06-2012 | 03:23 PM
powerbook76
|
2nd Gear
thank you all VERY much on your input and advices
it helped ALOT!
after two months of dreaming and thinking about which model I'd grab, I went to the dealership today again.
Test drove S Coupe (without the Sports Suspension) again, and just decided to put an order for the JCW model.

I did not want to ever think about any "what ifs" after I spent over 30,000 on a car.
Even though the car came close to 40,000, i know i'll never have to at least think about how JCW "may" have felt.

Initially, the salesguy told me i can probably change my mind if i want to within a week or so but then he called me right after i left the dealership that I was approved right away and he thinks the production actually may start either tomorrow (sat) or monday so I need to make up my mind quick.
I got the numbers to check the website if i wanted to later on.

time to dream on

p.s
All Season tires are NOT an option for JCW so I would have to eventually grab either a snow or all season tire later on for winter driving as this will be my only car.

again,
thank you all for the replys

Old 04-06-2012 | 03:35 PM
jibber11
4th Gear
Whoo-hoo
Congrats you'll love it

Old 04-06-2012 | 11:52 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Nobody mentioned the brakes! They will be eye opening on your first drive. Takes a while to get used to. You will also notice the buttery smooth gear box compared to the S. Most of the power gains are in the mid range too, so you don't need to wring the cars neck to get it to move. Prepare to smile alot too. Your going to love it!

Old 04-07-2012 | 12:24 AM
johnf36
4th Gear
Powerbook76, Congrats on your choice.

Old 04-07-2012 | 06:09 AM
powerbook76
|
2nd Gear
btw, just to clarify
the original email sent by salesguy was a typo
here's the deal for ALL COUPE models

APR
0.9% up to 36 months
1.9% up to 60 months
2.9% up to 72 months

for future reference for buyers :D

Old 04-07-2012 | 06:12 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
btw, just to clarify
the original email sent by salesguy was a typo
here's the deal for ALL COUPE models

APR
0.9% up to 36 months
1.9% up to 60 months
2.9% up to 72 months

for future reference for buyers :D

*My credit union is offering 1.99% for 72 months

Old 04-07-2012 | 06:51 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MY4thMINI
*My credit union is offering 1.99% for 72 months
The difference is BMW is offering 1.9% simple interest. The credit union is offering 1.99% compound interest.

Old 04-07-2012 | 08:18 AM
shmini
2nd Gear
Powerbook76, what color did you get?

Old 04-07-2012 | 09:21 AM
powerbook76
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shmini
Powerbook76, what color did you get?
hey
initially i got the silverwhite/red roof with stripes combo
but after sleeping on it, i think i'd get sick of that color combo quick even though they do look great.

called the salesguy today to let him know i have changed the color option to pepperwhite/black with stripes.

Old 05-25-2012 | 06:31 PM
powerbook76
|
2nd Gear
Hello everyone,

1. Are there noticeable difference in exhaust note between S and JCW. Some state there are no huge difference but some articles state S is very quite compared to JCW. Some suggest getting aftermarket Exhaust etc with S coupe but Im not sure if I will ever go aftermarket anymore. Been awhile since I've had "sporty" car with nice exhaust note and I'd rather choose wisely since this is probably my last "sporty" car i can have with planned fatherhood in a year or two.

2. RunFlat Tire option exists on both build yet Allseason tire option do not exist for any wheel combination for JCW. Having RFT allseason even an option for JCW?

3. Sports Suspension for $500? again my dealer do not have S coupe with this option to test drive so I'd like to know if it's actually worth it. Difficult question i understand but personally I do not like cars that are too "bouncy" with no comfort but I DO like cars with good "control". I've had A4 with sports suspension, 8th gen Civic SI, and 2009 335xi with sports package. Would anyone be able to compared the "stiffiness" to these cars?

4. Any premium on JCW or S? Should I expect more or less "discount" based on which option I choose? After reading through posts, I'm thinking at least around $1,000 off of MFRP or more.
now that i have picked up the car and had some behind the wheel experience, i wanted to answer couple of above questions i've asked.
hopefully this can help someone in the future choosing between S vs JCW.

just wanted to say this is my personal experience and it may vary.
take it with a grain of salt

1. As my probable "last" bachelor car, i wanted something louder than the Coupe S i test drove at the dealer. JCW did not disappoint.
Someone on the forum said the word "20% difference" between the two and i think that's the perfect way to put it. JCW is just louder than S (imo). Exhaust note gets very deep and loud (from inside and outside) when you push the car above 4k RPM. Gurgle and Pop noise when you release the gas even sounded louder than S. Initially I thought the sound was coming from the trunk, maybe something bouncing around. Realized it was the popping noise from the exhaust which gave me a nice smile

2. JCW do not have option for All Season Run Flat Tires. You would have to buy the car with the performance summer tire and exchange afterward.
Not all wheels will fit JCW either as it has bigger breaks on the front so be careful getting a separate set of wheels for winter tires.
Just for info, i was offered $1099 for tire warranty which was unlimited miles for 5 years. I think this is a no-brainer.

3. Since this was my daily driver, i did not choose the sports suspension option.

4. Could not get any kind of discount on the car
MA offered to take some off if i chose a car off the lot, but would not budge on giving discount on JCW that will be built. Called 2 other dealers around the area but none offered discount so i stuck with the original dealer.

Conclusion:
The Coupe S that i was going to build was going to cost me around $31,000
and JCW costed me over $38,000. I was worried 7K difference on price wouldn't really show on JCW. It took me almost a month mulling over which choice to make but I am very glad I spent that extra 7k on JCW.
I am sure you can spend that much money (more or less) and get better performance out of S Coupe over JCW, however as someone who isn't interested in aftermarket stuff (not anymore since last 2 diasters on previous cars on warranty issues) i think that was 7000 well spent.

Quick Reply: R58 Problem Choosing S or JCW