R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Rattling Noise From Dash on Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 PM
David Dennison
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rattling Noise From Dash on Passenger Side

I've looked everywhere but I can't find a fix. I have a 2013 Mini Cooper S Coupe. There is a rattle that sometimes presents itself randomly on the passenger side of the dash. Does anyone have a fix for this? It's driving me crazy. Thanks guys!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:08 AM
Kimerator
Neutral
Just had a similar sounding rattle fixed in my 2015 Countryman. I would have bet money it was coming from the passenger side of the dash, but it turned about to be the little instrument cluster on the headliner! I paid attention for months until I could identify the exact stretch of road that triggered it, then drove the repair guy up and down that 3 block stretch while we pushed and pounded on every inch of the interior. So if you haven't yet, put a few friends in the car and have everybody point to where they think it's coming from, it may surprise you. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:25 PM
David Dennison
Neutral
but it doesnt happen at one point in the road. It happens the entire time im driving no matter the conditions.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I have noticed it happens more so in cold weather, it's not cold anymore and it's gone.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Ive been searching for more than a year and when I think I've found and corrected it something else pops up. Glove box is my latest suspect. Mini is a squeak box, too much ill fitting plastic.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by David Dennison
I've looked everywhere but I can't find a fix. I have a 2013 Mini Cooper S Coupe. There is a rattle that sometimes presents itself randomly on the passenger side of the dash. Does anyone have a fix for this? It's driving me crazy. Thanks guys!
Well, it will even get worse with time, believe me. The body shell is rock solid but the plastic trim is cheap beyond belief. I never owned a car with so much rattle issues in the last 30 years.

Depending of the temperature,, they come and go and they are very hard to pinpoint. I have one coming from the left B pillar trim when it is colder. This trim piece sounds very hollow but is well in place with the clips. Now, I have one from what seems the left A pillar or top windshield.

We could have a tread dedicated to these problems.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:46 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just ask my girlfriend to prod around the car for squeaks and buzzes. She has some kind of echolocation that I don't and she zones in on whatever it is.
The last noise I had that matches your description was the A pillar at the point my HK tweeter joins to the pillar.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:54 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific
I just ask my girlfriend to prod around the car for squeaks and buzzes. She has some kind of echolocation that I don't and she zones in on whatever it is.
The last noise I had that matches your description was the A pillar at the point my HK tweeter joins to the pillar.
I don't have the HK... this is not a problem.

It may come from the plastic cowl covers rubbing against the windshield from in or out.

The B pillar rattling...... The clips may be badly designed and I am sure the dealer will put sealant before putting them back.

I am trying to book for the second maintenance schedule and will see.......

Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 PM
flyjets01
2nd Gear
I have the same noise your complaining about.
To me it sounds like it's in the passenger dash towards the Top.

But it could easily be the A arm echoing.

Ian

Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
I had the small rattle in the lower inside a pillar , it was at the connection from the dash to the a-pillar , Velcro felt tape was installed by MINI

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-16-2016, 02:05 PM
flyjets01
2nd Gear
Took mine to dealer today couldn't take it anymore.

Tech heard the noise and knew exactly where it was took off A pillar and top dash used Felt tape on both and it's now silent as can be.

What a fun machine this is.

Ian

Old 03-16-2016, 02:08 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, i have the same one. Called that one.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-16-2016, 06:00 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flyjets01
Took mine to dealer today couldn't take it anymore.

Tech heard the noise and knew exactly where it was took off A pillar and top dash used Felt tape on both and it's now silent as can be.

What a fun machine this is.

Ian
Yeah, the rattles also get me crazy but I have to wait to go for service in about 2 months.

The back should be easy to locate. It now appears on a most regular basis on slightly rough pavement. The front one is mostly gone with the warmer weather.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:15 PM
flyjets01
2nd Gear
Richard

What is the JB+ I see people refer to?

Ian

Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flyjets01
Richard

What is the JB+ I see people refer to?

Ian
It is a plug-in chip or module that greatly improves the engine performance for less than $400.00 without other modifications.

As tested by Burger Tuning, it provides a gain of 20 HP and about 30 of torque from the engine. I believe these figures with proper set-up and depending of the climatic conditions.

I am impressed and don't ask for more on my JCW.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by dube53
Yeah, the rattles also get me crazy but I have to wait to go for service in about 2 months.

The back should be easy to locate. It now appears on a most regular basis on slightly rough pavement. The front one is mostly gone with the warmer weather.
Did you ever pinpoint that rear rattle ? Front one is that dash A pillar on the interior ( felt tape or velcro ), i think every r58 has that issue.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:32 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Did you ever pinpoint that rear rattle ? Front one is that dash A pillar on the interior ( felt tape or velcro ), i think every r58 has that issue.
The pictures of the quarter window inside trim panels you posted last week have been useful to have a pretty good idea from where this rattle is coming from.

As for the front, I cannot figure out the exact location.

Mini certainly have service bulletins on these issues.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome, on the front dash rattle , i had mine here : " lower inside a pillar " which sometimes sounded like the top dash, center, and bounced around with the sound , it was that a pillar connection.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nger-side.html

Old 03-19-2016, 06:38 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Welcome, on the front dash rattle , i had mine here : " lower inside a pillar " which sometimes sounded like the top dash, center, and bounced around with the sound , it was that a pillar connection.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nger-side.html
........Interesting..... you said that it seems to come from the top of the dash. It was also my feeling. Nothing seems lose there as I checked so many times but I will mention at service time. Again, Thanks for the valuable information.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:57 PM
flyjets01
2nd Gear
Drove the R58 100 miles since repair and it really has taken care of this issue.

Ian

Old 03-24-2016, 08:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by dube53
........Interesting..... you said that it seems to come from the top of the dash. It was also my feeling. Nothing seems lose there as I checked so many times but I will mention at service time. Again, Thanks for the valuable information.
Welcome.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Eugene Arnold
1st Gear
It's so crazy to hear people complain about a little rattling noise! You own a coupe!!! Have fun with it, dang I'm having so much fun in my R58 that I don't have time to listen for rattling noises. I'm sorry I just think that's a silly thing to complain about. And for all the people who want quick fixes for it, well there is none, live with it or go get a new car, I'm sure someone else would love to have your rattling coupe.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:53 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eugene Arnold
It's so crazy to hear people complain about a little rattling noise! You own a coupe!!! Have fun with it, dang I'm having so much fun in my R58 that I don't have time to listen for rattling noises. I'm sorry I just think that's a silly thing to complain about. And for all the people who want quick fixes for it, well there is none, live with it or go get a new car, I'm sure someone else would love to have your rattling coupe.
I know, right?

It's like those people that don't like their faded stripes.

It's so crazy to hear people complain about a little fading! You own a coupe!!! Have fun with it, dang I'm having so much fun in my R58 that I don't have time to look at fading stripes. I'm sorry I just think that's a silly thing to complain about. And for all the people who want quick fixes for it, well there is none, live with it or go get a new car, I'm sure someone else would love to have your ratty-striped coupe.

Oh wait...

Old 03-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Complaining about people complaining about rattles, that's odd. Complaining about people who complain about complaining is perfectly normal. 🙈

Old 03-25-2016, 11:29 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Complaining about people complaining about rattles, that's odd. Complaining about people who complain about complaining is perfectly normal. 🙈
Of course!

It just amuses me when people can't understand why others' priorities don't match their own.

For instance, I don't care one bit about large wheels. Never have. To me, a 16" wheel looks just as good as a 18" wheel.

BUT, I totally get that wheel size may be very important to someone else, so I respect that rather than imply that they're silly for caring about it.

Likewise something that's important to me may not even be a consideration for someone else.

We're all different. Makes the world go 'round.

Quick Reply: R58 Rattling Noise From Dash on Passenger Side