R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 R58 vs. R56 First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012 | 10:19 PM
JoanieB
|
5th Gear
R58 vs. R56 First Impressions

Since I have owned my 2011 R56 for a year and a half, and we just picked up our new Coupe tonight, I have a few quick first impressions of the comparison between the two. Both are Justas, both are automatics. Neither have any extra packages, the only difference is that the Coupe has the upgraded HK radio and 16" wheels with all season runflats. Oh, and the Coupe has the Chromeline interior trim. Otherwise, apples to apples.

Most interesting is that the Coupe is noticeably louder. Engine noise and, I suspect, tire noise. My R56 is so quiet while at a stop light that you could be convinced that she was turned off. In the Coupe, you can hear the engine. Not a bad thing, but it did surprise me a bit.

The runflats are not as smooth as the regular tires, but not bad at all. We had debated taking them off and selling them, but we are not as worried about it now. We requested the All Season runflats, and that might make a difference. So the Coupe with 16" wheels and All Season runflats is not as wonderful as the Hardtop with 15" wheels and regular tires, but not bad enough to ditch them. Time will tell.

I swear the Coupe has more pep. Both N16 engines... but the Coupe seems more able than my HT was right from the get-go. Is it lighter?

The rear end of the Coupe is definitely looser and has more vibrations and rattles, though nothing annoying yet. More like, it's empty and the various compartment doors are moving around. Hopefully it won't get actually noisy, but hubby is somewhat deaf from working with big machinery, so he won't care either way. That's what the radio is for!

Love the difference in the lower part of the center console. With the large opening in the bottom, which has lighting. NICE!! And the USB and aux in are easier to use there. In the HT, the USB is sort of tucked up and away, and takes getting down and really fiddling with it to plug a flash drive in.

Visibility is the biggest pitfall on the Coupe, although properly adjusted side mirrors help tremendously. The rearview is not as useful in the Coupe because of the slanting window and the spoiler, but you soon get used to the spoiler splitting your view. Backing into a parking spot will be a bit more difficult... the backup guidance would have been a very good idea.

It's official. I love them both. I love the HT for her quickness, visibility, and iconic MINI-ness. I love the Coupe for his zestiness and very different look. He is a very sporty looking and feeling car. In sporty cars, comfort is secondary to style, and the Coupe is no different.

Just thought this might interest anyone looking at making choices.

The following users liked this post:
Bikeboy2018 (04-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2012 | 10:42 PM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
Coming from someone with extensive racing experience.

MINI Cooper is this iconic shape. I think I actually prefer it more than the Coupe, but it's too late now.

The Cooper is a fast and nimble car. They both have precise steering with great feedback. Cooper tends to understeer a bit more and much worse when it has a sunroof. It also leans through the corners quite a bit due to the high center of gravity.

The Coupe is a sporty little eye catcher. It is the same size, but the interior feels a bit cramped for someone standing at 6ft. It is not necessarily the fault of a lower, sloped roof, but the fact that they've reused old seats and haven't lowered them further.

In the corner, the Coupe is a class act. It is very neutral and almost doesn't understeer at all. It is heavier, but you cannot feel it. The center of gravity is lower, and the car doesn't lean as much. It is also much stiffer (which also helps with rattles). The car will actually oversteer if you lift off the throttle mid turn which is great! The only issue I've always had with MINI was the FWD. Now, you can actually have a bit of fun using throttle lift off mid corner. It should also be noted that the Coupe has an almost 50/50 weight distribution which is a rare thing in a car of this kind.

I also did notice the rattles coming from the back parcel shelf. The car is also louder because you have a large cargo area which means echo coming from the back end.

I cannot wait to install my KW Clubsport coilovers and stickier Michelin Pilot Supersports. I feel that those modifications with some new Recaro seats will make this a perfect driver's MINI.

Bikeboy2018 (04-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2012 | 11:14 PM
JoanieB
|
5th Gear
Thank you for your very interesting perspective, reRE! In your opinion, is a rear sway bar something to consider for a Coupe (if it could even be fitted) or is the body stiff enough already? The rear sway bar is recommended for the HT.

We don't have the skill to drive ours hard, so we look at the lights and listen to the radio.

Old 12-19-2012 | 11:20 PM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
No problem!

Beefier rear sway bar had always been a remedy for understeer (car going straight when you're trying to turn) in all sorts of FWD cars. While Coupe is a very good car (and I believe it has a stiffer sway bar stock than the R56) there is still room for improvement. It does not really do much for the car's stiffness. This is what roll bars and chassis stiffening kits are for.

I would not recommend it as the first mod. Instead, I'd recommend investing in a driving school or even some local AutoX events. You will not believe how hard you can drive these cars when you learn to do it right.

After you've outgrown the current performance limits, THEN it's the time to upgrade

PS. I would also ditch the all season tires first... Mine came with them and I dread every corner. Awful, awful, awful.

Bikeboy2018 (04-20-2023)