R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 New owner, don't get the lack of love for this car

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 03:15 PM
MTVic
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner, don't get the lack of love for this car

Got to tell you I love this car. Have had Vettes, wife has an SLK, and we've shared many funcars. What I don't get is the poor reviews. They keep comparing it to the roomy cooper std and that's like comparing a Porsche 911 or boxter to the Cayenne. The fact that some people don't need all that room makes it wrong?

I actually believe if they had made more of them so people had seen them on lots they would have sold.

They dealer I bought it from said he only got a hand full allocated each year but got more Roadsters. Guess which one he still has on the lot?

Yes, a folding canvas Targa Top option would have helped, and yes most people want more room since they have families, but to me this car was designed as a weekend car like most 2 seater limited luggage cars and they just didn't market it well.

Hey,I don't remember them beating up on the Karman Gia because it wasn't a Bug.

Plan on keeping it a LONG time as a pleasure car.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:48 PM
flyjets01
2nd Gear
MtVic

I dont agree I think the problem was pricing the market in that price point was tough.

Used the R58 is a bargain and loads of fun but new for $35k there were better machines to be purchased then this nitch vehicle.

Lets be very clear about the R58 its loads of fun and in city traffic it maneuvers great.
But it just a small econo car with a engine that has a bit morepower then needed in the JCW version.

BTW took mine out on the race track along with a GP version and the R58 with a good driver runs with the GP model.

Ian

Old 03-30-2016, 10:08 PM
R58Driver
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flyjets01
MtVic

I dont agree I think the problem was pricing the market in that price point was tough.

Used the R58 is a bargain and loads of fun but new for $35k there were better machines to be purchased then this nitch vehicle.

Lets be very clear about the R58 its loads of fun and in city traffic it maneuvers great.
But it just a small econo car with a engine that has a bit morepower then needed in the JCW version.

BTW took mine out on the race track along with a GP version and the R58 with a good driver runs with the GP model.

Ian

Agreed well worded ..

Old 03-31-2016, 09:29 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase. Would love to see some pictures!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-31-2016, 10:56 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
The R58 was about the same price as the R56 similarly optioned. The price didn't kill it, the lack of a back seat did, especially in Europe. It shares the stiffer frame and body with the Roadster, but it has a top, so it handles/corners probably the best of any Mini ever made.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:55 PM
flyjets01
2nd Gear
Removed

Last edited by flyjets01; 03-31-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:26 PM
MTVic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Congratulations on the purchase. Would love to see some pictures!
Pretty Plain, but I like it.

Attached Thumbnails New owner, don't get the lack of love for this car-img_20160331_163710.jpg   New owner, don't get the lack of love for this car-img_20160331_163801.jpg  
Old 03-31-2016, 02:38 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MTVic
Looks really good actually. I like the black jack mirror caps.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-31-2016, 02:41 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Got to tell you I love this car. Have had Vettes, wife has an SLK, and we've shared many funcars. What I don't get is the poor reviews. They keep comparing it to the roomy cooper std and that's like comparing a Porsche 911 or boxter to the Cayenne. The fact that some people don't need all that room makes it wrong?

I actually believe if they had made more of them so people had seen them on lots they would have sold.

They dealer I bought it from said he only got a hand full allocated each year but got more Roadsters. Guess which one he still has on the lot?

Yes, a folding canvas Targa Top option would have helped, and yes most people want more room since they have families, but to me this car was designed as a weekend car like most 2 seater limited luggage cars and they just didn't market it well.

Hey,I don't remember them beating up on the Karman Gia because it wasn't a Bug.

Plan on keeping it a LONG time as a pleasure car.
As an R58 owner i think it stands out and does get love, most people just dont know what it is and what the difference in the Hardtop vs Coupe.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-31-2016, 02:42 PM
flyjets01
2nd Gear
Good Looking ride you have there
ditto on the Union Jack caps.

Ian

Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
MtVic

Ian
There is no doubt it is an econo box and an overpriced one. Its main asset is driving pleasure and the way it looks as a curiosity. As for size, we have a real cargo space and this is another big asset.

If you are just driving in town, the JCW has a lot of power but if you are on freeways and driving uphills, it is mostly underpowered unless the engine is racing in higher RPM in lower gears. This is my experience even with the JB+ installed.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:46 AM
MTVic
1st Gear
MtVic

Ian
$35k ??? The list price for mine new was something like 28-29k back in 2013. My dealer has 3 2015 Roadsters in stock for MSRP stickers 29k-31k.

And of course street price is insanely lower, but that's not fair comparison since discontinued.

I was really referring to the reviews I seen. They don't really complain on price, they just beat up on it based upon 4 seat'er version.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Looks really good actually. I like the black jack mirror caps.
So do I!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:46 PM
dube53
6th Gear
$35k ??? The list price for mine new was something like 28-29k back in 2013. My dealer has 3 2015 Roadsters in stock for MSRP stickers 29k-31k.

And of course street price is insanely lower, but that's not fair comparison since discontinued.

I was really referring to the reviews I seen. They don't really complain on price, they just beat up on it based upon 4 seat'er version.
The reviews on the Coupe have never been fair to show how it is a far better car than the HT about road handling, overall interior space and comfort for taller drivers.

They are the reasons I bought a Coupe. Otherwise, I would have never bought a Mini. The cargo space is larger and far more accessible and I never have more than one passenger.

It suits my needs as a daily driver. It is not the ideal car where I live and work now because it is always dirty and muddy but I enjoy it.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I really like mine. Mine was $45K+ new , i did not spend that, someone else did. For my options its very rare and i have added some MINI Goodwood pieces on top of everything, so its very posh. Its been a great car, the rear wing did need adjusted and trunk made some noise , so the buffer were set with the lock. The roof stripes did need replaced. Other then that, its been great. Gets the looks also.

Handles great on the track and feels a little bit smoother in transition then my r56 MCS did.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-07-2016, 07:52 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I really like mine. Mine was $45K+ new , i did not spend that, someone else did. For my options its very rare and i have added some MINI Goodwood pieces on top of everything, so its very posh. Its been a great car, the rear wing did need adjusted and trunk made some noise , so the buffer were set with the lock. The roof stripes did need replaced. Other then that, its been great. Gets the looks also.

Handles great on the track and feels a little bit smoother in transition then my r56 MCS did.
You should share more detailed pictures for what you got for $45K plus the upgrades you installed.

I am sure this is not a daily driver.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by dube53
You should share more detailed pictures for what you got for $45K plus the upgrades you installed.

I am sure this is not a daily driver.

I switch between the R52 and the R58, the R58 comes out when its not snowing and i drive it daily in the spring-summer- fall. The original owner had the whole roof painted custom BMW alpine white ( at MINI ) and had custom white stripes at delivery, plus red stripes ( MINI Coupe did not have this option, they came in silver and black ) , the dealership did this for him to the tune of about ~3.5K , they also did the mirror caps, then had it tinted in the rear. He had a full sticker ( not much room left ) and then a add on sticker from MINI with dealer installed options. You get that dealer add on sticker when you almost filled up the main sticker. Back in 2006 there was a R52 JCW full loaded at 50K, it had a full sticker and then every dealership add on you could think of , plus like paint protection...etc

The couple main thing i dont have are the JCW recaros, and autodim side mirrors, the leather/ alcantara dash and knee bolster. But I have the MINI Goodwood leather insert that are going in next. To match the dash.

We have a photo shoot soon here and I will have more updated pics.

My builds here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-boy-blue.html

Last edited by ECSTuning; 04-08-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:32 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I switch between the R52 and the R58, the R58 comes out when its not snowing and i drive it daily in the spring-summer- fall. The original owner had the whole roof painted custom BMW alpine white ( at MINI ) and had custom white stripes at delivery, plus red stripes ( MINI Coupe did not have this option, they came in silver and black ) , the dealership did this for him to the tune of about ~3.5K , they also did the mirror caps, then had it tinted in the rear. He had a full sticker ( not much room left ) and then a add on sticker from MINI with dealer installed options. You get that dealer add on sticker when you almost filled up the main sticker. Back in 2006 there was a R52 JCW full loaded at 50K, it had a full sticker and then every dealership add on you could think of , plus like paint protection...etc

The couple main thing i dont have are the JCW recaros, and autodim side mirrors, the leather/ alcantara dash and knee bolster. But I have the MINI Goodwood leather insert that are going in next. To match the dash.

We have a photo shoot soon here and I will have more updated pics.

My builds here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-boy-blue.html

You have a nice Coupe but I would not pay 50K back in 2006 for a Mini not even now.

There is a lot of far better cars in this price range with better performance, option packages and overall quality.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, its allot , but the MINI is a very fun car. I have driven allot of cars , MINI is the most fun.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:11 PM
AnthonyR58s
1st Gear
Congrats !!! the black jack covers do add a nice touch

Old 04-14-2016, 06:21 PM
flyjets01
2nd Gear
removed

Last edited by flyjets01; 04-14-2016 at 06:47 PM.