R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Differences? JCW Coupe and S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012 | 01:36 PM
MarinePMI
|
3rd Gear
Differences? JCW Coupe and S Coupe

Can someone tell me what exactly the differences are between the two. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there when talking the Coupe...

TIA

Old 08-10-2012 | 01:53 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
The main difference is in performance. If it is a JCW with all JCW options, it will brake better, handle better, and accelarate faster then the s.

Old 08-10-2012 | 02:18 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
As already stated, the basic JCW will have a slight hp advantage, tighter suspension, and better brakes. The refreshed N18 engine in the S has supposedly worked out a few minor issues from the original (N14?), and the most glaring change is the addition of the valvetronic system. I believe I have read that the N18 engine is due for the JCW treatment during the 2013 model year, but double check me on that. (There is a dealer-installed JCW performance package for the N18 engine, but it is not quite as powerful as the factory JCW)

JCW also has the dark gauge faces, optional red roof & mirrors, and different wheel choices, plus I believe a different aero kit and the JCW badging.

And if you are an aftermarket modder, you can tune the older version of the engine, but the N18 hasn't been cracked yet. So, for instance, you can use an AccessPort on a current JCW, but not on a current S. Hopefully, that ECU crack will be coming soon.

I'm sure I have forgotten a few things...

Old 08-10-2012 | 02:57 PM
MarinePMI
|
3rd Gear
Thanks for the responses, I think that clears up some of my confusion (nothing new there, my being confused that is ).

My last few vehicles have been trucks (pick ups, specifically) used for mostly off road, hunting and fishing type work. I don't really consider my self an aftermarket modder, though I did own an '87 Jeep Wrangler at one point, does that count? (That's the year it was literally assembled with half AMC and half Chrysler parts...made repairs....interesting. And led to having a VERY complete tool chest; i.e. SAE, Metric and the (then dreaded) new Torx drivers.).

I've now had my 2012 Coupe S a whole whopping three weeks (one week of which I was out of town), but am suddenly beginning to like the idea of customizing this car a little (without voiding the warranty that is).

Speaking of which; which mods potentially void the warranty? Or is it more of a "have the dealer install the parts to not void the warranty" sort of deal?

I still owe this and the other board some photos, so hopefully I'll get them done this weekend (after Betty gets a bath) and post them to better introduce myself.

I an definitely loving this car!

Old 08-10-2012 | 03:17 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
As far as the main differences between a JCW and Cooper S out the door are a different engine and turbo, a better JCW exhaust (both sound and power), upgraded 4 piston brakes, a JCW body kit, JCW red stitching in the seats and interior, jcw door sills Better clutch and pressure plate, a darker set of gauges, a different style intake/filter, a dashboard with a small checker flag in it and Challenge spoke wheels. Again, there are some minor subtleties I have missed, but these are the major factors which cause you to spend an extra $6,000 on the car out the door.

Some would argue it is not worth it, but to your point, it has a big power advantage and a TON of upgrades that do NOT void the warranty. Pretty much anything you put on it which is not a factory part or an approved factory part will void the warranty. IMHO, I would go with a JCW and spend the extra money on every MINI purchase i make in the future. It is hard to understand until you drive one, but once you do, you will want to own one!

Old 08-11-2012 | 04:02 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
+1. once you have a factory JCW you consider the up charge well worth it. I'm on my second factory JCW (09 Hatchback, 12 Coupe) and will continue to buy them as long as available.

Old 08-11-2012 | 05:55 AM
powerbook76
2nd Gear
Old 08-11-2012 | 10:10 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GP0256
Pretty much anything you put on it which is not a factory part or an approved factory part will void the warranty. IMHO, I would go with a JCW and spend the extra money on every MINI purchase i make in the future. It is hard to understand until you drive one, but once you do, you will want to own one!
Idk about that. I have a handful of things done to my car and my dealer is A ok with it.

As long as the parts I have don't cause the engine to blow up then I'm good

The guy basically said any internal work done to the motor is a strong candidate for voiding the warranty.

Back on track.....yes, JCW's are bad ***....but I still went with an S. I couldn't justify the difference from an S to a JCW. Now from a Justa to an S, thats a freakin huge leap in performance. The "S" is just right

Old 08-11-2012 | 10:39 AM
powerbook76
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Idk about that. I have a handful of things done to my car and my dealer is A ok with it.

As long as the parts I have don't cause the engine to blow up then I'm good

The guy basically said any internal work done to the motor is a strong candidate for voiding the warranty.

Back on track.....yes, JCW's are bad ***....but I still went with an S. I couldn't justify the difference from an S to a JCW. Now from a Justa to an S, thats a freakin huge leap in performance. The "S" is just right
dealers are okay with the parts it until things start breaking down.
dealers usually DO NOT come out pointing at your new 3'' catback saying YOU HAVE VOIDED WARRANTY!
however once your car starts giving out CEL and something does go wrong within the engine, they WILL start pointing finger at you.

the OP discussed the difference between the S and JCW.
Some of the differences were Engine related, Suspension releated, Breaks releated etc.
I think those just about cover ALL of the expensive parts that would be needed to cover under warranty.