R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 JCW Coupe Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:15 PM
randers51
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Coupe Bumper

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the front bumper on the 2012 JCW Coupe. I need to replace the brake ducts on my Coupe. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
It should be no different then the R56. Follow these
http://www.altaperformance.com/share.../ampeng420.pdf

Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just removed mine from a 2013. You might want to look at the Helix video on how to install their intercooler. It's not hard, but you have to remove alot of plastic clips and screws.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:15 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have removed my 2012 R58 JCW bumper several times. I don't have photos, but I will step you through what I remember.

SIDE OF THE BUMPER
  • Loosen the lungs on the front wheels.
  • Jack up the front of the car and put them on jack stands.
  • Remove front wheels.
  • Remove the large access cover on the inside of the fender wells.
  • Remove the 2 or 3 plastic screw rivets holding the fender wells in. Be careful as they tend to strip easily.
  • One the fender well is pulled back, there are several connection points on the side of the bumper that you need to remove.
  • There is one plastic rivet that comes out from the top.
  • There is one that comes out the side toward the engine.
  • Remove the indicator lamp from the side marker.
  • You may need to pull back the outer fender piece (black plastic) to get the side to release.
  • There is one metal screw facing the outside of the car that needs to be removed.
  • **This is everything for the side of the car for the bumper, repeat on opposite side**

CENTER OF THE BUMPER

• Remove the lower grill surround.
  • Remove grill.
  • Remove metal screws visible on the top of the bumper holding it into the frame. (2 or 3 I think)
  • Under the car are 3 or 4 more metal screws.
  • There are also several (5 or 6 maybe) plastic rivets. On the JCW, this is tricky as they are in recessed holes. I used a long flat-head screwdriver and came in from a different hole and used the flat head to start the removal of the head of the rivet. Once started, I used a plastic body trim removal tool to pop it out.
  • There are also 2 or 3 small black screes that are recessed in that will need to come out as well.

Once all the screws and clips are out, pull the bumper away from the car just slightly. You will need to reach in and disconnect the wiring for the fogs. There are 2 different connectors on each fog light. They are easy enough to reach down and disconnect while holding the bumper.

Once those are disconnected, you should be able to remove the bumper completely.

The brake ducts are in 2 pieces. They split in the middle where they go through the frame. The front part is easy to remove as its sitting in front of your face. The rear part is a bit tricky as it connects into the fender well.

Here are some photos of when I removed mine to install my intercooler.

You will notice in the last photo how I don't have the wheels off. You don't HAVE to remove the wheels, but if it is your first time, I would highly recommend it. It just makes seeing back there a lot easier.

Hope this helps in some way.

-Z