R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 My 2013 JCW has been ordered! (and a small question)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012 | 11:39 AM
Arcrys
|
1st Gear
My 2013 JCW has been ordered! (and a small question)

Long time lurking here, quietly soaking up the knowledge over in the R56 side of the house.

Now for a first post I think it's fair to say that trading in my 2011 S for a 2013 JCW Coupe is a worthy one! Amazingly excited and the 8-10 weeks for delivery that I'm being told will no doubt be the longest of my 32 years.

I've upgraded steadily from a non S hatchback to an S and now the JCW version of the Coupe. However, I've yet to drive a JCW version of any of the cars. The S was amazing to drive, love it, and was a tough decision to trade in.

But my question to you guys is this: Is the jump to JCW worth it? Is it THAT much more fun to drive? I'm happy with my decision in the JCW (if for nothing more than the red roof ) As options go: Loaded up the upgrades on the inside, sport suspension (which my S did not have) for the outside is about all I got for performance upgrades.

But I'm wondering what you guys think...will the jump from an S to a JCW be a noticeable surprise? Will I bid farewell to my S and not look back? Or will she be the girl that got away?

Old 11-06-2012 | 03:14 PM
minirab
5th Gear
My first MINI was a 2006 S which I dearly loved and was extremely sad

to see go. However, I now have a 2012 R58 JCW which I now dearly,

dearly love!! Believe me you will feel the same after you have had it

for awhile, it is that good.

Old 11-06-2012 | 08:06 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Yes the JCW version of the Coupe is worth it. I have the N14 version rather than the N18 variant but I think they will be similar in performance. The difference is very discernible and fun. Fuel economy is a little less but worth the sacrifice if you ask me. My car is averaging 29.3 mpg tracked over 10,000 miles.

Enjoy your new ride you will really like it.

Old 11-06-2012 | 08:29 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
Congrats the JCW is def worth it, and the 2013 now has the valvetronic making it even faster than before.

Old 11-07-2012 | 05:38 AM
Arcrys
|
1st Gear
Thanks guys! I took the jump to the JCW on faith that it would be awesome, happy to read I wont be disappointed

Old 11-07-2012 | 07:03 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
I bought the wife a 2010S and after 4 days she figured out she would not be seeing that car again. Big question was to Mod the S or order a new JCW. I ordered a 2011 JCW the last of the N14 motors. 2 totally different cars. My only question is do you really need the sport suspension. I got the base JCW becasue you can upgrade that cheaper and with better parts than buying the factory Sport Suspension. I believe at the time the dealer actually installed it an not the factory. Not sure about now. I was concerned about the ride going to from 17" wheels on the S to 18's on the JCW with a stiffer suspension. Results- I don't know why but the JCW rides like a caddy compared to my S. Way better ride with way better communication from the tires. And the stock Dunlop RF were a great tire both on and off the track. My JCW will run with heavily modded R53 ont he track. I have more body roll, have to drive at 9/10's and do lots of sliding but I can hang. I do not want to ruin the ride as this is also my commuter and my wife drives it sometimes. Next step needed is the big adjustable rear sway to reduce the body roll and stiffen the car up a bit more. I have held off because of the ride and does another second or 2 on the track worth giving up streetablility. When your chasing your buddy the answer is yes but to embaress much higher powerd cars at the track it is not required. Quote overheard at my last track session by a Ferrari F430 Scud driver out of Canada talking to his buddies. "I am glad that session ended early. Those 2 MINI's were chasing me down and catching me at the end of the session. They just kept coming and when I pushed harder my tires got hot and they would reel me back in. Damn those little cars are fast!"

People ask why I don't track my Maserati. "I don't want her getting passed by a MINI." Would be like your supermodel wife losing the beauty contest at the local Wal-Mart.

Old 11-07-2012 | 07:25 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Really? I believe that Ferrari in the hands of qualified driver will run circles around the Mini's. My GTO will runs circles around my Mini, not necessarily in the corners, but in the straights all I see are Mini's in the mirrors. My friends BMW can hang with the MINi's in the corners and blow em away in the straights. (But my friend is an excellent very skilled driver.)

This was my experience several years ago. I don't track my cars any longer. It was just too hard on them and I prefer them to last now and the cost of ownership to be less. Must be an age thing.

Old 11-07-2012 | 08:31 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
Really? I believe that Ferrari in the hands of qualified driver will run circles around the Mini's. My GTO will runs circles around my Mini, not necessarily in the corners, but in the straights all I see are Mini's in the mirrors. My friends BMW can hang with the MINi's in the corners and blow em away in the straights. (But my friend is an excellent very skilled driver.)

This was my experience several years ago. I don't track my cars any longer. It was just too hard on them and I prefer them to last now and the cost of ownership to be less. Must be an age thing.
Interesting, your comment on the BMW's. The last twistie run here in SoCal, we had a BMW M3 jump into the pack coming down Palomar Mountain. He lasted about 3 mins before pulling over onto a turn out. I was behind him, and definitely watched him struggle around the turns, with the back end of that heavy car sliding out a few times. I think he was at sphincter factor 9 when he pulled over; he just couldn't handle the turns as well as our light and nimble Minis...

I got quite a chuckle over it, as we were pushing the Mini's, but no where near their potential.