R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Stripe protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:59 PM
dedalus5550
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripe protection

I guess this is a common issue where the white bonnet stripes become yellowish/brownish. Closest dealership said I had to take it to the dealer where I bought it. Pain, but at least they replaced them. Anyway, the first dealership told me about some product that is sold in boating stores that will prolong the stripes. They said it's Ducky or Hot Sauce. Both companies sell a lot of products, from cleaner to protectant, but which one. They first seemed so sure, now the guys at the dealer are not too sure about which one.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Mike Todd

Old 07-24-2015, 06:00 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dedalus5550
I guess this is a common issue where the white bonnet stripes become yellowish/brownish. Closest dealership said I had to take it to the dealer where I bought it. Pain, but at least they replaced them. Anyway, the first dealership told me about some product that is sold in boating stores that will prolong the stripes. They said it's Ducky or Hot Sauce. Both companies sell a lot of products, from cleaner to protectant, but which one. They first seemed so sure, now the guys at the dealer are not too sure about which one.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Mike Todd
You should use a top end synthetic wax as Meguiars Ultimate and wax your car twice a year.

It is the reason I never wanted stripes. They fade and need to be replaced often depending of the climate you live.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Just use a wax or detailer with good UV protectant and you should be fine.

I have white and use the speed wipe. Smells like cherries.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2770314/

" Chemical Guys Speed wipe cleans, shines, and protects using advanced UV solar blocking technology. "

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear
After a 150 mile drive to Oklahoma City, I am at the MINI Dealer this morning. The coupe was due for service.
I told the SA about my silver stripes showing brown lines and will not just go away with cleaning or polishing.
He looked at the stripes and placed them on order. They will call when the new stripe kit arrives. no questions no hassle.
I really did not have any other issues to bring up.
The S Coupe has been trouble free for the 12000 miles.
Still a blast to drive.
Jackie Cooper MINI has so far been very good to deal with.

I will follow up after the stripes are replaced.

Keep on Motoring

Old 08-15-2015, 10:00 AM
NigelynMINI
Neutral
This looks like good stuff! do you have a direct link to purchase?

Originally Posted by ECSTuning

" Chemical Guys Speed wipe cleans, shines, and protects using advanced UV solar blocking technology. "

Old 08-15-2015, 03:05 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
UH, Nigley, click the link ECS included in their post. ESC is a VENDOR.

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 09-27-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: couldn't spell ECS - came out ESC by mistake
Old 08-15-2015, 05:20 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As a side note, much stripe damage occurs from the un-insulated hood.

Adding a heat barrier, even reflective foil tape goes a long way in keeping the hood cooler, and the stripes happier.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
As a side note, much stripe damage occurs from the un-insulated hood.

Adding a heat barrier, even reflective foil tape goes a long way in keeping the hood cooler, and the stripes happier.
Dan
In the case of my S coupe, the stripe discoloration is front and rear stripes.
My MINI has full under bonnet insulation with an additional aluminum insulation pad above the turbo.
The dark green stripes on the roof are perfect.
I have seen on other Mini models, deformed scoops, and damaged stripes that are obviously caused by heat from the turbo, the damage did not look like the brownish mottling I see on my Coupe.
The upward facing surfaces front and rear are involved.
I do believe the cause is UV related, however, the dealer has applied UV protectant when took delivery and again at my first service.
At this point I am open to any solutions however the un-insulated bonnet is not the cause in this case.

Keep on Motoring

Old 08-15-2015, 06:36 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, roger that.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:55 AM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ECSTuning

I have a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe S Spice Orange and Black and my orange stripes began bleaching white about 6 months ago. The dealer replaced all but my JCW wing stripes. Spice orange stripes can not be found or at least I haven't been able to locate them. I wash my car every week faithfully and use Detailers. You name it I've tried it. I also keep my car highly waxed. From front bumper to rear bumper including side trims. Still stripes bleach. My car i'd say 90% of the time is under a cover away from the sun. it's that 10% a work that it doesn't have a cover that causes the bleach. I've purchased Spice Orange spray paint to go over the stripes on the JCW wing. I'm going to wait about a week to see if anyone has any suggestions on getting the spice orange stripes for my JCW wing before I go about using the spray paint.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Seems like allot of the coupe' / Roadster stripes first couple batches of stripes all had the water spot or fading issues , had mine replaced and have been using the CG stuff on the new ones , good stuff and no issues.

Also I had the stripes fade first on the roof, so no heat from the hood there.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 08-17-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
My Coupe had red hood/boot stripes on the gray parts and black stripes on the red top. Delivered to dealer 7/13. I bought it 4/14 stripes perfect. Used drivethrough carwash once. Roof stripes faded to gray, red hood stripes still perfect. Had roof stripes removed. Red hood/boot stripes still perfect a year later. Go figure.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
What I have seen for the 2012 and 2013 on lot , allot of the roof stripes were faded ? So it seems all over the place. One person told me they had a bad batch in 2012 or roof stripes from germany for the coupe.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PHL_FLYERS
I have a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe S Spice Orange and Black and my orange stripes began bleaching white about 6 months ago. The dealer replaced all but my JCW wing stripes. Spice orange stripes can not be found or at least I haven't been able to locate them. I wash my car every week faithfully and use Detailers. You name it I've tried it. I also keep my car highly waxed. From front bumper to rear bumper including side trims. Still stripes bleach. My car i'd say 90% of the time is under a cover away from the sun. it's that 10% a work that it doesn't have a cover that causes the bleach. I've purchased Spice Orange spray paint to go over the stripes on the JCW wing. I'm going to wait about a week to see if anyone has any suggestions on getting the spice orange stripes for my JCW wing before I go about using the spray paint.
Try contacting MightyStripes.com here. They might be able to get you what you're looking for.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 AM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grumpy_i_m
After a 150 mile drive to Oklahoma City, I am at the MINI Dealer this morning. The coupe was due for service. I told the SA about my silver stripes showing brown lines and will not just go away with cleaning or polishing. He looked at the stripes and placed them on order. They will call when the new stripe kit arrives. no questions no hassle. I really did not have any other issues to bring up. The S Coupe has been trouble free for the 12000 miles. Still a blast to drive. Jackie Cooper MINI has so far been very good to deal with. I will follow up after the stripes are replaced. Keep on Motoring
Due to some health issues that delayed being able to get my Coupe to the dealer, I drove the 150 miles and just dropped it off at Jackie Cooper MINI in Oklahoma City . I left the Mini coupe with them and they are installing the new Stripes this week. I will follow up with the results after I pick it up later this week. Other than the stripe issue the S Coupe has been trouble free. I have however replaced the Conti Run Flats with Michelin pilot super sports, the Michelin SS tires have improved the responsiveness and reduced road noise. I recommend them highly. Keep on Motoring!

Old 09-27-2015, 11:31 AM
qwispichkn
Neutral
Don't wax over stripes. You want to use a UV protectant. I use 303 Aerospace protectant. Once a month. I just use it when I wash the car.

Last edited by qwispichkn; 09-27-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:57 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Try contacting MightyStripes.com here. They might be able to get you what you're looking for.
Thanks for the contact info I actually contacted the Mini dealer who had recently replaced the stripes on my Coupe all except for the JCW wing and they are replacing the stripes on the wing as well. They said that they had not looked at the wing when the stripes were replaced and that because the stripes come as a kit they didn't order extra for the JCW wing since the JCW wing was an add on after purchasing the Mini. Good thing was that I purchased the wing from the dealer and they installed it along with the stripes so they were receptive to replacing the stripes. Thanks again for the contact info. Have looked at their stuff for future projects.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PHL_FLYERS
Thanks for the contact info I actually contacted the Mini dealer who had recently replaced the stripes on my Coupe all except for the JCW wing and they are replacing the stripes on the wing as well. They said that they had not looked at the wing when the stripes were replaced and that because the stripes come as a kit they didn't order extra for the JCW wing since the JCW wing was an add on after purchasing the Mini. Good thing was that I purchased the wing from the dealer and they installed it along with the stripes so they were receptive to replacing the stripes. Thanks again for the contact info. Have looked at their stuff for future projects.
You're very welcome and I am glad the dealer is taking care of it for you.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
The CG stuff has worked great in the past for the 2005. Finally had to redo the stripes 10 years later. But they were 3M , not factory MINI.