R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Edmunds: 2013 MINI Cooper Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012 | 06:48 PM
jamesday24
|
6th Gear
Edmunds: 2013 MINI Cooper Coupe

What Edmunds Says

"With negligible differences in performance versus the regular Cooper, the 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe really only delivers a sportier look, along with some drawbacks that may be deal-breakers."

Pros
Sharp handling; distinctive exterior styling; great fuel economy; highly customizable; all the fun you normally get from a Mini Cooper now available in a two-seater.

Cons
No measurable performance gain over regular Cooper hatchback; choppy ride (especially in the John Cooper Works trim); limited outward visibility; more expensive than Cooper hatchback.

http://www.edmunds.com/mini/cooper-coupe/2013/

Old 12-28-2012 | 07:01 PM
avuton
3rd Gear
I got a R58 as a loaner and the worst part of the experience was the lack of visibility that I've grown so accustomed to with my R56. It's not bad, it's terrible. Besides being dangerous for me, it also made it impossible to keep an eye out for authorities when I was driving with spirit.

Second and third worst things about the experience in my opinion was the windshield being so heavily angled and lack of options. These cars are /terrible/ without options, my 2 cents.

Old 12-28-2012 | 08:13 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by avuton
I got a R58 as a loaner and the worst part of the experience was the lack of visibility that I've grown so accustomed to with my R56. It's not bad, it's terrible. Besides being dangerous for me, it also made it impossible to keep an eye out for authorities when I was driving with spirit.

Second and third worst things about the experience in my opinion was the windshield being so heavily angled and lack of options. These cars are /terrible/ without options, my 2 cents.
We bought the base Coupe, and I agree with some parts of your review, and disagree with others, Avuton.

I don't at all mind the windshield... but I'm short. And we ordered very few options, but it suits us so far. As a sporty little commuter car, it's just fine.

I agree about the visibility, completely. And since we installed the fixed spoiler, our back window is literally divided in half. But hubby drives work trucks without any rear view mirrors or back windows at all, and by working out the right angles on the side view mirrors, plus adjusting the rear view pretty carefully, you soon get used to it. Our son had a Mitsubishi Eclipse and it was about the same as far as visibility out of the sides and back. And a heavily sloped front window too. That whole 'sporty' thing comes with sacrifices.

What hubby most likes about the Coupe is the fun of driving it. And the looks he gets. We expect to get 32 - 34 mpg with the base engine, which is what we chose it for.

The review that James posted has a point, but they miss a point too. If everyone chose their cars without taking into account the styling, there would be fewer really neat looking cars out there. There is no 'one perfect car', and everyone has a different set of priorities when they go to choose. Thank goodness we are free to ignore the reviews on some of the more unusual enthusiast cars, which often become the desired cars of the future, unappreciated until they are gone.

Old 12-29-2012 | 05:29 AM
Deli
6th Gear
I loved my R53 but found I rarely used the back seats for adults. The in-and-out was simply not comfortable for them. Now that the kids are out of the house, the coupe--with its large boot and stylish looks, simply fit the bill. I test drove it three different times (including the JCW which I passed on). I'm looking forward to its arrival!

Old 12-29-2012 | 10:02 AM
minirab
5th Gear
I love my R58 JCW..period!

Old 12-29-2012 | 01:10 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
I have been driving a loaner Coupe for the past week and I agree that the ride is too choppy...on run-flats. I put standard tires on my R58 before I drove away from the dealership and the ride is simply terrific. Change the tires and it's a whole different world. Engine numbers may be the same, but power and balance are a notch above the R56...no doubt about it! I have gotten used to the more limited rear view. If the side mirrors are properly adjusted there are no blind spots....no real safety issues. And as a two-seater it has a coziness that's just perfect!

Last edited by Herby74; 12-29-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2012 | 01:44 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Herby74
I have been driving a loaner Coupe for the past week and I agree that the ride is too choppy...on run-flats. I put standard tires on my R58 before I drove away from the dealership and the ride is simply terrific. Change the tires and it's a whole different world. Engine numbers may be the same, but power and balance are a notch above the R56...no doubt about it! I have gotten used to the more limited rear view. If the side mirrors are properly adjusted there are no blind spots....no real safety issues. And as a two-seater it has a coziness that's just perfect!
I really enjoy my car as well. I opted for the JCW version with most options except Nav and the R seats. As stated with properly adjusted mirrors visibility is fine for me. This car is much easer to throw around, balance is better than my prior R56 and it has more oomph. Additionally as stated change out the run flats and the car rocks. No kids and I have a Trailblazer when I need the space. My wife really likes the car as well.

Old 12-29-2012 | 06:49 PM
Marioalex24
3rd Gear
Well I don't own a coupe yet. But I dought it worste than the lotus exige I used to own. No rear window. The suspension was so hard I couldn't close my mouth with my teeth banging each other lol. The side mirrors vibrated every time I pick up speed. As many of the exotic cars. Their made for performance and style, not really much of a comfortable cars. I test drove the JCW coupe many times and I'm in love with it. Yes it's less visible than the hatch but I think it's small enough to look over. I personally think it perfect in my own opinion.

Maybe it's 30lbs heavier than the hatch because its made more stiff or it has the same power as the hatch. But that's normal. Look at the new M5 and M6, same engine and power yet one cost more than the other or the new M3 and M4 same concept. The only reason I haven't ordered my JCW coupe is because I can't make up my mind on the color either black or white sliver lol, I been like for months now. I test drive a black one and I love it and then I test drive the white silver and I love it too.

Old 12-31-2012 | 05:32 AM
artguy
2nd Gear
best MINI ever. (and I've owned 4 since 2002)

Old 12-31-2012 | 07:21 PM
socouper
2nd Gear
The coupe is not for everyone, but it is for me!

Old 12-31-2012 | 07:55 PM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
I had no trouble adjusting to the rear view. Maybe because I'm short? And I agree that as long as you adjust the sideview mirrors correctly there aren't any blind spot issues.

I haven't driven this generation MINI HB, but my Coupe is much more refined than my 1st Gen Cooper was.

Old 12-31-2012 | 10:03 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Please be sure to adjust those mirrors properly!

I didn't realize I had the bad habit of having mirrors adjusted improperly...for any car. And this was most noticeable in the coupe due to the limited visibility.

When I first got my R58, I was nervous about lane changes because it really does feel like you are in a dark cave...almost claustrophobic-isshhh. Then I came across a thread on NAM about the proper angle....did it make a freakin difference! No blind spots at all!

No longer do I feel like I am sitting in a dark cave.
Feels more like a race car....or spaceship as many passengers have stated lol....that led ambient lighting really does give that impression at night. Especially with the aluminum striped trim it reflects off of.....k I'm done lol.

Old 01-01-2013 | 05:15 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
NewCooperFanatic, it's even better reflecting off of chrome inside! The Coupe has more LED lighting than the R56, at least where it shines down in the cupholders. My hubby laughed at me when I got Winnie, wanting to drive at night just to see the lighting, now he loves his Coupe's lights. He keeps them on blue, to match the car.

Old 01-01-2013 | 05:54 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Please be sure to adjust those mirrors properly!

I didn't realize I had the bad habit of having mirrors adjusted improperly...for any car. And this was most noticeable in the coupe due to the limited visibility.

When I first got my R58, I was nervous about lane changes because it really does feel like you are in a dark cave...almost claustrophobic-isshhh. Then I came across a thread on NAM about the proper angle....did it make a freakin difference! No blind spots at all!

No longer do I feel like I am sitting in a dark cave.
Feels more like a race car....or spaceship as many passengers have stated lol....that led ambient lighting really does give that impression at night. Especially with the aluminum striped trim it reflects off of.....k I'm done lol.

I believe this is the thread: unfounded-fear

Old 01-01-2013 | 11:50 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Bingo! That's the thread lol

Old 01-01-2013 | 11:50 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JoanieB
NewCooperFanatic, it's even better reflecting off of chrome inside! The Coupe has more LED lighting than the R56, at least where it shines down in the cupholders. My hubby laughed at me when I got Winnie, wanting to drive at night just to see the lighting, now he loves his Coupe's lights. He keeps them on blue, to match the car.
I keep them red to match the RS style door handles my gf got my for Christmas haha...love this car!

Old 01-01-2013 | 12:45 PM
Deli
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
I keep them red to match the RS style door handles my gf got my for Christmas haha...love this car!
What colors does it shine? How do you change color?

Old 01-01-2013 | 12:56 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Deli

What colors does it shine? How do you change color?
The LED's? I think it has every color of the rainbow haha. You can also adjust the brightness. There should be a toggle on the roof of the car. It's the center switch I believe.

Old 01-01-2013 | 01:21 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Center of the roof, there is a toggle. You hold it for several seconds, or something. It talks about it in the manual. Pretty neat.

Old 01-02-2013 | 05:36 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
Toggle up on the roof cluster. As stated toggle for color change, or hold forward for 10 secs and it loops through all the colors continuously (when you're feeling like "staying alive" or having a disco flashback! LOL!)

Old 01-02-2013 | 05:47 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarinePMI
Toggle up on the roof cluster. As stated toggle for color change, or hold forward for 10 secs and it loops through all the colors continuously (when you're feeling like "staying alive" or having a disco flashback! LOL!)
Thanks. An unexpected feature!