R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 My Coupe is sick

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012 | 12:43 AM
steste1122
|
1st Gear
My Coupe is sick

I posted a little of this in the Trouble Free Mileage thread, but I didnt want to dirty it up any more so I decided to start a new thread just to let everyone know whats going on.

Basically, a little over a month or so ago my Coupe started misfiring. It only did it after the car had been sitting for a week, and it would only do it maybe once in the first few minutes of driving after it had sat all week. Since no CEL lights came on I figured it was probably bad gas or something even though I use premium and dont use discount gas. Few weeks later though it became drastically worse and CEL finally came on, so I let the dealer have it. Roadside assistance sent a tow truck from Memphis to my house (5 hours away) and picked my car up. After a week of testing, they changed spark plugs, installed all new injectors, and repaired a pin in the wiring harness, then sent the car back to me. This time, they tell me they can only pay to have it brought 250 miles--and I live 265 miles away, so I had to pay the difference. But, whatever, it was only $42 and my insurance reimbursed me for it anyway.

I am happy to have my car back, but that happiness is short lived. I am only a few miles down the road when the CEL comes back on and the engine almost dies as I try to accelerate. So today I called them back up and sent my car back in. I told the dealer when they send my car back I will not be paying anything, since I barely my had my car back and it still had problems. They say they will take care of it. Lets hope so.

Hopefully I will hear back in a day or two, and someone will have an answer for me. While its there this time I may ask them to try to find the rattle in the dash, and maybe install some of those JCW gauges. I feel kinda uninformed when there isnt even a coolant gauge to look at. Would also like to have a turbo boost gauge.

Old 10-27-2012 | 04:42 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
steste1122,

That blows.

As to the gauges, you may want to have a look at a Scan Gauge, it'll give you all the info you mentioned (and be able to read trouble codes as well). I just installed one yesterday in my Coupe (just got to get a proper mount now, since I don't want to velcro it to the dash). The install was a breeze (pretty much plug & play), as the only non-default setting I had to dork with was switching it from MAP to Boost (since my Coupe is an S). Now as I'm driving down the road I can see Boost, Ambient air temp to the intake, Coolant Temp and voltage (plus I can change them easily to other parameters). After the install, I wondered why I hadn't done this sooner.

I'm sure the gauges look nicer, but the Scan Gauge just seems more practical (and I can use it for my other vehicles as well if needed).

Old 10-27-2012 | 04:33 PM
DChase
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MarinePMI
steste1122,

That blows.

As to the gauges, you may want to have a look at a Scan Gauge, it'll give you all the info you mentioned (and be able to read trouble codes as well). I just installed one yesterday in my Coupe (just got to get a proper mount now, since I don't want to velcro it to the dash). The install was a breeze (pretty much plug & play), as the only non-default setting I had to dork with was switching it from MAP to Boost (since my Coupe is an S). Now as I'm driving down the road I can see Boost, Ambient air temp to the intake, Coolant Temp and voltage (plus I can change them easily to other parameters). After the install, I wondered why I hadn't done this sooner.

I'm sure the gauges look nicer, but the Scan Gauge just seems more practical (and I can use it for my other vehicles as well if needed).
Just plugs into the OBDII sensor, right? No wiring needed to get the boost readings?

Old 10-27-2012 | 06:32 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
For gauges, you can also get an OBDII WiFi or Bluetooth transmitter ($30-90, depending on model, etc.), grab a $5 app for your phone, and have all sorts of options. I use a KiWi Bluetooth from PLX Devices, and the Torque app for Android. Very versatile.

More importantly, here's hoping that the dealership gets this trouble sorted out ASAP. I'm sure it will take some time to regain confidence in your Coupé, but hopefully you'll be back to motoring with a smile on your face before too long.

Old 10-29-2012 | 04:24 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DChase
Just plugs into the OBDII sensor, right? No wiring needed to get the boost readings?
Correct.

To the OP, did you hear anything back from the dealership?

Old 11-04-2012 | 09:47 PM
steste1122
|
1st Gear
Got it back a few days ago. I think they replaced the whole wiring harness. So far ut seems ok but will see. Before it could go a while without missing.

Old 11-09-2012 | 09:43 AM
VX crazy
2nd Gear
How many miles were on yours when it had this issue? I also run the scan gauge in both my vehicles, not too attractive but gives me the information I need!