R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Unfounded fear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012 | 11:53 AM
Chancester
|
Neutral
Unfounded fear?

Hi Coupers! Really love the looks of the Coupe but am reluctant to get one because of merging on busy highways. In particular, merging from the left when the traffic is coming at 60 mph+ from the right.

I run into that situation often in South Florids and it has never ever bothered me in my Hartop due to the fantastic visibility. Am I crazy to worry about this, or will it be a problem?

Any of you have experience with this situation? I appreciate any feedback.

Old 08-01-2012 | 12:13 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
My next MINI will be a Coupe and I can't imagine it will be much worse than driving my 05 MCS Convertible with the roof up.

The key to driving with a small rear window and small side-rear windows is always being aware of the cars around you. It's important when driving cars with good visibility but even more so when driving one with limited visibility. Always be checking your mirrors and always be aware of the cars in your general vicinity and you'll have no problems.

And merging onto highways or interstates.... not a problem, you have an angle to see them and you'll be picking up on the traffic well before you merge.

Old 08-01-2012 | 12:59 PM
KenWarren
2nd Gear
Learn to set your side view mirrors so they don't show you what's behind you, and learn to be aware of the traffic around you.

Old 08-01-2012 | 02:40 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Easy, merge with the gas pedal, I hate people that merge slower than traffic.

Look ahead for your space then accelerate into it then slowly decelerate to traffic speed.

Old 08-01-2012 | 03:25 PM
skylinezx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KenWarren
Learn to set your side view mirrors so they don't show you what's behind you, and learn to be aware of the traffic around you.

Chancester, this advice about learning to set the mirrors is the best that you'll hear. It makes an immense difference -- yes, it will be difficult to get used to at first, but then you'll adjust every car you drive that way. You can search google for sites that describe what KenWarren is talking about. Start with your current car and you'll notice a big difference right away.

My coupe is on order, but I too had an '05 conv (with much worse blind spots than the coupe) and never had an issue.

Old 08-01-2012 | 03:47 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
No need to search. Go to Car Talk.
http://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-5
Also, to help with foward vision when the stop lights are in the blind spot above the windshield so you don't have to lean forward, bend you neck over and look like a dork.
http://www.lightinsight.com/

Old 08-02-2012 | 06:28 AM
Chor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by skylinezx

Chancester, this advice about learning to set the mirrors is the best that you'll hear. It makes an immense difference -- yes, it will be difficult to get used to at first, but then you'll adjust every car you drive that way. You can search google for sites that describe what KenWarren is talking about. Start with your current car and you'll notice a big difference right away.

My coupe is on order, but I too had an '05 conv (with much worse blind spots than the coupe) and never had an issue.

Cant emphasize this enough!! The uneducated seem to think visibility is an issue in the coupe, but simply adust your mirrors correctly and there is no problem with side vision. I have found there to be a minimal blind spot certainly no greater than most vehicles and better than most (my wife's Saab 93 convertible is Horrendous!
Don't let this be a reason you don't get a Coupe, you will hate yourself for it!

Old 08-02-2012 | 08:36 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Yep- properly adjusted mirrors, checking for your spot BEFORE you get to the merge, and accelerating early to merge at traffic speed instead of below it should combine to relieve your anxiety.

Personally, I find backing out of parking spaces much more problematic. You cannot adjust your mirrors to compensate for a Navigator on 24" spinners on one side of you an an H2 on the other blocking your view. Good thing I like backing INTO parking spaces instead.

Last edited by BillTheCat; 08-03-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2012 | 10:31 AM
pgrmstr
2nd Gear
For reference, I am 5' 9" but another this I noticed, if the passenger headrest is all the way up, you can see quite well to the right, allowing clear viability between the B and C pillars on that side. With the headrest down all the way, it blocks that little window.

I have had no real issue with visability...and nothing to make it a deal breaker. I had a 370z before this and this is MUCH better

Old 08-05-2012 | 11:16 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
+1 on backing in to parking spaces! It's the easiest thing to do in a MINI!

And +1 on having the mirrors properly adjusted. If you're aware of your surroundings while driving, merging into traffic should be a cake walk. The beauty of having a Coupé is that you can pick the hole you want in traffic, and it'll simply go there!

Don't hesitate in buying an R58. You won't regret it!